IFTA - International Fuel Tax Agreement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It appears that CA is interpreting a LLC as being "in the business" of owning an RV and as such is used in connection with a business operation.  I don't agree with that interpretation, but I can see how they arrived at it.  After all, CA needs the money :D

Joe Bee said:
I'm not a lawyer but I can understand what to do.  Stay out of California!
Sounds like there are four solutions...
  • Don't use a LLC.  If you do use a LLC...
  • Stay out of California.
  • Buy a gas-powered MH rather than diesel.
  • Buy a two-axle diesel motorhome with a GVW less than 26,000 lbs.

Ned said:
It appears that CA is interpreting a LLC as being "in the business" of owning an RV and as such is used in connection with a business operation.  I don't agree with that interpretation, but I can see how they arrived at it.  After all, CA needs the money :D

And we don't really need to take the MH to CA anyway. ;D

KodiakRV said:
Sounds like there are four solutions...
  • Don't use a LLC.  If you do use a LLC...
  • Stay out of California.
  • Buy a gas-powered MH rather than diesel.
  • Buy a two-axle diesel motorhome with a GVW less than 26,000 lbs.

Ah, but there is a fifth, fight it!  Both with publicity and whith our checkbooks.  that why I've asked FMCA and will start asking other groups to hold their rallies outside of CA until the CA BOE bureuacrats change their minds!  :mad:

Al

Al,

Does this mean you'll be taking the long way from Vegas to the service center in Harrisburg, OR?

As I've stated before, If I never take our MH to Cal again, it will be 37 years too dang soon.  Sorr to the friends and relatives that live there.  Can't help feelings that the state rapes the residents as well as travels.  Beautiful state, so I guess you have to pay for beauty.  Wonder how the Guy that wants to build, an RV Resort or Campground, thinks of doing now.  That could really place a bump in the road.

Leaving Las Vegas for Bakersfield this morning, we passed thru the ag inspection station just north of Barstow. All the lanes were manned but we didn't see anyone being stopped. We were waived thru before we could come to a stop approaching the agent. We have Montana plates but removed all of our PressurePro signs.

Unfortunately I don't think one would be stopped at most the Ag stations for anything let alone something regarding the IFTA.  The Ag stations that CA has appear to me to be just an make work project that slows traffic down.  Was probably a good idea to remove the signs never know what they will do there.  I think if one was to be questioned about the LLC thing it would be a stop by the highway patrol. 

BernieD said:
Leaving Las Vegas for Bakersfield this morning, we passed thru the ag inspection station just north of Barstow. All the lanes were manned but we didn't see anyone being stopped. We were waived thru before we could come to a stop approaching the agent. We have Montana plates but removed all of our PressurePro signs.

That has been my general experience with Ag Stations.  That said, once at the Oregon border we got stopped and our trailer searched for 'contraband' by a snoopy agent.    I suspect Al's friend had the bad luck to stop at a station on some sort of personal or unit crusade.

Wonder if it's the same inspector(used Loosely) that his wife ran off with an RVer LOL

The Ag stations that CA has appear to me to be just an make work project that slows traffic down.

Ron, I beg to differ with you.  As one of the United States' most productive agricultural states, the agricultural stations serve a very important function - sometimes more than others.  They started 'way back in the 1930s when the midwest was a dust bowl because of an extensive drought.  People from Oklahoma and other areas flooded into California and brought with them insects like boll weavils that could have destroyed California's crops.  It became necessary to look for these insects that come in on fruit, cotton, and the like.  In 1946 when we were moving from Pennsylvania to Camp Stoneman CA, the people who went through the checkpoint ahead of us had a large truck full of cotton that they were hoping to sell in California.  They had to remove all the cotton from the truck and the cotton was burned on the spot to be sure there were no boll weavils.  When it was our turn we had to remove every single item of household goods from our trailer - washing machine, sewing machine, furniture, etc. - and Daddy was fit to be tied because he had to report for duty the next day.  He told them there are no boll weavils in PA in January and they asked what states we drove through.  One was Oklahoma so we could have picked up insects that could have damaged California's cotton crop.  Many years later (maybe the 1980s) they again really clamped down because they didn't want to spread fruit flies that were devastating fruit crops.  Twice during that period they sprayed entire areas, including the San Francisco Peninsula where we lived.  When we returned from Quartzsite this year they appeared to be checking all the boats because a destructive mussel has somehow made it from the Great Lakes to Lake Mead and Lake Powell and they are desperate to stop its spread.  If it takes a few extra minutes of my time, so be it.

