Installing Rear Trac Bar on Ford Chassis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mc2guy

As some of you know, I recently purchased a 2009 Sightseer 35J on a 228" 2008 Ford F53 chassis.  I drove about three hours in high winds last weekend and was pretty uncomfortable with the amount of steering correction required to keep the rig between the lines.  So far this rig has been great to drive, and this behavior only shows up in high winds or getting passed by trucks.  I have adjusted tire pressure to the correct recommendations based on axle weight, and I had an alignment done at my first oil change.  Based on the discussions here and on other boards, I just ordered a rear trac bar to try and calm some of the "wag" steer while on the highway.  The unit I purchased is the UltraTrac from Brazels Performance Center based on good performance reviews and customer service experiences of other owners.  Mike Brozini, the customer service rep has also been very supporting and helpful during the process.

Anyway, I am rambling.  I was wondering if anyone had performed this installation themselves and had any issues or advice to render before I start busting knuckles.  Your shared experience would be greatly appreciated.  Some background...I am an engineer by training, own a good torque-wrench, have experience working on simple car maintenance/repairs (oil, filters, brakes, plugs, shocks, etc), but have not worked on a heavy vehicle chassis before. 

Thanks in advance.

Christian

This is a really dumb question and I'm not trying to insult anyone; but why install a trac bar on the rear?  Why would it not be installed on a front axle?

Marsha~

Marsha,

Don't feel bad - I assumed "rear" was a typo, and assumed Christian meant front  :-[

Marsha/CA said:
This is a really dumb question and I'm not trying to insult anyone; but why install a trac bar on the rear?  Why would it not be installed on a front axle?

Marsha~

That is not a dumb question at all as that is where I would start first.

Fortunately, my 2008 F53 Chassis already has a front trac bar, which as I understand from previous F53 owners, dramatically improved the overall performance of the previous Ford offering.   The rear bar is really only going to affect performance in high-wind or highway conditions where the coach is getting pushed around laterally or "tail wagging the dog", which is where I am having issues.

I've installed two front track bars (panhard rods) but never a rear and nothing from Brazell's.  There is nothing complex with track bars - just big nuts and bolts that need corresponding hefty wrenches and effort.  We are talking an hour or two at the most, I would think.

RV Roamer said:
I've installed two front track bars (panhard rods) but never a rear and nothing from Brazell's.  There is nothing complex with track bars - just big nuts and bolts that need corresponding hefty wrenches and effort.  We are talking an hour or two at the most, I would think.

Thanks Gary, that's what I was figuring, but I wanted to know if there was some unforeseen pitfall that I haven't been considering before I start turning bolts.  I have the wrenches and hopefully the effort part covered.  ;)  Probably won't get to it until the wet weather clears after this weekend, but I'll let everyone know how it goes.

A rear bar typically goes from a suspension mount to the differential ("pumpkin"). That's often a bit more complex an attachment than the front bar, but I haven't seen any reports on a installation on a Ford chassis so don't know for sure. I have seen some on Workhorse chassis and in some models the shock mount was in the way. All were resolved ok, though.

Let us know how it goes. I'm sure Brazell's will give you good tech support too - Mike Brozini is a good guy and Brazel's stands behind their stuff 100%.

A stronger rear anti sway bar might have solved your problem also.

I think some time in the last year or so there was an article in Motorhome Magazine on installing a Roadmaster rear bar on a Ford chassis.  It had several pictures IIRC.  Of course, I read so many things, I may have seen it on a forum or perhaps on a manuf. website.  I'll try to find it and post a link to what I saw.

Ah, here's one: http://hendersonslineup.com/uncategorized/supersteer-trac-bars/
and another: http://irv2.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5931040402/m/11210077341 that shows a picture of a homemade one installed.

I just did a search for "F53 rear track bar installation" and found 1,970 links!

HTH,
Doug

I see the Henderson Supersteer does NOT go to the differential - it is full width just like the front track bars. Somehow I like that design better than the half-width ones that go to the differential. Have nothing scientific to back up my preference, though.

RV Roamer said:
I see the Henderson Supersteer does NOT go to the differential - it is full width just like the front track bars. Somehow I like that design better than the half-width ones that go to the differential. Have nothing scientific to back up my preference, though.

In theory the full width design would have a longer radius at the end of the arm and thus, would be closer to a true straight up and down motion.  That said, I don't believe the brake line placement would allow for the Henderson design on the '08 heavy duty differential so I went with the half-length design.

UPDATE...

Bit of a long story, but I'll be as brief as possible.  Bottom line...trac bar is installed and I am thoroughly convinced it should have come from the factory this way.  I have an opportunity to drive in sustained 30mph cross winds with 50mph gusts on Saturday.  While NO vehicle handles particularly well in winds like that, the Sightseer was infinitely more controllable, required less input, and generally led to a much more relaxed ride.  The gusts still pushed the rig around, but it was more of a full body push one way or another instead of countersteering to compensate for the back end getting pushed.  Overall I am very happy so far.

