Ideas for 2 to 3 Month Round trip from Florida Start End of Sept

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ikeshel

Finally both retired and looking forward to wandering the country. We had a couple of rough starts beginning last December (Rig problem & parts delay, then a cancer diagnosis & successful treatment) we are finally ready to start out full time adventure.

I know this is a very open ended question but there is so much to choose from and we are quite new at this.

Our plans are to drive 4 to 5 hours a day for 2 or 3 days max, stopping overnight, then finding a place to explore for about a week and then repeat until we are back in Florida for the winter (and a check up scan)

What we are looking for is ideas of campgrounds, historical or interesting places to walk around, especially if they are dog friendly.
Thanks in advance

We are missing a lot of information before we can help you.
  • First, where are you starting from? Your current location seems to be Pennsylvania. Is that your starting point??
  • When do you want to leave? And when do you want to get back to Florida, if that is your plan?
  • Also, what direction do you want to head from wherever you are starting from? Or don't you care?
  • It sounds like you want to end up in Florida, but when? Early December?? Florida is pretty much booked for this coming winter, but do you already have a place to stay there?
  • And just to confirm, it sounds like you are a couple of adults, so we don't need to be concerned about places for kids, right?
Also, if you want to leave soon and head towards Florida, that might mean you need to avoid mountains and potential snow, at least in December.

A logical route would be along the Atlantic Coast. Or would you be interested in a bit of a detour, such as through western PA, down through Virginia and West Virginia, and maybe through TN and GA??

What I usually do is decide on a rough route that sounds interesting and then break that route into 200 mile chunks. Then I research the areas and decide what looks interesting to explore. For example, I have taken the northern route to California from Ohio several times, so the most recent trip from CA, I decided on the middle route through Kansas and Nebraska. Next time I head west, it will probably be the southern route along I-20. But much also depends on time of year and weather.

Does this help??

I use a trip planner called RoadTrippers. The free version allows 7 waypoints, I think. The main use is to plan the route in a macro sense. The program allows you to see all the points of interest along your route by category.

Once I have figured out the general route I use FreeRoam to find RV parks and places to stop.

Not knowing what you are into it's hard to advise you where to go. I had a buddy and he planned all his vacations around going to see lighthouses. Another buddy wanted to see all the Nascar tracks.

I focus a lot on WWII and other historical military museums as well as science and technology stuff (space museums etc.). Fire, police and car museums are also on my list.

One year I did a 10 days in the Shenandoah Valley and Blue Ridge Parkway. That was a great trip and would be a logical one between PA and FL.

It is about 2000 miles from Abington PA to Yellowstone National Park. Spend a few days there then head south for about 50 miles to Grand Tetons NP and spend a few days. Then head south for 500 miles to Bryce Canyon NP and spend a few days. Next head south for about 75 miles to Zion NP and spend a few days. Then head south for about 250 miles to the south rim of the Grand Canyon NP and spend a few days. Then head east for 2500 miles back home again. This trip takes you to some of the most beautiful places in the USA.

We are missing a lot of information before we can help you.
  • First, where are you starting from? Your current location seems to be Pennsylvania. Is that your starting point??
  • When do you want to leave? And when do you want to get back to Florida, if that is your plan?
  • Also, what direction do you want to head from wherever you are starting from? Or don't you care?
  • It sounds like you want to end up in Florida, but when? Early December?? Florida is pretty much booked for this coming winter, but do you already have a place to stay there?
  • And just to confirm, it sounds like you are a couple of adults, so we don't need to be concerned about places for kids, right?
Also, if you want to leave soon and head towards Florida, that might mean you need to avoid mountains and potential snow, at least in December.

A logical route would be along the Atlantic Coast. Or would you be interested in a bit of a detour, such as through western PA, down through Virginia and West Virginia, and maybe through TN and GA??

What I usually do is decide on a rough route that sounds interesting and then break that route into 200 mile chunks. Then I research the areas and decide what looks interesting to explore. For example, I have taken the northern route to California from Ohio several times, so the most recent trip from CA, I decided on the middle route through Kansas and Nebraska. Next time I head west, it will probably be the southern route along I-20. But much also depends on time of year and weather.

Does this help??
We are full time (sold out house) currently in Jacksonville (We arrived in Orlando area in Dec and was diagnosed in March & have been primarily in Jacksonville since) We have varied interests - history, nature, photography, science, military and so much more. Our thought was to head to Nashville as the most northern stop, with stops along the way, then head in a southerly direction west. We are thinking take 2 months westward and have at least 3 weeks to get back to FL for my next checkup.
Thanks in advance to all who have & are giving ideas. We have been blessed to meet amazing
folks in the RV community and hope to be able to return even more back to it.
Ike & Sheila (Brady & Bella)

So, starting in Florida in September,...
What SeilerBird said.
Head for Yellowstone, and the Tetons, then work your way south. The weather up there can turn pretty quick in later September.

