Hydro Flame Furnance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoelR

Hello
I have a Hydro Flame Furnace by atwood, the only way I can get it to light is if I hold my hand over the exhaust while the igniter is clicking, once it lights I can move my hand away slowly and it stays burning.
once it reaches temp inside the trailer it will stop and I have to go threw the hole process again. Any Ideas not sure where  to start?
Thank you

Welcome to the forum Joel,

This a link to troubleshooting the Furnace. It was written by one of the more knowledgeable folk around here

http://www.rvforum.net/miscfiles/Furnace_Trouble-2.pdf

Thank you, I went to the link and went threw it but it seems that my issue is not listed, The furnace seems to be doing everything it should, I turn thermostat on the blower comes on, the gas value opens and the igniter works, but will not lite until I cover the exhaust. I can smell gas in the exhaust before I put my hand over it.
the article is awesome just does not seem to address my problem. 

Check the igniter area you may have some spider webs or other debris blocking the spark from the gas.

? Once the furnace has lite would it not burn anything that is in there?  I do not have access to the unit, it only has the exhaust  pipe out of the side of the camper and inside when I remove the panel it the back side of the furnace with no access door?  Do I have to remove the hole unit to inspect?
Sorry for all the questions I'm new to this!

JoelR said:
? Once the furnace has lite would it not burn anything that is in there?  I do not have access to the unit, it only has the exhaust  pipe out of the side of the camper and inside when I remove the panel it the back side of the furnace with no access door?  Do I have to remove the hole unit to inspect?
Sorry for all the questions I'm new to this!

Your Questions are no problem...That's what this forum is all about. The only thing we ask in return is to let us know when/if we find the problem.

In regards to getting to the burner area, It will depend on how the furnace was installed. If you have some webs or other debris behind the area of the flame it may not burn when the unit lights.

Let's back up a little....What is the make, model, and year of your RV? 

While I'm doing some research you may want to explore other options as to getting inside the furnace. You should have a side panel that opens.

The part of your issue that's throwing me is it will only light if you cover the exhaust port.

What happens with the furnace if you don't cover the exhaust port?

I found this information on another site....Maybe it will help

Re: Atwood 7916-11 Furnace Lights Only When Blocking Exhaust. FIXED!!

FIXED! I replaced the regulator and blew out the lines..no resolve. Time to start disassembly. I found the burner to be rusty, pretty much clogged. Cleaned it with a wire brush and it came out spotless. Vacuumed out the chamber, put it all together and viola, we have heat!
It appears water is coming in through the exhaust and into the furnace. Rusty burner plus there is water damage below the furnace on the cabinets and slight rust stains coming out of the furnace. That doesn't seem like it should happen. Anybody have any insight on that.
Thanks all

It goes threw its cycle, Blower, Gas, spark ( 3 times ) and then it shuts off. I have to turn it off and back on and it starts the cycle again.

Thank you for the research, sounds like the furnace will be coming out this weekend to go threw it.
I will let you know what I find once I get it out.

JoelR said:
It goes threw its cycle, Blower, Gas, spark ( 3 times ) and then it shuts off. I have to turn it off and back on and it starts the cycle again.

OK that being the case you are going to have to inspect the burner chamber. Depending on where the furnace is located you may need to remove it.

Ours is under a Jack knife sofa and I would have to take the sofa apart in order to service the furnace.

Best of luck and please let us know

Mine is under my stove, really have know Idea how to gain access, it will be an adventure Im sure.

JoelR said:
Mine is under my stove, really have know Idea how to gain access, it will be an adventure Im sure.

Adventure - To take a new path into the unknown...Also known as a pain in the A$$. ;D ;D

Good luck

Definitely clean up the two external tubes to the burner, combustion air intake and exhaust. No, the exhaust isn't ho enough to burn up even spider werbs and won't even come close to affecting mud dauber wasp nests or rust flakes (both common problems).

Okay, was not to bad, did not find any critters or debris in the furnace, did find the burner holes to be slightly narrowed, (opened them up)
The biggest issue I found once I got the unit out was the Duct work directly under the furnace was pinched and not letting the air flow as it should. I repaired the duct put the unit back in and it fired up on the first try.
Has been working great!

Glad you got it fixed...I'm not sure if the duct issue would cause it not to run. But the important thing is you got it working. Perhaps Gary will come back and give us some feedback,

Thanks for the update

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bridger
Back
Top Bottom