I-10 East through Houston. Yes or bypass?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stvaughn

Traveling through Houston east bound on Monday around noon. Should I use use I-10 or bypass north on 105?

My answer is going to be bypass north on TX105 unless you are passing through on a Sunday morning, in which case maybe take I-10, though given the current construction that has recently been reported on I-10 in places, it may be TX105 even then.

Ike

p.s. I typically use the TX105 route 2-3 times per year, though have not done it in about 11 months.  If you take TX105, please report back on conditions as I will be heading through east bound myself in about 2 weeks.

stvaughn said:
Traveling through Houston east bound on Monday around noon. Should I use use I-10 or bypass north on 105?

How far East is your final destination?

I-10 through Houston around noon should be fine.  You will likely hit a bit of a slow down by Beltway 8, then 610, and again right through downtown, but it won't be the messy rush hour stuff.  An accident anywhere through there could really mess up my words, but you can't predict those.  105 would really probably be depending on where you are coming from.

I'm not sure what it's like right now, but last year about this time, the bigger mess was through Beaumont and on towards Louisiana.  But again, it's been a while since I've heard any reports from through there.

I live in Houston. Coming from Austin at noon: I-10 through Houston OR 290 into Beltway 8 (toll) around to I-10 OR 290 into Loop 610 around to I-10 will all work. Anything further North could add an hour or more and going South would be counterproductive.  Note: an accident can happen anywhere along your route and wreak havoc.

So 10 thru Houston is OK, road/construction etc OK?  We are planning a Sunday Morning traverse from west to east. 

stvaughn said:
Traveling from Austin to Destin

We took a similar route this past winter-- Austin to New Orleans. Thanks to the recommendations from folks here we took a southern route-- away from Interstate highways. South out of Houston toward Galveston and then along the coast via Route 82. Two lane roads but good road with very little traffic and very scenic-- often right along the waterfront. Two ferries were part of the trip and that alone make it a most interesting route. Unless you're in a hurry, you might want to check it out.

The second time I drove a 39 foot DP that my girlfriend had just bought we went from a small town 30 miles east of Houston into Houston so the dealer could buy and install a pair of batteries for us. He was not happy about doing this and he drove us into Houston taking a route that included a long curving freeway on ramp that had concrete bumpers lining each side of the road. It was very tight. I thought for sure I would scrape one but I didn't. The other few times I drove it through Houston it was a piece of cake.

hleap said:
I live in Houston. Coming from Austin at noon: I-10 through Houston OR 290 into Beltway 8 (toll) around to I-10 OR 290 into Loop 610 around to I-10 will all work. Anything further North could add an hour or more and going South would be counterproductive.  Note: an accident can happen anywhere along your route and wreak havoc.

How is it taking the toll road with a TT and no pass? How do you pay toll?

From Austin, 105 is not really out of the way. The miles are close to the same, depending on where you join I-10.
Time difference might be a factor. but probably only a half an hour, depending on traffic.

Our travel plans have changed a bit and Houston is not going to be a Sunday AM, so what about 610 over the top?

Also considering stopping in Livingston,, TX at Escapees, this adds some miles, but also puts us around Houston.

PancakeBill said:
Our travel plans have changed a bit and Houston is not going to be a Sunday AM, so what about 610 over the top?

Also considering stopping in Livingston,, TX at Escapees, this adds some miles, but also puts us around Houston.

If you're going through Livingston, anyway, just run up 99 to I-69. Then take US-190 East from Livingston.

Traffic issues on i610 north loop vs i10 through the center of Houston is basically a coin toss most of the time in my experience.  I am not sure of any current construction either way, but there was major construction on i610 on the south side near the medical center as of a month or so ago, which I expect to still be going on for some time.

A follow up from my original question. I took 105 from Brenham to Beaumont and stopped over at the KOA in Montgomery. It?s a good road and I didn?t have any significant issues. Anytime I can avoid interstate traffic through cities I try to. I would definitely do it again. Thanks for the tip.

We are doing the 99 up and the other one back, avoiding Houston.  We did San Antonio today!  yipes, even with the belt road the construction was tough, lots of narrow width travel lanes.  I didn't think it was bad, but Jolene says she needs a Valium if we have to do it again.  Most of TX is long, but easy.  El Paso was a cinch.  So, Livingston tomorrow and a couple rest days.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GoldenOldie
Back
Top Bottom