One of the best and most historical drives in the country is the Natchez Trace. It is a beautiful 444 mile drive without a stoplight. (Similar to Blue Ridge Parkway, but not as busy.) It starts (or ends, depending on which direction you are going) in Nashville and ends up in Natchez, Mississippi, so it is a southwest drive from Nashville. It was originally an Indian trail and then became the route taken by river boats or rafts before there were steam engines. Boats or rafts were floated downstream to Natchez, but since there were no steam or gasoline engines in the early 1800s and before, boatmen had to walk, ride horses, or drive wagons back to Nashville along the Trace. In some places, the old trace is 10-15 feet deep because of the foot and horse traffic. Huge trees now grow in it because it was not needed when engines could take boats upriver. Worth spending a leisurely 3 days driving the Trace and stopping at historical places along the way.

Very pretty drive and lots of historic pullovers, including the cabin where Meriweather Lewis was shot or killed himself. Also, two free campgrounds along the way, or you can jump off and find "civilization" just a mile or two off the Trace. And Natchez is a nice little town and worth spending a day or two.

Also, not too far north of Natchez is Vicksburg, which is the location of Vicksburg National Military Park and the USS Cairo Museum, which was a riverboat sunk in the Civil War. If you are interested in military history, those two things are not to be missed.

Last edited:
We did the Natchez Trace in May for the first time in about 15 years, and I have to say overall I was somewhat disappointed in its condition, and state of repair many historical signs were faded, some were just missing, a number of the pull offs were closed, and there were lots of low hanging limbs that had me swerving into the oncoming lane in places to avoid hitting them, not all of which I was able to avoid, clipping the top of our 11'5" tall motorhome a handful of times. Of course this was late spring and the first day on the trace it was raining with branches hanging down to the height of my side view mirrors in some places. At one point near the south end of the trace I thought I might be stuck with no way to weave through the low hanging limbs on either side of the road.

If it were me...

I'd head up through GA & AL with Memphis TN as the first major milestone. I love Beale Street and there is Graceland Dollywood etc.

Then I'd go southwest through AR where there is plenty of nature and things to see with a target of Houston. I loved the space museum near Rocket City. They have a full Atlas rocket there as well as a space shuttle on a pedestal.

Then I'd head back on the gulf route. USS Alabama and Biloxi are great stops.

Using Roadtrippers or something similar you will find tons of sights that fit your interests. I reckon this would run 2600 miles or so.
roadtrip.JPG

If it were me...

I'd head up through GA & AL with Memphis TN as the first major milestone. I love Beale Street and there is Graceland Dollywood etc.

Then I'd go southwest through AR where there is plenty of nature and things to see with a target of Houston. I loved the space museum near Rocket City. They have a full Atlas rocket there as well as a space shuttle on a pedestal.

Using Roadtrippers or something similar you will find tons of sights that fit your interests. I reckon this would run 2600 miles or so.
View attachment 148541
Thanks so much. I had thought about something along this line, but you added so much more that I had not thought of. I'm going to put this in RV Trip Wizard (so I don't end up going under a low bridge) We want to spend at least a few days to weeks in order to explore & get the flavor of an area. Now to plug it in and plan our routes!
And many thanks to everyone who read/responded. We are enjoying this life and the people we meet.
Thanks Isaac (Ike) & Sheila

In Florida St Andrews state park and Henderson Beach state park are great inexpensive stops with great beaches and crystal clear water. Can always stop near one of the Manatee viewing rivers along the gulf coast.

Thanks so much. I had thought about something along this line, but you added so much more that I had not thought of. I'm going to put this in RV Trip Wizard (so I don't end up going under a low bridge) We want to spend at least a few days to weeks in order to explore & get the flavor of an area. Now to plug it in and plan our routes!
And many thanks to everyone who read/responded. We are enjoying this life and the people we meet.
Thanks Isaac (Ike) & Sheila

Good idea to use RV Trip wizard. I use google maps but I do have to check the route myself.

I have started using state and US highways a lot more. If you have the time you can really find some cool stuff when you slow down for the towns.

Driving the freeway your scenery is guaranteed to be semi trucks, speeders and strip malls. I wish google would add "use truck routes" to their interface. The avoid tolls and highways is good.

I've tried trucker apps but I don't like the interfaces as much as google.

If it were me...

View attachment 148541
Dollywood is in the Tennessee Smokies.

The RandMcNally 7" RV GPS system allows you to set preferences to "prefer freeways" or to "avoid freeways." You can also set the height, width, weight, and number of propane tanks. This will keep you away from low or narrow bridges. That is a lot easier than having to use a separate app to do this.

What we are looking for is ideas of campgrounds, historical or interesting places to walk around,
Did you ever get your plan made and start your travels?

We love updates. Each update teaches another camper.

Waving at you.

We love Charleston S.C., then on up into the mtns in N.C, over to S.C. into Georgia. Beautiful area, even into Tennessee.
Yes we probably will swing thru there coming home next late summer/early fall from our New England/ Carolinas-trip for 2-3 months.

Back
Top Bottom