Insulating for -40 weather in Manitoba

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Crazy jo

Is it possible to winterize a 32ft travel trailer if I add foam board insulation and spray foam to the walls. As well as foam board skirting with a small heater underneath and heated housings. Also a pellet stove on the inside? In Manitoba we get some frigid cold winters and I plan on living in my rv full time throughout the winter months.

darsben

Central NY in summer beautiful Casa Grande AZ in w
What do you plan to do for water, sewer etc
You might exist but you will not be living.
If you do try it let us know if you make it through the winter without baling out.
Over the years many people have come to the forum attempting to try living through northern climates winter none has ever returned to tell us they made it through.

BTW -40C = -40F

Last edited:

donn

Is it possible? I guess so. The question should be how cold can you stand it? Adding anything to existing walls is only going to invite mold. Adding a pellet/wood stove inside is inviting a fire. Your biggest concerns should be water in, water out. Insulating under is a no brainer.

Utclmjmpr

Just another attempt to re-invent the wheel..when are these folks going to look at other peoples experiences and learn...>>>Dan

Roy M

In one word fuggedaboutit! You will never be warm and keeping water and sewer lines clear will be a problem. What are you going to do when you run out of propane (which you will use a LOT of) at 3 am?

Rene T

Site Team
Adding a pellet/wood stove inside is inviting a fire.
Apparently you are not use to burning wood or pellets. This is no different than a house. As long as the stove is installed per the manufactures specifications, it meets all codes and gets inspected by the Fire Dept. he’ll be just fine burning pellets. Now whether the stove can keep up with the cold is another question.

Oh and to the OP, welcome to the forum.

donn

Apparently you are not use to burning wood or pellets. This is no different than a house. As long as the stove is installed per the manufactures specifications, it meets all codes and gets inspected by the Fire Dept. he’ll be just fine burning pellets. Now whether the stove can keep up with the cold is another question.

Oh and to the OP, welcome to the forum.
Oh I totally understand the dynamics of it. RV=350 SQFT. 8 feet wide unless he has a slide room. To make a wood stove legal your needing to A, put it on a fire proof foundation, then B, it must be located somewhere around 18 inches from any combustable walls. By my calculations that is going to put even a small stove in the middle of the floor. Now lets talk about walking around a hot stove. Oh what happens when a blanket or something accidentally falls onto the stove?

Rene T

Site Team
Oh I totally understand the dynamics of it. RV=350 SQFT. 8 feet wide unless he has a slide room. To make a wood stove legal your needing to A, put it on a fire proof foundation, then B, it must be located somewhere around 18 inches from any combustable walls. By my calculations that is going to put even a small stove in the middle of the floor. Now lets talk about walking around a hot stove. Oh what happens when a blanket or something accidentally falls onto the stove?
My stove has 4” clearance at the back but can be as little as 2” and about 12” on the sides with side shields per the manufacturers installation specs. The stove is made by Hartman Stove Company and it’s model P61A-2. Check it out. Mine is actually inside a closet with no door and it was blessed by the Fire Dept. for the installation I did.

You totally lost me when you said it had to be on a fireproof foundation. Do you mean the floor it’s sitting on or the foundation my house is sitting on. If you mean the floor, I have 3/8” thick tile under mine on a plywood subfloor. You can buy pre manufactured hearths which is about 2” high and can sit right on the floor no matter what the floor is except carpeting of course. The hearth has to go beyond the stove 6” on the sides and the front. So you see a pellet stove, depending on the manufacturer, takes up very little space.

My stove pipe is a 4” pipe and is made especially for pellet stoves. It’s a pipe inside of a pipe made by EXCELPellet. The clearance to combustibles is 2”. When the stove is running, I can put my hand right on the pipe. very safe.

Last edited:

Crazy jo

Thank you for all the feedback. So the main issues would be the water freezing, and mold. I wouldn't want to use propane very much.

IBTripping

When it gets below freezing, you may need to open the cabinet doors so that the water lines don't freeze. There are some videos on Youtube of how RV dwellers in Canada prepare for the winter. I've seen -40 F. That pellet stove will be working hard as will the heater under the trailer.

steveblonde

it can be done im in Alberta and i see people doing it here. Would I do it? No not a cat in hells chance, as others have said trying to keep water in the lines would be brutal trying to empty a black or grey tank - impossible - if your going to try you need to look for something like this

they are actually designed for our winters and the guys up on the rigs use them

Top Bottom