Ideas on running a rear camera wire on a 2006 Outlook?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stillRV

Hi, I am adding a backup camera to my 2006 Winnebago Outlook 24. Has anyone done this on a similar model and can provide some tips?

I'd love to mount it up by the rear roof cap here, but I can't find any access from inside the coach.

I'm hoping to avoid an ugly black wire running down or sideways on the back of the home, so I'd prefer to drill right next to wherever I mount it and run the wire inside.

I know the bumper is an easy location but I want a higher point of view.

Thanks.

1635121481528.png

1635121537903.png

You might crawl under and look up. On my fiver the caps were basically hollow. If yours is like that, drill a hole and drop the wire down. Start with either a fish tape or string with a small weight first. Since you have a window there taking it out first could aid i. Fishing a wire down.

It may be that WBGO prewired your coach so that a dealer could install a BU cam ......... dunno. Your rig looks a little different end cap-wise than my '07 31ft Outlook but, in my case, I loosened up 3 of the end cap retention screws and that allowed me to drop the cable down to free the "tangled up" cable connector on my rig so I could replace my old B/W unit with a new/larger color system. I used some home made wedges from 2X2 lumber to ease the end cap open and hold it there while fished the cable out (lots of coiled up extra cable....assume WBGO used a "one size fits all" approach.) A call to WBGO tech support might provide an answer about possible prewiring (without having to open up that area up yourself to look.) I get mixed results with them.....mostly good though.

I'll attach a pic. You may have to click on it to enlarge.

Good luck on your project. Please let us know how it turns out. Safe travels to ya.

Attachments

• BU Cam Cable for Forum Post copy.jpg
    BU Cam Cable for Forum Post copy.jpg
    216.8 KB · Views: 15
You might consider a commercial grade wireless unit, I have one in my 28 ft class A as some previous owner cut the wire for the original black and white camera. The one I use is the predecessor of this model Amazon.com: Pyle PLCMTR78WIR 2.4Ghz Vehicle Camera & Video Monitor System with Wireless Transmission, Waterproof Rated Cam, Night Vision, 7'' Display (for Bus, Truck, Trailer, Van) : Electronics

Mine works well, has a clear image, and only occasionally suffers from an interference glitch.

Call or email Winnebago Owner Relations and ask if your unit is pre-wired for a cam before you go any further. As someone mentioned, the rear cap is just a fiberglass shell so you could drop a wire down from that opening. Even with a wireless cam it's going to need power so you can't completely eliminate wiring.

Thanks all. There was a few mentions of dropping the wire down - dropping it down where? The rear back all is solid, right. Full of Styrofoam? I would love to find a video or some photos showing what is under the cap.

This model did have an optional back up camera, but it's unlikely I could reuse that cable. But maybe I could follow it's path.

I did consider wireless, but as John mentioned I'd still have to wire up power. And I wanted HD and a very clear picture. Maybe some of the wireless cameras are HD, but I'll bet the wired ones are as good or better quality for less money. And I wanted this style, where the camera acts as a full time rear view mirror, and I can look up to see it, like you would in any other vehicle.

1635168654015.png

You can swipe to pan the camera up and down. So it's useful for regular rear view mirror monitoring, and you can quickly point it down to see your bumper when reversing. Pretty cool!

Chances are the wire was run during assembly. Probably no way to follow it unless you want to rip the the thing apart.
As far as wireless, you can pick up power from the running lights. Light on, camera on.
Also, you don't want a backup camera, you want an observation camera. It will work while driving with no drop off. The prices for wireless is higher, but the technology has advanced and they are about the same a a wired camera.
Check out the Haloview line of cameras.

There was a few mentions of dropping the wire down - dropping it down where? The rear back all is solid, right. Full of Styrofoam? I would love to find a video or some photos showing what is under the cap.
Not necessairly. On my fiver the fiberglas rear cap was an option, so it was just hung. The insulation etc was closer to the inside wall. Thats why I suggested you crawl under and look up. If you see a hollow area, then there is a good chance you can drop cables down once you cut the hole.

I am assuming that you have a 2006 Outlook 324V and here is the specific drawing for the installation of the back up camera wiring and installation.

https://www.winnebago.com/Files/Files/Winnebago/Resources/Diagram/2006/06_300-ser_wire_151876.pdf

For your future reference here are all of the wiring diagrams for the 324V and I highly suggest downloading the Complete Wiring book for the 2006 324V

Wiring Diagrams everything that is in the complete book above, but in sections you can download or view separately.

Here are the Complete Plumbing installation drawings for the 2006 Outlook 324V

If yours is something other than a 324V then start over HERE and scroll to the bottom of the page and select the wiring diagrams or plumbing drawings.

Charles

Last edited:
I recently installed this camera purchased from Amazon in my 2006 324v Winnie Chalet, Yakry Y27, RV Backup Camera Wireless HD 1080P with 7 Inch Touch Key DVR Monitor RVs High-Speed Rear View Observation IR Night Vision. If I can be of help to you let me know. I will post the review I did yesterday on Amazon. Rich

Amazon review: This is a very well made wireless camera and monitor and it works great on my 25' motorhome. I have held off writing this review due to health problems I have had since I installed it and checked out this wireless camera and monitor. When I'm able to travel in my motorhome I will do a follow up review. I had some questions prior to installing and I received prompt helpful information from the supplier. That was important to me.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom