I know there are others who feel/have felt like this

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
EC Mama:

You might want to check the Rally section of this forum.  Lots of threads there about the many rallies we have held all over the U.S.

You can have the toys as I would give them up for a nice warm relationship, which I have, and good spiritual wellbeing.  Not saying I don't like the toys but there are things much more important.  As far as competing with the Jone's in the RV world, I have much better things to do.  Life is too short to worry about them.  Just be a solid, balanced person and the rest will follow.

Phil

motojavaphil said:
You can have the toys as I would give them up for a nice warm relationship, which I have, and good spiritual wellbeing.  Not saying I don't like the toys but there are things much more important.  As far as competing with the Jone's in the RV world, I have much better things to do.  Life is too short to worry about them.  Just be a solid, balanced person and the rest will follow.

Phil

Well said Phil.  Along those lines, I went to a college football game today (U of Illinois vs. Indiana U) today and was pleased to see MH's of all ages/sizes in the various tailgating areas.  There's no reason you need to have the biggest/best/most modern rig to still have a great time with it!  ;D

We must all remember though - an old saying -? He/She who has the most toys when they died win

The statement may be OK to get a few YUK's, but in the context of this discussion I feel is an over simplification.? People with compulsion to shop and to buy need help in dealing with the root cause of their behaviour particularly if that behaviour impacts the quality of their life or their relationships in a negative way.

Some suggestions on dealing with these behaviours are contained on this page:

HOW CAN I MANAGE COMPULSIVE SHOPPING and SPENDING {SHOPOHOLISM}

Phil and Scotty, I've got to agree with you about the toys.? As many here on the Forum including, Tom, Ned , Smoky, Bob, Dave, Terry, Ron, Russ and many others that were at the Q last Jan can attest too, you can have your toys out here.? When I went to the Q, I loaded a golf cart and all the tools.? Electric Ban Saw, Cut off, Air Comp,? All the Air Compress tools, Electric planner, torches( Big Dummy forgot the Acetylene.) Lamps cords, solder guns, hundreds of wrenches and hand tools, too many to mention.? My trailer is basically a moving tool shed.? This year might bring a 4 wheeler? ?Who knows.? I always figured you can't have too many? ? WRONG? ?When you have too many duplicates? time to cut back, but again that's my hobby trying to be prepared, from way beck in the Boy Scout training.? I just went overboard.

No lie Shayne! 

Let's see ... at El Mirage you have 2 park models, one motorhome, 2 golf carts, a great big Lincoln, 4 horseshoes, the world's best mobile chef and playwright ... am I missing anything?

Well the hubby took the whole weekend off and we talked alot about "stuff" and where our future will take us. Then somehow we ended up at a car dealer looking at conversion vans. Didn't get one, but starting to think it's atleast a step in the right direction and it's within our budget. He even mentioned doing some upgrades and taking it on some short trips. I know I can drive a van and would be scared to drive anything larger. I watched RV last night!

I feel so much better this week and I think we are coming to an understanding.. he even said he wanted to sell his pool table which is covered in more "stuff".
Thanks to everyone for all the kind words :)

east coast.  Why don't you suggest to him about renting an RV for a long weekend and if nothing else just go to a nice campgroundsomewhere near, but far enough that he can't run home and pickup his toys.  Go with the bare minimums and wing it/  Great possibility he will love it and your problems may be solved.  Heck while your at it make it easy for him, Rent a Class A, maybe a 30- 32 fter, You'd be surprised as to how easy they are to drive.  Many Many of the fine ladies here do much if not most of the driving.  Good Luck

this is not about stuff.  This is about his seeking happiness, and living under the false assumption that each new purchase will 'complete' his life and then he can 'start living'.

Each purchase is a diversion and an escape.  Until he accepts that happiness is not found in 'stuff' he will continue to spin his wheels in search of it.

Blame the TV.  Blame Marketing.  Blame commercials. 

It's made Americans feel like they have to be consumption monkeys, and their life is not complete unless they are surrounded by shiny stuff.  Oh, and last years model will not do...... you must upgrade!!

Break the cycle.

Mamma,
If you are still following this I have two suggestions. First, for those who say that "He who dies with the most toys, wins" I have an answer. He who dies with the most toys, is still just dead!

I would invite you to try and get him to take a look at our webpage, in my signature, and those of others who post here. It might just help to get him to see what he is missing. It has been said many times that no person on their death bed has ever been known to wish that they had spent more of their time working!

Toy's don't do you any good when your dead,better to be said he who enjoys his toy's win

Hello all. I posted last month about having problems with my husbands debt addiction. I've stopped back here a few times but kept getting an error for some reason, but wanted to post an update.

We have since traded my car in for a conversion van (used) and I felt some relief knowing that if I couldnt take it anymore atleast it would help me to run away. I've also started going through the house and throwing major amounts of junk out. My husband on the other hand has continued to talk about building a garage in the yard and we dont even own this property. Its under owner finance and set up as a rent to own. He's already converted one garage into a gameroom and put in french doors, added 3 decks, a hot tub, and a pool. This is a rent to own.. I dont know what he's thinking.

We are set to refinance in 6.5 years per contract, but the couple who are selling to us are very crooked people and have screwed several people out of their homes or thousands of dollars. Last spring they upped our payments over $300 a month.

Anyway I still dont know what I'm going to do. I love him but this addiction is killing me. I dont know how many years I can sit through it and he wont admit he has a problem. I tried to talk to him about it last night and he flipped out and made a list of things he needed to do like sell THIS house. We rent it. I dont know what he's thinking. And also buy a smaller house, but he has ruined his credit.

I'm thinking I need to try and put some money away in a seperate account incase I need to leave. If he's so deeply in denial I'm not living the life with him. I stuck through years of his alcohol addiction when my kids were babies. Once is enough. Now I'm working my arse off to pay his bills and its so not cool. He's definately the breadwinner, but it still doesnt cover all the payments we have. He left money for a weekly bank deposit this morning, $50 short because he overspent this weekend.

So I have my conversion van, I got some catalogs from Camping World and JCW.. planning some vacations after it warms up in about 4-5 months. If I have arrangements for my dogs I can go away any time I want. I work from home and have even worked in my car a few nights, I can surely work out of a van for a week :)

Back
Top Bottom