I want to take up fishing again

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Campfire RV

I went on a weekend fishing trip last summer with a program here in town called "Teching Kids to Fish" to give the local youth something to do and keep them out of trouble and the organization is a Christian based organization. Last year was the first time I've been fishing in over 20 years and I had a blast fishing and with the kids. This year I want to take the MH out camping near the lakes in the mountains and do some fishing with my family. My only problem is I'm not really sure what to look for as far as tackle & bait since I've been out of it so long. I want to fish for salmon, trout and crappie. Right now I don't have anything so I need to start with a pole and reel but when I went to the local Big 5 store I couldn't believe how many different types of tackle & bait there was to pick from.

What would you suggest as a good starting point for someone just starting out without having to pay a fortune? Thanks for all your inputs.

Josh

I went Bass pro shop after the wife and I wanted to do some new to us salt water fishing, they were very friendy and knew just what we needed without breaking the bank.

The only thing we caught was a sunburn and a baby stingray but I will never forget the wonderfull time we had together fishing !!!!

Which part of the country will you be fishing &/or buying?

ChiefM's suggestion of Bass Pro Shops is a good one, if there's one near you. Similarly, Cabella's.

What style of fishing do you plan to do (bait fishing, spin casting, fly fishing, etc)? If you just want to buy some inexpensive gear until you figure out what you need, WalMart has a selection of tackle.

Fishing is fairly simple...I recommend a lightweight open face spinning rod and reel - you can check Bass Pro Shops or Cabelas. As for bait every lake or ocean is different and the local bait and tackle store is the best place to get advice and a location to fish, but nothing beats a plain old bobber a small hook and a worm or piece of bait.

Every location is a little different....what part of the country will you be fishing in? I am a fishing guide by trade in the summers and a full time Rv'er the rest of the year, give me a location and I can give you a little more detailed information. I have fished nearly every part of the country.

It is a fine hobby!

Good Luck

Capt Jim Lucas

Tom said:
Which part of the country will yoiu be fishing &/or buying?

ChiefM's suggestion of Bass Pro Shops is a good one, if there's one near you. Similarly, Cabella's.

What style of fishing do you plan to do (bait fishing, spin casting, fly fishing, etc)? If you just want to buy some inexpensive gear until you figure out what you need, WalMart has a selection of tackle.
I will be fishing primarily in the eastern Sierras around Lone Pine, Big Pine, Bishop, Mammoth and surrounding area. I guess I will be just doing bait fishing for now. We do have a WalMart and Big 5 Sporting Goods stores here locally.

Wigpro said:
Fishing is fairly simple...I recommend a lightweight open face spinning rod and reel - you can check Bass Pro Shops or Cabelas. As for bait every lake or ocean is different and the local bait and tackle store is the best place to get advice and a location to fish, but nothing beats a plain old bobber a small hook and a worm or piece of bait.

Every location is a little different....what part of the country will you be fishing in? I am a fishing guide by trade in the summers and a full time Rv'er the rest of the year, give me a location and I can give you a little more detailed information. I have fished nearly every part of the country.

It is a fine hobby!

Good Luck

Capt Jim Lucas

The nearest Bass Pro shop to me is a little over two hours away so it may be a little while before I make it there and I've never heard of Cabelas. I will only be fishing fresh water and mostly in the eastern Sierra Mountain range near Lone Pine, Big Pine, Bishop, Mammoth and surrounding area in southern California.

I do remember having a lot f fun when I was a kid fishing with my dad but I never did it again after joining the Navy in 91 until last year. I'm looking forward to starting again.

Josh, there are so many places to fish on the eastern side of the Sierras.

Worm fishing will work in several locations, but you should give some thought to fly fishing at some point. Browse the various topics on this board for various topics about fishing the areas you mentioned.

Be sure to check out the fishing reports at http://sierradrifters.com/fish-htm

Fishing is a wonderful relaxing form of recreation. Catching is when the work starts.........

Ken

Fishing isn't a hobby it's religion....so enjoy it.

Trout like salmon eggs and flies...so either take up fly fishing or get a small 2/0 hook and a small bobber and fill the hook with a few salmon eggs and drop it upstream and watch it flow with the river or just throw it out in a lake about 2 feet off the bottom and wait, by the way the waiting and anticipation is the best part of fishing...enjoy the fresh air and scenery and have a great time...

Fishing is all about being in the outdoors and oh by the way, you can catch a nice fish while doing it...

Enjoy,

Jim

What's a "small 2/0 hook"? That's more like a gaff  ;D

Thanks for the Sierra site Tom.  I will put to the test soon.  Now I am looking for a better and safer way to store my rods in our new (to us) 2010 Monaco Diplomat 42SKQ.  With only two big storage bays, space is a premium. Our old coach had so much more storage space.

YOOOOOOOOOO Annie, are you talking about storage when in transit or just plain ole every day storage?  I use 6" (or larger) PVC tubing with cap ends (one end glued permanently and the other end with only a friction fit).......... For storage while in transit or long term storage I use the space under the bed.  For every day use storage I use a thru-bay storage bin (if not already full) or I just bungee it to the roof ladder..........

Razu makes a good suggestion of PVC tubes. I've also used cardboard tubes that come from the center of bolts of fabric or rolls of carpet (stores throw loads of them away).  I store them under the bed while in transit, then stand them in a corner of the bedroom when we're staying somewhere.

Tom said:
What's a "small 2/0 hook"? That's more like a gaff  ;D

Sorry, I'm used to catching big fish!! Smallest hook I use in salt water in Alaska is a 2/0 - guess I should have said 2! Halibut I use a 9/0. King Salmon a 6/0 with a 4/0 trailer...snelled. Pinks and Chum I use a 4/0 with a 3/0 or 2/0 trailer. Silvers I use a 4/0 with a 2/0 trailer.

For freshwater I typically use a small circle hook or a small J hook.

LOL Wigpro, I too use large hooks to fish for striped bass and sturgeon (6/0), or if we're fishing for salmon in the Pacific. But Josh said he was planning to fish the back side of the Sierras. Given there are some lunkers up there, but I use small hooks when fly fishing many of the small streams.

Reminds me of the only time I used the services of a guide on a small stream in Utah, he told me to put my size 16 & 18 flies away, handed me a size 22 and said "nothing bigger than that".

AH Fishing 8) No better way to relax, just don't be like my wife and get hung up on catching. She tends to be impatient. ;D Wigpro made a great suggestion, start with a lightweight spinning rod and open face reel with 4lb monofilament. I have other rods but this gets used 90% of the time. It is easy to handle and can be used to cast, jig, or troll. As your skill level increases a fly rod is fun especially on a stream but takes a little patience to master. Big salmon or lake trout are best left to a bait caster.
Discuss your wants with the local tackle shop, these guys tend to be enthusiasts and know what works in the area. Wallyworld is alright if you are on a budget and know what you want or are buying a starter kit for a kid.

Start with a Zebco 202: wet a line, you don't have to catch anything, life is good!
Dan  8)

Back
Top Bottom