IE losing support?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ray D

I am getting the following warning on a bar, at the top of my e-mail screen.
You are using a version of Internet Explorer which will soon be unsupported. Some features may not work correctly. Upgrade to amodern browser, such asGoogle Chrome.

I can read it, but don't know what it means.  ???  Can someone interpret it for me. My e-mail and IP is from Cableone.net. They recently switched programs to Google.

I like IE, and don't want to switch. I'm barely or almost computer literate. Not a Geek!  :-[ 

Any help?

Ray D  ???

What version of IE are you using?  What is the email site you're using?  Many web sites are dropping support for older versions of IE.

Go to Help, About Internet Explorer.

What is in the address bar when you're at your email web site?  Is it something like http://www.cableone.net or something else?

IE9 is the latest version and you should upgrade.  Cable One has outsourced their email to Google Mail and they are recommending either upgrade to IE9 or a newer browser, such as Firefox or Chrome.  You can ignore the message and IE8 will probably continue to work, but if you have any problems using it for your email, they won't be able to help you when the end support for it.

Of course Google would love for you to use "Chrome" but all you really need to do is upgrade your IE to 9.  I resisted doing this until I actually used IE9 on another computer, it's actually pretty good and there isn't much of a learning curve.

Ray, it's just like all other software.  As it gets upgraded, fewer people use the older versions and the software company eventually quits supporting that version.  I upgraded to IE 9 when I got my new computer.

ArdraF

What is the procedure for upgrading to IE9? Or, where could I find the procedure? I a bit antsy about my capability. For that matter, where do I go to find IE 9?

Ray confused D  :-[

IE9 should be available through Windows Updates.  Possibly as an optional update.

Either Windows or Help |About |Update.  I forget whcih, I think it auto-upped on me.

Per someone or another Chrome now has more users, however I suspect strongly that is because Google has been very agressive, in the manner of Microsoft, in attaching Chrome to hundreds if not thousands of other programs so you update your video software, Chrome comes along for the ride, you update a game Chrome comes along for the ride you update most any non-microsoft product save Firefox or Opera and Chrome comes along for the ride.  Very annoying.

Back
Top Bottom