I-80/Winter/Anti Freeze/year round RV parks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, there seems to be a unanimous DON'T DO THAT coming from the community here. lol. As I'm inexperienced and you folks are seasoned vets, I think I'll take your advice and avoid I-80 in favor of the southern route. Are RV parks open along I-40 during the winter? How much antifreeze do I need to put in my tanks?
Glad to hear that you're reconsidering the route.
In my trucking days, I ran I-80 in the winter a number of times, and it is not an easy run. Even in the summer it can throw you a curve.
I would probably not carry too much water, as you will likely see some freezing temps along the I-40 route. Not nearly what I-80 will have waiting for you.

You'll still want to keep an eye on the weather, and be willing to hole up for a day or two if it turns on you.

Are RV parks open along I-40 during the winter? How much antifreeze do I need to put in my tanks?
You should be able to find open RV parks along I-40 but you will need to watch the weather closely and be prepared to sit for several days any time that weather gets nasty to wait out road conditions. I-10 would be a much better choice if you are in any kind of hurry as you could loose a week or more to weather on I-40. If you take I-10 and then shift to I-20 up toward the Dallas area you will still need to watch the weather as that road too can get bad but it rarely lasts for more than a couple of days and much of the time you could transit it with no bad roads at all. As you approach Dallas on I-20 you will have the opportunity to shift more northerly on I-30 but if you do so your risk of winter road conditions will also increase. You would probably be wiser to stay with I-20 into Alabama.

If you do take the safe southern route on I-10 all of the way to I-12 & I-59 in Louisiana before you head north into places that have winter roads to worry about. It would be a couple of hundred miles farther but have very little chance of bad roads.

You probably will not need antifreeze in fresh water tank, but put about half a tank of water so you can flush. A few degrees below freezing will be fine for a few hours at night, but hopefully you will have sunny and warmer days to keep tanks from freezing.

Kirk said what I would have said, just in a lot better fashion. Lifelong Wyo resident. I80 can be a very nice drive, or totally impassable. And it can change just over the hill! Wyoroad.info will get you road conditions and links to weather.

Northern Cali probably gets snow, but when was the last time you drove on ICE with 50+ mph constant winds? Expect that for 80 from Utah to Nebraska. I had my first experience of freezing fog in Missouri in 2019. Its very different than what we see here in Wyo.

You'll find RV lots open all year in Wyoming, they will be packed mostly by those employed by the oil and gas industry.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom