HWH Leveling system

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

beau2x

I have a 2002 Itasca Horizon on a Freightliner chassis.  After deploying the leveling cylinders and bringing them home, the driver side front cylinder won't retract all the way.  It retracts until the weight of the vehicle is back on the suspension, then it stays there.  The first time this happened, I was able to insert a 2 X 4 under it and bring it up into stored position.  The second time I followed instructions in my manual (manually opened the solenoids) and I was barely able to move the cylinder, and only after I had disconnected the hydraulic hose on top of the cylinder.  Am I going to have to replace the cylinder, or is there a repair for it?  Thanks, Beau

If the ram is slightly bent, you need to replace. If you disconnected the hydraulic line and it still wouldn't move, that sounds like the case.

Before I would give up on it and replace the jack, I would put the jack down, and spray WD-40 on the seal where the ram goes into the jack.  If this doesnt help, and the jack still wont retract, even with the hydraulic hose disconnected, then you probably need a new jack.

Thanks for the replies.  I don't think that the ram is bent, but it could  be, and I haven't lubricated the shaft either.  I'll try it. Beau

Paul & Ann said:
Before I would give up on it and replace the jack, I would put the jack down, and spray WD-40 on the seal where the ram goes into the jack.  If this doesnt help, and the jack still wont retract, even with the hydraulic hose disconnected, then you probably need a new jack.

I had a slow moving jack also - slow to retract - so I started spraying all the jacks with silicone spray when they were down and now they all come up much faster or so it seems.  Even old slow poke (right rear) which took forever.  But I do this every 3 or 4 months.  I learned  in the Air Force that WD40 is not a lubricant and that when the liquid portion dries out, a deposit remains which slows rather than speeds up the action.

HWH has a refurb service.  You send in the jack and they'll fix it or replace it.  The last time I spoke with them, it was $150 plus shipping to them.  They pay shipping back.  If they have one in stock, they'll send it and you just send back the defective one.

thanks again for the replies.  If HWH offers a rebuild for $150, I'll probably take them up on it, after I try the silicone lube.  Beau

Bill N said:
I had a slow moving jack also - slow to retract - so I started spraying all the jacks with silicone spray when they were down and now they all come up much faster or so it seems.  Even old slow poke (right rear) which took forever.  But I do this every 3 or 4 months.  I learned  in the Air Force that WD40 is not a lubricant and that when the liquid portion dries out, a deposit remains which slows rather than speeds up the action.

HWH recommends using WD-40 on the jacks.

I had two fail, was able to buy used off Ebay.  Be sure to match the model numbers.  Bit of a PITA but changeable.  I posted a thread about how to do it some time ack.

Paul & Ann said:
HWH recommends using WD-40 on the jacks.

I have just read the HWH instruction manual that came my coach and WD40 is not mentioned anywhere in that manual.  No commercial brand lubricant or cleaner is mentioned, only that if a jack is covered with mud or dirt it should be cleaned before retraction.
    If this came from somebody on the phone I think you are just getting somebody who is still spreading the old tale about WD40 being the next coming of superlube.  Just ain't so.
    I can state without reservation that in my former hobby of restoring vintage and antique sewing machines, use of WD40 without following up with oil or another lubricant was only asking for more problems in the near future and this is for machines that were at one time successfully lubricated with sperm whale oil but still run as smooth as the day they were made with modern lubricants now.  JMHO.

Bill N said:
    I have just read the HWH instruction manual that came my coach and WD40 is not mentioned anywhere in that manual.  No commercial brand lubricant or cleaner is mentioned, only that if a jack is covered with mud or dirt it should be cleaned before retraction.
    If this came from somebody on the phone I think you are just getting somebody who is still spreading the old tale about WD40 being the next coming of superlube.  Just ain't so.
    I can state without reservation that in my former hobby of restoring vintage and antique sewing machines, use of WD40 without following up with oil or another lubricant was only asking for more problems in the near future and this is for machines that were at one time successfully lubricated with sperm whale oil but still run as smooth as the day they were made with modern lubricants now.  JMHO.

I agree that WD-40 is not a lubricant, however, in my experience, the problem with slow retracting jacks is not a problem of lack of lubricant on the rams, but that the seal where the ram goes into the jack dries out, and causes drag upon retraction, so the solution is to soften the seal, and WD-40 works for that.

I will have to try and find where someone mentioned that HWH recommends WD-40 on the jack seals.

Paul & Ann said:
I agree that WD-40 is not a lubricant, however, in my experience, the problem with slow retracting jacks is not a problem of lack of lubricant on the rams, but that the seal where the ram goes into the jack dries out, and causes drag upon retraction, so the solution is to soften the seal, and WD-40 works for that.

I will have to try and find where someone mentioned that HWH recommends WD-40 on the jack seals.

No need to pursue it further Paul.  WD40 discussions usually wind up the same as those on politics and religion - nobody wins and nobody changes their mind.  Whatever works is what's best I guess.  As far as my use of silicone, I know that it also attracts dust so, in a way, can cause a recurrence of the problem it is solving but since the jacks are stored after its use, the problem may not manifest itself as rapidly. There is a modern lubricant that has become popular because it also contains teflon.  It is called TriFlow and came into use primarily as a bicycle chain lubricant.  Used it a lot on my sewing machines and it works like a charm.  Maybe I'll try a shot of that on the jacks.

Bill N said:
No need to pursue it further Paul.  WD40 discussions usually wind up the same as those on politics and religion - nobody wins and nobody changes their mind.  Whatever works is what's best I guess.  As far as my use of silicone, I know that it also attracts dust so, in a way, can cause a recurrence of the problem it is solving but since the jacks are stored after its use, the problem may not manifest itself as rapidly. There is a modern lubricant that has become popular because it also contains teflon.  It is called TriFlow and came into use primarily as a bicycle chain lubricant.  Used it a lot on my sewing machines and it works like a charm.  Maybe I'll try a shot of that on the jacks.

I agree.  If you use a product that works for you, and I use a product that works for me, that is good enough. Thanks for the mention of Triflow, I will have to check it out.

Paul & Ann said:
I agree.  If you use a product that works for you, and I use a product that works for me, that is good enough. Thanks for the mention of Triflow, I will have to check it out.

Have seen TriFlow at some ACE hardware stores but every bicycle shop will have it, usually in small bottles with a spout tip.

I remember learning many years ago in aircraft maintenance class to wipe down the polished surface of actuators with the fluid that it operates in. So, I have used ATF on my HWH jack cylinders for the last 15 years, and have not had any problems. (Yet)  ;)

just to follow up.  My coach has been in the shop and I haven't been able to try any of these solutions.  I'll keep the forum posted on what happens.  Thanks Beau

Here is the bulletin from HWH where they indicate the use of WD40.

I have cleaned the seal area of the ram with WD40 and it did significantly help with retraction speed.

Safe Travels,
David

Attachments

• HWHml47149.pdf
    16.1 KB · Views: 13
yoda2405 said:
Here is the bulletin from HWH where they indicate the use of WD40.

I have cleaned the seal area of the ram with WD40 and it did significantly help with retraction speed.

Safe Travels,
David

Thanks for the bulletin but here is a quote:  "If the bearing is frozen or does not roll freely,
use WD-40 to loosen the bearing and then apply a few drops of motor oil (used is fine) to lubricate the
bearing."

In no place is WD40 used as a lubricant. In fact in a lower sentence they state to CLEAN the rod with either soap and water or WD40 so it is nothing more than a cleaner and not a lubricant and is interchangeable with soap and water.  Again, thanks for the bulletin and I shall file it with other similar bulletins.

Back
Top Bottom