Ideas to cover post base footings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

djw2112

When i did the post footings for one side of my carport i was trying to save on lumber cost, and since concrete was cheaper than the extra length posts i used concrete to make up the difference in height. This was a mistake because lumber has come down now so if i would have waited i would not have had to do it this way. The other side of the carport footers are flat to the ground, plus the raised footers take up driving space. Anyway not much i can do about it now.

But i would like to decorate the footers some way to make them more asthetic, they are huge eye sore to me. First i thought about planter boxes around them but that would not work because it would stay wet all the time and it would rot my posts.

So then i thought about using some kind of mortor and then sticking gravel to it around the footer, at least that way it would look nicer. But i have no idea what kind of material i need, is it mortor mix or regular concrete with no aggrigate, or maybe i need to use some kind of bonding agent in a pump tube, i dont know what to use or even if that is the cheapest way to do that.

I also thought of using some of the cedar pickets i have a ton of scrap pieces to wrap the footers but im not that good of a woodworker to do a nice job and it would probably look hacky. Worse hacky than it does now lol

I have seen videos of using gravel for flat surfaces using some kind of resin but that stuff is very very expensive and i dont know if it will hold up to being on a vertical surface.

Here is a pic of what i am trying to cover up, those two post bases. Ideas would be appreciated :)

Attachments

• 0714210908b (Small).jpg
    0714210908b (Small).jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 26
i was planning to put blue roof panels so i guess i could paint the bases white and do a RWB theme

Last edited:
Thanks... i already have a red, white, and blue(well lavender) crape myrtles, looks great when they are in bloom.

If you want to use the mortar mix, you can mix the pea gravel into it, make a frame around the present post about two inches larger, then pour the mix into the frame and allow to set up but not totally cured, remove the frame and brush with a stiff brush and water which will allow the pea gravel to show thru. I think it would it would look good with your patio !!!

I looked at some white concrete paint but its pretty expensive, im used to just getting paint on the cheap lol I have the base of my flag pole painted white and its always flaking off so i need concrete paint i guess.

I guess maybe i could use some white stone (a bag is not very much) and then attach that to it. My neighbor suggested just using some liquid nails and wrapping it with cedar picket peaces and then painting that white.

I also do have some Henry 587 Elastomeric Roof Coating for the RV i could use, it will attach to concrete and its white... ill try a bit of it as a sample this next week and see how it does.

Why is it that some people never have the money to do it right,, but always have it to do over again the right way??? ( or another way,,, and another way..)

What's wrong with what he did? Looks good. Cheapest coverup, if that's what you want, would be concrete paint.

Keeping wood away from ground and water intrusion is best keeping the wood to last a long time. So I had done this on my deck and ranp which is now 30 years old and still looks great.

When i did the post footings for one side of my carport i was trying to save on lumber cost, and since concrete was cheaper than the extra length posts i used concrete to make up the difference in height. This was a mistake because lumber has come down now so if i would have waited i would not have had to do it this way. The other side of the carport footers are flat to the ground, plus the raised footers take up driving space. Anyway not much i can do about it now.

But i would like to decorate the footers some way to make them more asthetic, they are huge eye sore to me. First i thought about planter boxes around them but that would not work because it would stay wet all the time and it would rot my posts.

So then i thought about using some kind of mortor and then sticking gravel to it around the footer, at least that way it would look nicer. But i have no idea what kind of material i need, is it mortor mix or regular concrete with no aggrigate, or maybe i need to use some kind of bonding agent in a pump tube, i dont know what to use or even if that is the cheapest way to do that.

I also thought of using some of the cedar pickets i have a ton of scrap pieces to wrap the footers but im not that good of a woodworker to do a nice job and it would probably look hacky. Worse hacky than it does now lol

I have seen videos of using gravel for flat surfaces using some kind of resin but that stuff is very very expensive and i dont know if it will hold up to being on a vertical surface.

Here is a pic of what i am trying to cover up, those two post bases. Ideas would be appreciated :)

Given that around here we literally have an unlimited supply or rocks of all sizes and shapes, I would use mortarpre-mix and a selection of small, flat rocks to apply a facing.

Of course lacking a ready supply of stones that might present some challenges. :)

I'd be happy to send you a supply of nice, flat stones for FREE. You'd only have pay for the shipping! :ROFLMAO:

Why is it that some people never have the money to do it right,, but always have it to do over again the right way??? ( or another way,,, and another way..)
Hi, to answer your question i live paycheck to paycheck sometimes to the dime litterally, but sometimes i have alittle extra that i dont spend on gas or groceries. I save up for a project for a long time and then get the materials.

Honestly i do projects i should not be doing either from lack of full training or my physical ability. I know i am doing more harm to my body but i have no other choice, i have to get it done and i cant afford to pay anyone to do it. So i do as much as i can and then i have to stop, and then many times i end up in bed laid up the whole next day, but i press on day by day, little by little until the mission is complete.

I almost never have money do it the right way if that means hiring someone or paying through the nose for materials or labor that i can slowly get myself. I do my best and ask alot of questions before hand, if i mess up then i try to fix it.

@jymbee lol thats why i was thinking using gravel as the cover material, i have lots of that. I will either paint it white or use founded white gravel or stone which cant be that much per bag, maybe two bags would do it. If that is expensive then i have some white stone in my landscaping i can break up and use that. The only problem with stone is that it gets moldy and green in this part of the country. Thanks for the offer, that was very kind of you :)

The main reason i originally thought of covering it up is because the one tall us is not square, its odd shaped because the form for it was too big and so i took the trowel and sliced some off the sides but it was not a straight down slice and its all funky looking. It was miserably hot, my body hurt like heck and i wanted to just get it done and go rest. So Im trying to hide my bad shaping job.

Back
Top Bottom