Intermittent spontaneous doorstep deployment.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wbpino

Hi,

Just recently returned from a trip when suddenly my doorstep started to activate and deploy spontaneously while the motorhome was in motion.  I wonder if anyone has had similar issues and/or any suggestions on how to trouble shoot this.

I have a Tioga 2007 28F with a single step on the side door.

Thanks

If your system is anything like mine there is a magnet somewhere on the door and a reed switch on (or in) the frame near where the magnet sits when the door is closed.

That switch may (electrically) normally open, or normally closed.  They use both. 

The switch might be going bad or maybe the magnet need to be just a tad stronger.

8Muddypaws said:
If your system is anything like mine there is a magnet somewhere on the door and a reed switch on (or in) the frame near where the magnet sits when the door is closed.

That switch may (electrically) normally open, or normally closed.  They use both. 

The switch might be going bad or maybe the magnet need to be just a tad stronger.

I had trouble with mine not retracting because the screen door hinges got tweaked. I tweaked them back and no problem since so long as I don't accidentally rebend them. A very slight bend can affect the switch.

Had the same thing happen with our old coach.... check the alignment of the door magnets.... probably have become misaligned

Thanks!

I looke the magnes over and they appear to align well.  Now the unit is stuck in the deployed position.  I suspect something is going on in the unit itself... :mad:.  Was hoping for a simple solution.

It might be something as simple as a loose connector to the controller or a bad reed switch.  Where your controller might be I wouldn't know.  But I do know you need to be careful when working on it - do not stick your fingers in the step mechanism at any time unless you have totally disabled the step, i.e. disconnect all power.

Try a stronger magnet.
Try percussive maintanance.  (wack it)
Try sticking a pin through the switch wires to make electrical contact.  (If the step retracts the reed switch is bad, and it's also a normally open switch.)

I will join the chorus on this.. On mine the magnet is in the screen door, Latch side, bottom (not in the bottom but in the side at the bottom) you may be able to "Torque" the door just a bit so that that corner is encouraged to come in a bit more.. or alternatively glue a bit of Fun Noodle foam on either the outside edge of the screen or the inside of the outer door at that specific point to push it in.  IF you need help locating the magnet a Compass (magnetic) will help.

had this happen.... and not a good feeling driving down the road and having the step merrily going out and then in, and then out again!

our problem: the connection behind the magnet (on the wall of coach side - not the door side) was loose.

cheers, pdq

One thing I did for my Rig.. From time to time I like to stand CLOSE to the rig where the steps are and hand stuff up through the door.. The steps make this hard to do.. So I put in an override switch, with this switch in the "override" from the point of view of the controller, the door never opens, EVER.

Great  feedback!
So far everything I have checked seems to be in order.  The magnet switch is in the screen door frame and seems solid. 
I like the idea of the override switch because I too have to pass stuff back into the coach and hate banging my shin into the step every time.

Thanks Again.  I will keep looking for the source of my current crisis and keep you informed. :)

I too have an override switch. I can have the steps either in or out. When we go camping I have the steps out and turn off the switch, and they stay out all the time. If the switch is off when the steps are in  they will stay in. If they are out and I turn on the ignition they will pull in, but won't go out again unless the override switch is turned on, or the ignition is on.

Our controller ended up with a bad connection under the plastic sealer the wiring goes through. Finally found it by gently moving the wires back and forth. Worth a try before you start taking things apart.

Back
Top Bottom