I created a new RV leveling device

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

warp929

One of my camping peeves is leveling my truck camper after driving for many hours. Usually, my young son is ready to run and gets impatient as he waits for me to try several different tire block combinations. I decided to solve the issue by making a device that tells me exactly how many blocks to put under each wheel before I even step out of the truck. I figure others might like it to.

1) Pull into site and turn Leveler on. (It's already mounted and calibrated in my center console.)
2) Leveler indicates how many blocks per wheel. If it's more than 5 on any particular wheel, I move the truck around to find a better spot.
3) Once I find a good spot, I roll back about 8 inches and place blocks in front of the wheels noted on the Leveler. If I do have to go to 5 blocks on a wheel, then I back up 16 inches so I can place two rows of blocks to create a small ramp.
4) Drive up onto the blocks
5) Check the Leveler readout. It will show Zero blocks for each wheel to indicate it is level.

If you’d like to know more, I made a YouTube video regarding my inclinometer device. The current version is even easier to install since pre-leveling the RV is no longer necessary.

It would be great if 2 people could help test the device. My requirements would be:
  • Experienced RV owner that uses tire blocks. Most likely a truck camper, Class B, or a Class C without leveling jacks
  • The prototype would get used a few times within 2 weeks of delivery.
  • You’ll give me feedback so I can improve the product if you find something undesirable.
  • You’ll return the prototype to me within 3 weeks of delivery. I’ll send it out with a prepaid return label.
  • I’d like to charge a $25 deposit for the device. That’s just a reminder fee since the prototypes cost many times that. I’ll refund the charge as soon as I receive the prototype back.

In return for your time, effort, and constructive feedback, I’m willing to give you a unit after testing and debugging ends.

Please let me know if you are interested in testing a prototype.

I appreciate any comments you have. Especially, is you think this may be a viable product.

Attachments

• 20220828_215351 - Copy (Small).jpg
    20220828_215351 - Copy (Small).jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 6
I just watched the youtube video, impressive little device you have there, I would be interested, except I have hydraulic leveling jacks (manual, not automatic). The only change I might make to it is a larger display / larger font for people that are getting to the age of having trouble reading fine print.

Great looking device.

Might it be better if it was calibrated in inches instead of blocks? That way the user could decide what kind of blocks to use. A degree more difficult is a switch so you can calibrate in blocks or inches.

Gee. I had a couple of bubble levels one on the dash one on the "Wall" under the drivers window (Class A) and learned very quickly to translate the reading on the level into inches of lumber.
For one thing they are already calibrated for side-side leveling.

Back when I was still using blocks under our then Class C motorhome I used a set of levels like the ones pictured below. With one installed for side to side and the other for front to back, the markings quickly told me how much I need to raise which wheels. About $10 on Amazon...

51Fyywtgj8L._AC_.jpg

Great product idea. The more options we have, the better. Thanks for your development efforts. Hope it goes well for you.

Thanks for the comments.
@Isaac-1 - A larger screen may be a future version but for this one, I can certainly look into a larger font.

@Ex-Calif - There are other screens showing inches and roll/pitch. Blocks is just one the one I use.

@NY_Dutch - A bubble gauge is much less accurate than my device. Also, it doesn't compensate for different lengths and widths of RVs.

@FunSteak - The technology is likely similar but mine should be cheaper and doesn't require grabbing your cellphone and opening an app. You can if you want to but it's not a requirement. Is the range good on the LevelMate Pro?

@phil-t & @Domo - Thank you.

@FunSteak - The technology is likely similar but mine should be cheaper and doesn't require grabbing your cellphone and opening an app. You can if you want to but it's not a requirement. Is the range good on the LevelMate Pro?
I can't say what the overall range is, since I just have my phone on the dash while parking and levelling. I can say that it's never lost signal even for a moment unless the battery was dead. Sensor unit is mounted in a high cabinet behind our kitchen, so maybe 12' or so from my phone while in use.

I do like the display on your unit. Provided there is a good spot to mount it on the dash, that's a cool idea.

Back when I was still using blocks under our then Class C motorhome I used a set of levels like the ones pictured below. With one installed for side to side and the other for front to back, the markings quickly told me how much I need to raise which wheels. About $10 on Amazon...

View attachment 157181
I've had a set of those on every RV trailer I ever owned. At the time there was nothing else to calculate degree of slope to inches per foot. There is no direct conversion formula to convert degree of slope to inches per foot, but it can be solved with trig.
This leveling device invention should become a "can't do without" in a few years, when most Rvers will never have never known a world without electronics.

I've had a set of those on every RV trailer I ever owned. At the time there was nothing else to calculate degree of slope to inches per foot. There is no direct conversion formula to convert degree of slope to inches per foot, but it can be solved with trig.
This leveling device invention should become a "can't do without" in a few years, when most Rvers will never have never known a world without electronics.
Our Class C was just 21 feet long, and the inch markings on the level set were surprisingly accurate. I don't know how they'd be on our current 34' Class A though. Now I just push the "Auto" button on the leveler panel.

Lots of ways to solve the issue. I just think mine is simpler and faster.

I'm a bit surprised no one wants to try it out. When I was working in the corporate world, I should have given the sales and marketing team more credit!

Lots of ways to solve the issue. I just think mine is simpler and faster.

I'm a bit surprised no one wants to try it out. When I was working in the corporate world, I should have given the sales and marketing team more credit!
I would volunteer to try it but our MH has a fully-automatic HWH leveling system that gets it level every time.
Is your invention similar to the LogicBlue Technology device.

I bought leveling blocks for my husband but they were actually for me so I didn't have to keep stacking the other leveling blocks! They are EXTREMELY easy to use and we had no problem with them flying in the grass when reversing. They are very sturdy and a great product in every way. We have a 35ft trailer with slides and they hold the weight with no problem.

Back
Top Bottom