I-10 road conditions Louisiana to Texas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

msw3113

Can anyone advise whether I-10 is open westbound in Louisiana? We will be driving that route next week and will alter our route if necessary. It would be useful to know ahead of time.
I-10 may not be everyone's favorite road but it's the quickest way to our destination.
Thanks for any guidance.

No idea if it is open but I'm rather certain that's the route that caused my tow dolly to bump up and down so much that it bottomed out at one point. They set those bridge gaps at equal distances (I get why) but it causes rhythmic oscillations up and down which leads to catastrophe if you don't slow down at some points, since the motion just keeps building. Actually hated it through Louisiana. Nothing but a two lane bridge each way with few pull offs

I live in SW Louisiana, but it is has been about a year since I took I-10 to Houston (I usually go the back on on US90 or TX105 depending on what part of Houston I am heading to), at that point in time there was construction near Winnie about 17 miles west of Beaumont for about 10 miles, with narrow lanes and concrete K rails. There has also recently been construction in Louisiana on the west side of Lake Charles where the I-210 and I-10 interchange is, though I again don't know if this has been completed. For the Lake Charles area, I would strongly advise taking the I-210 loop around town, it will add a couple of miles, but you will avoid the I-10 Calcasieu river bridge which is a narrow steep bridge built in 1949, one of the steepest bridges on the interstate highway system (was the US 90 bridge when it was built, and is LONG overdue for replacement).

Traveled thru Louisiana to Texas 2 weeks ago. IH 10 was open all the way to loop around Lake Charles to avoid bridge. Crossover into Texas was much better than expected. IH 10 thru Orange still under construction but very driveable. Pretty much able to maintain highway speed. Best to you!

March 2020 I took I-10 across Louisiana and across Texas.
It was so rough that November 2020 I took I-20 to avoid 10.
It bounced so bad my cabinet doors opened and spread the pots and pans into the living area.
Road construction areas were very rough, narrow and would surprise me.
I was pulling a 5th wheel.
Plus I like to take different routes and see new sights.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom