If someone was breaking into your MH to possibly hurt or kill you,

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dreamsend said:
I think it would helpful and less misleading if you would provide more details about your rationale for this, and based more on regulatory concepts than a word interpretation. Your RV is a motorized vehicle, required to be registered as such, it is not a domicile or residence.  While you may be legal in your State (please tell us where), I'd like to understand why.  Maybe that state uses the concept of "home", but that would be very, very unusual.  Home is a wishy -washy term that is not generally used for regulations.  Terms like domicile, residence, principle address, are used and those terms are strictly defined by each state and legal circumstance of their usage.  Otherwise, a box under a bridge is a home, as is a stealth van, an abandoned box car, . . .etc.  pretty sure someone found with a non-permitted handgun in those situations would find themselves amok of gun laws.  Maybe you could explain a little further why you've stated that a gun, which requires a CCW, can be legally carried/transported, without the permit.
  In Louisiana the castle doctrine extends to your vehicle.

https://www.nraila.org/articles/20060707/louisiana-castle-doctrine-companion-b

"
On June 30 2006,Governor Kathleen Blanco (D) signed HB 1097 by Representative Eric LaFleur (D-38), NRA-backed legislation granting civil immunity to crime victims who lawfully use force up to and including deadly force to protect themselves against a violent attack.

HB 1097 is the companion bill to HB 89 (also by Representative LaFleur), the NRA-supported ?Castle Doctrine? bill which created presumptions in law for the use of force against intruders in your home, car or place of business and explicitly states in law that you have no ?duty to retreat? from criminal attack if you are in a place where you have a legal right to be..."

My first thought was that you need to find a safer place to camp.  My second thought was that this could only happen if you were dry camping in an isolated location where others were not in close proximity to hear the commotion this would create.  My final thought was that I better not have too much to drink and accidentally wander up to the door of another RV, because it seems that an abundance of my neighbors must be armed.

Hi Aboatguy - My question remains.  Your response (apparently to my post) is about the right of use of force (firearm) in defined circumstances and not be held civilly liable for damages you inflict, which does not address the issue I'm questioning. 

My question is simply how (under what legal rationale) one can legally transport a firearm that requires a CCW (permit) but said gun is not licensed/permitted as such.  But your post raises another issue because the LA law says "who lawfully use force".  If you use an unregistered gun, is the act of shooting someone in your vehicle with it still "lawful use of force"?  Me thinks some lawyers would have a good time with that one.  Linda

Seems that you're mixing up licensing and registering of guns with a Carry Concealed Weapon (CCW) permit.

When traveling with guns in a motorhome (in California) they have to be empty, slide or trigger locked, and/or locked in a box.  Ammunition must be in a different locked box.  The boxes should be as far away from the driver as possible, in a trunk if possible.  (This is an extreme synopsis of about 15,000 words in the California gun law book, which is about 3 inches thick at present.)

As soon as you set up camp an RV becomes a home.  This has been discussed in this forum dozens of times just in the few years I've been a member. 

None of this has anything to do with the original question.  If you want to get the details of every states gun laws I suggest that a gun forum might be a better venue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fth
Back
Top Bottom