Howdy and first complaint

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

albalmer

Greetings - my name is Al Balmer. I live in NY or AL, depending on the weather, and plan to travel extensively in the coming years. I have a 2018 Winnebago Travato model K (bought new), which the manufacturer didn't quite finish building. I've found minor bits and pieces (screws, etc.) which were easy to install, but I just discovered that the rear hanger bolts for the straps which hold the gray tank were never installed.
Unfortunately, I'm 2 hours from a dealer. Fortunately, there's a hardware store nearby.
If you buy a Winnebago, I suggest that a thorough inspection, topside and bottomside, is in order.

It's unfortunate, but I've learned that is pretty much any brand RV (at least that I can afford :) ). 

Worth your time on a new one to check all plumbing connections, both hand tight threaded and pex crimp, as well as the terminal connections in the panels for the breakers, ground bars, transfer switch, fireplace, AC, and anything else you can get to.  Fortunately my rig now was used, so whatever the Factory left undone either fell off already, got fixed, or didn't matter.

Hi Al and welcome. Did you take pictures and document these issues by any chance? Winnebago Owner Relations is quite responsive helping customers especially when still in house warranty. Was this unit a lot queen (sat at the dealer for several months) or did you take delivery right after the dealer received it from Winnebago?

Sadly that can happen with any brand. The only new RV we ever bought was much the same and not a Winnebago product.  Things happen on the assembly line, stuff doesn't happen according to plan, and the rig gets finished, sort-of, in haphazard fashion.  Often in a separate work area dedicated to fixing up mistakes and omissions. Took us abut 10 months to get [almost] everything straightened out.

Thanks for the replies. The RV was indeed a lot queen - a 2018 model that I bought in January 2019. Apparently never driven except for test runs - mileage was just delivery from the factory.
I did find some suitable hook bolts at Lowe's. It's a good idea to take pictures before I fix it. Soon - I'm in upstate NY, and it's been raining for a week.

Looks like a wealth of good information and expertise here.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
Sadly that can happen with any brand. The only new RV we ever bought was much the same and not a Winnebago product.  Things happen on the assembly line, stuff doesn't happen according to plan, and the rig gets finished, sort-of, in haphazard fashion.  Often in a separate work area dedicated to fixing up mistakes and omissions. Took us abut 10 months to get [almost] everything straightened out.

That brought back an old memory.

While in college in California, I spent one summer vacation working in a plant that manufactured mobile homes.

My job was to inspect finished units coming off the line and work with the crew that fixed things that were wrong or not done.

That experience came in handy much later in life.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skinldy71
Back
Top Bottom