California is not the only place that has to protect its crops.  When we went to Prince Edward Island a number of years ago in our Class C, we were checked before getting on the ferry because there was something attacking their potato crops and they didn't want it to spread to the mainland.  They were looking under the coach with mirrors and we had to drive through a wash.  Another time there was a Dutch Elm disease blight in the entire northeast and, again, they were aggressively looking under our coach and in tire wells for the culprit to stop its spread.

So when you go through an agricultural checkpoint, please answer honestly and discard any offending products if you have them.  Just a couple of bad critters in something you carry can get into crops and ruin not only the crops but the farmers' livelihoods.

ArdraF

ArdraF said:
So when you go through an agricultural checkpoint, please answer honestly and discard any offending products if you have them.  Just a couple of bad critters in something you carry can get into crops and ruin not only the crops but the farmers' livelihoods.

ArdraF

I don't question the original intent of the Ag stations at all.  It appears to me that the folks working at the AG stations have either forgotten their purpose or were never told.  We would never lie to any questions they might ask at one of these AG stations but then we haven't had the opportunity to since in all the times we have passed through these stations the last few years no questions were asked.  Just slow traffic down and then wave every body through without the attendant uttering a word.  That is what prompts my statement that the AG stations appear to be make work projects anymore.  Don't think it is the way it was intended but it is the way it is now.

Ron said:
Unfortunately I don't think one would be stopped at most the Ag stations for anything let alone something regarding the IFTA.  The Ag stations that CA has appear to me to be just an make work project that slows traffic down.  Was probably a good idea to remove the signs never know what they will do there.  I think if one was to be questioned about the LLC thing it would be a stop by the highway patrol. 

Ron

As Al reported, it was at an ag station where his friend was stopped and fined for not have an IFTA permit. Al also said that his son (SIL?) is a CHiP and had never heard of the issue.

BernieD said:
Ron

As Al reported, it was at an ag station where his friend was stopped and fined for not have an IFTA permit. Al also said that his son (SIL?) is a CHiP and had never heard of the issue.

I am suprised they were even talked to let along questions asked based on our experience at ag stations.

Ron said:
I am suprised they were even talked to let along questions asked based on our experience at ag stations.

I agree, it has been many years since the last time I was stopped and questioned at an ag station. However, Al's friend seemed to imply that there was a program being implemented "to get evaders". Al contacted FMCA about the program and they may have already had CA rethink it's evil effects ;)

When we came through an Ag station a few days ago I was somewhat slouched in the passenger seat, having just woken up from a power nap. When Chris pulled up and opened the window, the guy asked "You drive this thing all on your own?". Chris, not thinking he might be asking if there were any passengers aboard, smiled and replied "yes". He waved her on.

Bernie, you're right; It's Al's son who is the CHP officer. Interesting that the CHP has no knowledge of the enforcement. One would think that they'd be asked to be on the lookout for Montana plates. OTOH the CHP probably wouldn't/couldn't stop you unless you committed some violation, whereas the Ag stations in theory stop everyone.

Hopefully they'll get this resolved soon. I know that Al has family in CA and continues enforcement would make it tough to visit.

Ron said:
Probably some individual that decided on his own to hassle MT RV/s

I'm hoping that's the case.  I was surprised that the Board of Equalization stated that they consider RVs owned by LLCs to be "business use" and subject to the fees, though.

I don't know if complaining to the FMCA, the Governor's office, and the BoE did any good or not, but a friend with MT plates went through the same Ag Station the other day with no questions.  Of course, it may just be one person or random targeting.  ???

Al

Back
Top Bottom