Now, for the bad news.  If you are an owner of a 2008 F-53 chassis (manufacture date after 12/1/07), which is what I have in my '09 Sightseer, the frame rails have changed since the design of most trac bars (Ultra, Blue Ox, Davis, etc).  There is no pre-drilled factory spot to mount the bar on this new frame rail for the 228" wheel base F-53.  Furthermore, the routing of the rear brake hard-lines, meant that some slight bending of lines was required.

While I would be perfectly happy drilling as required, I was not about to start messing with brake lines.  I know when I shouldn't be screwing with something I don't understand, and a safety item like brakes is where I draw the line.  I reluctantly ended up paying my local heavy-duty chassis Ford dealership to perform the install.  Fortunately, this dealer sells and services a lot of heavy chassis Fords, including the F-53.  While I hate paying for something that I can do myself, I don't regret taking it in as they did a great job, were courteous and timely, and as a Ford warranty servicer, they warranty their work.

Anyway, just thought I would let you all know how it went. I'll report back again as I am heading to the Outer Banks in two weeks and that should give me plenty of highway time to make a more complete evaluation.

Christian

Mc2guy,

Hope this is not being too nosey:  Which brand track bar did you get, and overall including installation how much did it cost?

Thanks,
Doug

dvsmith86 said:
Mc2guy,

Hope this is not being too nosey:  Which brand track bar did you get, and overall including installation how much did it cost?

Thanks,
Doug

I went with the UltraTrac from Brazels RV Performance.  They had the best customer support, and their staff was very helpful right up until the point that we realized my frame rails would NOT accept a bolt on bracket and would have to be drilled and brake lines would have to be moved. 

The trac bar was $479, the install ended up costing me 3 labor hours. This dealership charges $140/hour for heavy chassis work, so the total was $420 for the installation, but I got a free oil change, lube and safety inspection out of it.

UPDATE #2

Got a chance to head down to the OuterBanks this weekend for an early beach trip.  Weather was beautiful and the traffic was light, so I can't complain.  Had a great time.

HOWEVER, I have to report that I think I may have made a mistake with the trac bar.  Having now put about 1000 miles on, I am convinced that the geometry of the trac bar causes the rig to lean to the passenger side.  I never had this issue prior to installation, so I have to attribute it to the trac bar.  After really looking at the  geometry I have come to believe that the design itself is flawed and causes this behavior.  Let me explain.

The design uses a rod that connects the passenger frame rail to a bracket that is mounted on the top of the rear differential.  This design will allow for up and down movement while limiting lateral (left to right) movement.  That said, I believe it also effects torsional movement.  If you think of how a leaf sprung chassis "leans" when cornering, it basically rotates around a theoretical axis located between the leaf springs.  This trac bar design will allow rotation toward the passenger side, but will limit rotation to the driver side.

To support this theory, I checked the static level of the coach as well as while hard cornering right and left.  The static level was 3 degrees lean to the passenger side. The amount of roll to the right will turning left was considerable (in excess of 10 degrees), while the amount of roll left while turning right was almost zero.  You basically cannot get the suspension to compress on the driver side while turning.

I have attached a diagram so you can see what I am talking about.  Am I nuts or could this really be a design flaw?  No one else I have heard from has mentioned this problem.

Christian

P.S. The sway bar and all connections are intact and the weight on either side is within 200 lbs.

Attachments

• Track Bar Diagram.pdf
    10 KB · Views: 35
The track bar (panhard rod) should put no upward or downward pressure on the suspension. That's why it pivots in the vertical plane. It's entire purpose is to prevent side-to-side movement. If yours is pulling one side down, either it is installed wrong or you have the wrong unit for your suspension.  The fact that it was not a simple bolt-on makes me even more suspicious. Call Brazell's for help - something is fishy.

I called and talked to Mike at Brazels and he assured me this was the right components, but I totally agree, something is not right.  I have thought about the design all day and I suspect the pivot point on the bracket is just too low for the frame rail location.

I have seen pictures of other installations and mine looks identical, but I have to believe that the leaning is related.  I am going to disconnect the rod immediately and see if the lean goes away.  If so, I'll have my answer...and a $500 paper weight.

Disappointing to say the least.

Mc2guy said:
I am going to disconnect the rod immediately and see if the lean goes away.

Isn't there a length adjustment on the Trac Bar. I have a Davis Tru-Trac Bar on the front suspension of my Ford F-53 chassis and if I remember there is a length adjustment on it. Perhaps, it is not adjusted properly. If you disconnect it and it is indeed causing a list in your motor home, it must be exerting a tremendous pull on one of the rear springs and you will have a difficult time getting it disconnected.

BTW, my trac bar on the front did make a significant improvement in the handling of the motor home. Ford replace the wimpy steering stabilized two times on my coach and I still had trouble with ocassional shimmering of the front end, if I hit a bump just right at the right speed. I finally replaced it with a Safe-T Plus steering damper and never had the problem again. I have a brand new Ford steering damper at home in my garage.  :)

Back
Top Bottom