install window

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

frosty

I have a 1998 Cardinal fifth wheel, which I purchased used from a dealer.  After delivery, and during our 30 day warranty period, we discovered that one of the bedroom windows was screwed shut from the outside.  Upon further inspection, we discovered that much of the window hardware was missing.

We called the dealer, who tried their best to say we had no warranty.  After numerous unreturned phone calls, we sent them a certified letter asking them to honor their written warranty or go to court (their choice).  They decided to replace the window only (installation would not be included).  After a month and a half, the window is in our garage, waiting to go in.

My question is this:

How difficult is it to replace the complete window?  I am new at all this, so removing a window and reinstalling a new one is uncharted territory for me.  Is this something I should hire out, or is it fairly easy to do?

Any tips or advice would be highly appreciated!

Windows I've seen replaced were pretty easy to do it yourself. The frame has two halves, one inside the RV and the other outside the RV. The two halves are screwed together with screws from the inside. You'll have to remove the old caulk and put some new stuff on before putting the new window in.

It will take 2 people, one inside and one out when taking the old one out and for a short time while installing the window.  Use a good RV caulk, not silicone, and you should have no problems. 

Be sure to really clean out any old caulking around the window so the new will seal well.

There is a sealing tape that goes around the outside frame, get that at an RV store.  I would suggest someone other than your selling dealer.  Most *good* shops will aid you in suggesting what you need to do the job yourself.

James Godward said:
It will take 2 people, one inside and one out when taking the old one out and for a short time while installing the window.

Good catch Jim, I forgot to mention that  :-[

As others have said, On some it's a fairly routine job depending on which window it is that needs replacement.

On some rigs it is very simple.. used ot have a trailer where you removed ONE SCREW, slid the window out of the channel frame and all, and slid the new one back in,  Job done.    That easy is ... RARE.

Sounds like that dealer wanted to make sure he would never get future business from you or any of your friends.

Make sure you give him what he wants.

Newt said:
Sounds like that dealer wanted to make sure he would never get future business from you or any of your friends.

Make sure you give him what he wants.

There may be some that would like to know who the dealer is.

I have a roll of the sealing tape.  Do I also need caulk, or is the sealing tape all that is needed? 

Thanks so much for the advice!

Most of the windows I have seen also have a thin bead of caulk around the front, top and back of the window.  All of mine do on the Dutch Star.  Again, do not use a silicone one.

James Godward said:
Most of the windows I have seen also have a thin bead of caulk around the front, top and back of the window.  All of mine do on the Dutch Star.  Again, do not use a silicone one.

Also do not caulk across the bottom.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kevinapple
Back
Top Bottom