Installed a new TV in my adventurer, just 1 problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brennaman

I took the front Tv out of my 2003 Adventurer, and installed an LCD.  The one thing I need to get working is the sound out of the RV speakers.  The original TV had a 3.5 mm stereo output that goes to a small amplifier.  I looked thru the Winn. wiring diagrams, but the drawings are not that great.  There is a switch by the switching box that selects if you want the rear speakers to output the TV, or the radio output.  When I select TV, the sound is barely audible.  There are 2 audio outputs from the TV.  One is an optical output, the other (the one I am using) is a 3.5 mm stereo output typically used for headphones.  I do not have any idea what the specs on the audio output from the new or the old TV.  Till I get it figured out, I can use the internal speakers in the TV, but is sure would be nice to use the rear speakers.  thanks Phil

I believe the OEM TVs come with an "adjustable audio out" which allows for the TV remote to control the volume of the coach speakers.  It's much less common for that to be on off the shelf tv's.  Does your coach have the DVD player/stereo also?  I now use two remotes if I want to have the coach speakers carry the TV audio.  Someday I'll dig into it to integrate it better but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Rick

Does the TV volume control change the coach speaker volume?  Most times when you use the headphone jack it cuts off the TV's internal speakers and you need to turn the volume up to drive the bigger speakers.

I had the exact same issue.  I could never get enough volume out of the TV.  My solution was to run a cable from the headphone out jack on the back of the LCD to the MP3 input on the stereo.  Yes this means the TV speakers do not work, but now I have the full power of the stereo amplifier to power the front and rear speakers.  I can also use the radio controls(using the fader)to add more sound to the front speakers or to the rear speakers to get a better mix.  It is almost like surround sound except of course it is not digital and not sending separate signals to the rear speakers.  However, the TV does have a sound mode built in(most do now)that will emulate surround sound.  Now the catch to this whole thing was that my current stereo did not have a MP3 input, and I had to buy a new one and install it myself.  Picked up a nice JVC single disc CD player with MP3 input on the front for $79.00 and installed in a few minutes.  My wife and I love the new sound.  And if we want we can always plug another external sound source such as computer or MP3 player through the stereo system as well.  My two cents!!

Yes the TV volume does appear to adjust the coach speakers, just not real well.  And yes, when you connect the headphone jack, it does cut off the internal TV speakers.  I don't want to spend a ton of money to make this all work, I can buy a cheap surround sound system, and just wire a complete it up if I have to.  But, I installed the LCD TV to save weight and power consumption.  I may end up doing just the opposite. 

I like the idea of buying a new radio with an Mp3 input.  That is a good idea, and probably the cheapest way to go.  The OEM radio is, to put it nicely, crap.  A new TV, AND radio, not a bad deal at all.

Phil

You have a impedance mismatch. The low level 8 Ohm output for the headset doesn't match the line level input of your amplifier.

One of these should fix the problem and give you plenty of volume. It's powered by  12VDC so I'd hook it up to the switched house DC power to eliminate any parasitic drain of the batteries when the switched DC is off.
http://www.amazon.com/Technolink-TC-780i-Mobile-Input-Booster/dp/B001EDW8UW/ref=sr_1_75?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1298152202&sr=1-75

Here is the description from the sales pitch.

The TC-780i is a tiny (3" x 1.75" x .75") stereo line amplifier designed for either mobile or home use. Most users will use it to connect a MP3 player, iPod or other portable audio player to an existing auto or home stereo. Doing so is simply a matter of plugging the player into the front panel jack, and adjusting the level control for best balance. Because the TC-780i provides considerable gain, it can correct level mismatch issues that often cause portable players to be lower in volume than other sources. A second rear panel input (selected automatically when nothing is plugged into the front input) allows the TC-780i to be used even in situations where all available inputs are already occupied. The mobile installation hardware included allows mounting either over, under or in most dashboards. The underdash bracket can also be used to attach to a in-home stereo cabinet or entertainment center, or the TC-780i can simply be set on a shelf.

It's possible after installing this you'll have hum from the TV since it's powered by AC and all else is powered by DC, if so then you'll need a Ground Isolation Transformer to eliminate the ground loop causing the hum.

http://www.amazon.com/Raptor-GL15-Ground-Loop-Isolator/dp/B0009O19LQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1298152764&sr=1-1

You'll no doubt need connector adapters but there available at your local Radio Shack.

I replaced my front TV in both my 2002 Adventurer (when I had it) and my 2004 Meridian (that I have now). On both of them the old TVs had the RV surraound sound speaker wires connected to the internal speakers of the TV. I just opened the back of the Tv and unsoldered the wires and resoldered them to the internal speakers of my new TVs. It works just like the old one did. When the selector switch (Radio/TV) is on radio the TV speakers are the only ones that work but when it is in the TV mode the surround sound kicks in also and it works great.

Quite a few good ideas.  Let me summarize my options thus far:

1) buy a new radio, and take the headphone output and put it in the aux input of the radio.  Then I could just leave the switch on radio, and all 4 speakers will run.  With this option, the internal speakers will not work.  (they shut off when the 3.5mm jack is plugged in.  I could probably get in and fix that, there is usually a switch that is made when you plug into the jack)

2)Purchase a small amp, and take its output and plug it into the small amp that is allready in the RV.  Looking at the schematic ( on the link that was supplied by TheBerrys)  I would definitely need a filter with that setup, I am sure that there would be a ground loop problem.  Putting a filter on the final output would not be a problem, I just worry that I could still have an impedance mismatch.  Or I could take the amp  I buy and send it directly to the speakers.  I wish the website gave a little more info on the amp. 

3)  Get into my new TV, and redirect the wires to the speakers out to the amp.

If anyone can think of any better idea, I am open to suggestions.  They are all good ideas, but they also have some setbacks.
thanks

Phil

I'd put the ground loop isolator as close to the TV as possible and still keep the AC stuff separate from the DC stuff. If your existing AMP is DC then that is where it belongs. If it's an AC Amp then you would have a real chain of AC to DC parts. The little amp I pointed to is like a Preamp, it does do some amplification but it's real pourpose is to match the 8 OHM output to a headset to a 1K OHM input of your amplifier.

If the existing Amp is AC and you decide to add the Preamp then I'd use a wall wart to get the 12VDC and make it part of the AC powered equipment.

My radio has a tape player in it and I hook up my stuff I want to hear with one of those things that look like a tape with a wire coming out of it. When Driving and using my phone for GPS I play songs and when it's time to turn the GPS interups the song and tells my where to turn and it all comes out of the RV speakers, it's great for the hard of hearing

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jasondenman
Back
Top Bottom