I pulled the plug on CIS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I hope you got the cancelation nbr from whoever you talked to.  I di and I advised them that they were no longer authorized to charge my CC and that should any charges be made it would be considered as fraud.

I received a strange email from CS saying that  "As a result of regulatory changes, we have removed you from your annual prepaid price plan and placed you on a semi-annual prepaid price plan."  So I checked out the available plans and see the annual plan still there with a plug for it saving $3 per month.  I emailed back asking what "regulatory changes" had been made and why there was still an annual plan offered.  I got an email back saying two contradictory things.  1.  I had been changed to semi-annual plan effective the expiration of my current annual plan, and I could change back to annual within 72 hours of the one year expiration.  2.  I was still on the annual plan, and if I did nothing, I would be charged for the next year on the annual date.  I have written back twice and continue to get no info in the "regulatory changes," no clarification of which plan I am currently considered by CS as being on, and no answer to my question asking whether Time-Warner trying to drive everybody away from unprofitable AOL-CS so they can unload it. 

Sounds like they're trying to make internal policy changes sound like something foisted on them by a true regulatory agency like the FCC or ICC. In either case, your EULA should make some reference to the amount of time they must give you before making any changes, therefore giving you the opportunity to assess their value (to you) and make an education decision to continue the service or not. Press for an answer!

It's getting to the point that we're just going to have to convoy along behind you, Ron.

Ron said:
One of the advantages of most RV Forum rallies now days is the availability of a satellite connect via wifi though one of the Framilys Satelite connection.? At Moab there will be more than a halh dozen internet satellite systems.

James Godward said:
Ron said:
I hope you got the cancelation nbr from whoever you talked to.?

I did and called the CC company to be sure they knew and would not accept any charges after the 26th.

im

I did like wise. But will still watch the CC account to make sure it don't slip by.

After days of back and forth conflicting emails from CS, I am now offered a monthly rate of $14.95.  The drawback is that it requires a year commitment.  So if I withdraw within the next year, they'll charge the remaining portion.  Why on earth would somebody withdraw from something for which they have to pay? 

The same email gave yet another conflicting piece of information.  " Illinois-based members have been swtiched to the $99.00 Semi-Annual plan. You will be automatically renewed to the semi-annual plan and charged an amount equal to 6 months of CompuServe service at a monthly service fee equal to $19.95 per month."  Sigh.

--pat

We also dropped Compuserve after about 25 years.  They didn't even say boo.  We now have AOL.  I really don't like it w all the pop-up ads and "America Online 9.0 Opimized SE" sure is NOT opimized for Windows Xp.  We have frequent lock-ups requiring rebooting.  The saving grace is..well maybe...is we get for $6/month through GM.  Not 100% sure yet if it is even worth this low price. 

Len and Jo said:
We also dropped Compuserve after about 25 years.? They didn't even say boo.? We now have AOL.? I really don't like it w all the pop-up ads and "America Online 9.0 Opimized SE" sure is NOT opimized for Windows Xp.? We have frequent lock-ups requiring rebooting.? The saving grace is..well maybe...is we get for $6/month through GM.? Not 100% sure yet if it is even worth this low price.?

AOL is the owner of CS and as I understand it responsible for all the things that happened to CS that cuased us to pull the plug after more than 25 years. Going to AOL is kinda like jumping from the frying pan into the fire IMHO.  If AOL offered to pay me I wouldn't use them.

Hi Ron,

It only took me about 17 years to shed CS, i guess I am a quick learner.  But maybe not to smart, I now use Earthlink which costs two bucks a month more then CS. But I get no pop ups, hardly any ads and in the 4 months I have used it, not once have I had a problem getting on or getting kicked off. It may not be the cheapest but i'm happy with it.

Jerry

Jerry,

Earthlink is a much better choice than AOL/CS as far as I'm concerned.  IMHO you just can't get any worse than well you know who.

Yes AOL/CS are the same company.  I do feel that AOL is like the "dark side of the force".  The advantage for me is traveling in "remote" areas such as Michigan's U.P.  AOL seems to have several telephone access numbers in most every town and for $6/month it has been worth a try.  I do have a short fuse with them though.  They really screwed up a good company - CIS.  It has been very clear for the last dozen years....I am a slow learner...that they wanted to kill it and have its customers move over to AOL.  At $6/month I hope it is a loss for them.

Len and Jo said:
I really don't like it w all the pop-up ads

Len, why not minimize the AOL client after it logs on, and fire up another browser. It won't necessarily fix the lockup issue, but at least you won't have to look at the ads and other stuff. Tough to beat that $6/month deal.

I notice the PeoplePC commercials advertise something like twice the number of phone numbers than AOL.  I was in Yakima last year and was advised by CS that most of the local numbers there were being discontinued.  I, too, have retained CS for the phone # access.  However, it turns out that most ISPs use the same phone line services. 

My limitation in the UP wasn't an access number, but rather the Verizon signal, since I use my cellphone to access the internet most of the time.  I had a land line hooked up here in Mesa for the winter.  That was really nice. 

--pat

Pat said:
I notice the PeoplePC commercials advertise something like twice the number of phone numbers than AOL.  I was in Yakima last year and was advised by CS that most of the local numbers there were being discontinued.  I, too, have retained CS for the phone # access.  However, it turns out that most ISPs use the same phone line services. 

My limitation in the UP wasn't an access number, but rather the Verizon signal, since I use my cellphone to access the internet most of the time.  I had a land line hooked up here in Mesa for the winter.  That was really nice. 

--pat

Pat,

I had PeoplePC at one time. It's a sister company to Earthlink which I also had. Earthlink worked great but was around $20/month. I went with PeoplePC which was $8.95/month. It was slower than molasses! Of course, they would sell me an accelerator that would make it as fast as Earthlink but the price would then be the same. :)

I'll have to find another provider soon. Just don't know which one I'll try.

Jim:  When I get to Oregon, I'm going to experiment with a free Yahoo account and a Verizon hookup.  I'm told that the Verizon connection is twice as fast as dialing in to CIS, on the same cellphone. 

Speaking of slow speeds, this house must have wiring from the Middle Ages.  The modems are at half speed.    I wonder if my brother could check the junction box where the phone line first attaches to the house and run a splitter so he can use another wire to his computer to speed things up from 24k to 56k.  The problem is not in our computers, because mine was running fine at 56 until I hooked up in here. 

--pat

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skinldy71
Back
Top Bottom