Inverter to battery fuse blown

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Echicks75

I have a xantrax freedom 458 2000 watt inverter that is connected to a battery bank of 4 6 volt deep cycle batteries connected so that they equal 2 12 volt batteries. There is a fuse that connects the two that is blown. It is labeled A3T200. I am wondering if I can replace this fuse with a breaker of some sort, so if this problem occurs again I can just reset the breaker. Have included a picture of the fuse. From one side the inverter comes in and the other side goes to the battery bank.

Attachments

• 122B8966-60BD-406C-8869-12518A4DFCE4.jpeg
    122B8966-60BD-406C-8869-12518A4DFCE4.jpeg
    81.3 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
from what I can see a 200 amp breaker is not cost effective and looks like for 240 volts, you're also dealing with DC not an AC fuse so that may come into play , we just keep a spare fuse if and when it is needed.

I think I would try to resolve why the fuse blew in the first place. Then you can determine whether to just replace the fuse or change to a breaker. Remember, breakers are sometimes a little slower to react than fuses. This can result in longer than expected exposure to an over-current condition.

Kevin

I just bought the RV and so I am not sure why it blew. I think I will stick with the fuse option. Where do guys buy fuses like this. Online? Is there a brick and mortar place that would carry these types of parts? I did read the installation instructions for the inverter and they recommend a 350amp fuse. The one that blew was only 200amp. So I will be replacing that one with a 350 amp fuse.

I use them but have not tripped one yet. I have a lower rated one I use on my starter battery, have a 100 amp for my inverter. Mostly use them more as a switch.

Kevin

With four batteries you are probably drawing a lot of current with a surge load such as turning on more than one thing.

The best advice is to upgrade to the fuse rating that was specified by the inverter manufacturer.

I was going to suggest that but it is better that it is confirmed by the source.

That must be a huge inverter if it can draw 350A (4200 watts). What make & model is it? And you shouldn't use a larger fuse unless the wiring is capable of handling that much amperage. Otherwise the next time it may be the wire that melts rather than the fuse.

A 200A fuse would typically handle a 1500W-2000W inverter, which seems more like what you Ambassador might be equipped with. And an inverter like that would probably have a max charging rate in the 100A-125A range.

I did read the installation instructions for the inverter and they recommend a 350amp fuse. The one that blew was only 200amp. So I will be replacing that one with a 350 amp fuse.
Phone Xantrex tech support to be sure 1-800-670-0707 they'll confirm and help you troubleshoot.

I have a 3,000 watt Xantrex inverter and when I turned on the microwave when the A/C was on I blew a 400 amp fuse between the inverter and the large battery bank.

Here is the page from the Xantrex install manual, (page 17).

I have a 3012 and it calls for a 350 amp fuse, I think that the 2000 watt is 2012 and calls for a 275 amp fuse.

Attachments

• Screenshot (6).jpg
    Screenshot (6).jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
I did read the installation instructions for the inverter and they recommend a 350amp fuse. The one that blew was only 200amp. So I will be replacing that one with a 350 amp fuse.

That is OK to do as long as the cables can handle the current. This table call for a AWG 300 cable which is HUGE.

1667876119247.png

Here is an offer to the Original Poster.

I have lots of extra fuses and fuse holders including 250 amp fuses.

You will need a short length of cable or two to connect the new fuse in place of the old one.

Take a bigger picture of your fuse and cables in relation to your inverter and I will make you cables and send you a fuse holder and a few 250 and 300 amp fuses. Email me, or send me a personal message on here and do not post your address online. I was planning on giving several of these away at the Forum rally anyway.

I will include a few 350 amp fuses also but be sure that they are not to high of amperage.

Here is a picture of what I will send you

Attachments

• disconnect switch.jpg
    disconnect switch.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Here is an offer to the Original Poster.

I have lots of extra fuses and fuse holders including 250 amp fuses.

You will need a short length of cable or two to connect the new fuse in place of the old one.

Take a bigger picture of your fuse and cables in relation to your inverter and I will make you cables and send you a fuse holder and a few 250 and 300 amp fuses. Email me, or send me a personal message on here and do not post your address online. I was planning on giving several of these away at the Forum rally anyway.

I will include a few 350 amp fuses also but be sure that they are not to high of amperage.

Here is a picture of what I will send you
Is that a class T fuse? I know that is what the instructions call for. I have that setup already. I just need to replace the fuse.

I looked up the Class T fuses and they are different than the fuses that I have always used between the batteries and the Inverter. The class T fuses that I saw seem to be for high voltage systems.

Is this fuse located in the input or the output. The Class T ones that I see are rated for 300 volts AC and are very expensive.

My Country Coach had a factory installed Xantrax inverter with the same type fuse that I showed above.

Maybe another Forum member will give us their opinion as to the suitability of ANL fuses located inline with the input.

Here is a link to one of the Class T fuses on Amazon.

Last edited:
Battery Cable Fusing A fuse is required by the NEC to protect the battery and cables. A UL Listed DC rated slow blow fuse must be installed in the positive (+) battery cable, within 18 inches of the battery. Recommended Fuse: UL Listed Class T JLLN with a DC Rating. This fuse with fuse holder is available from your dealer or Xantrex. For Freedom 20 & 20D 300 Amp Fuse & Holder PN# 84-4156-00 (C/R)* 300 Amp Fuse & Holder PN# 84-41554-00 (R/R)** 300 Amp Fuse Only PN# 84-4117-00 For Freedom 25 300 Amp Fuse & Holder PN# 84-4156-00 (C/R)* 300 Amp Fuse & Holder PN# 84-4154-00 (R/R)** 300 Amp Fuse Only PN# 84-4151-00 For Freedom 30 350 Amp Fuse & Holder PN# 84-4159-00 350 Amp Fuse Only PN# 84-4152-00 * Compression / Ring Terminal ** Ring / Ring Terminal

This is the verbiage from the installation instruction showing that it needs a class T DC Fuse. I have highlighted the the model I have and the Fuse I need. I have ordered this and it will arrive tomorrow. I will keep you updated on if it solves my problem.

OK, I stand corrected on the fuse size, or at least the recommended size. They must be expecting one helluva surge because 2000 watts (the Freedom 20) only uses 2000W/12V = 167A. Add another 10% for conversion loss and its still under 200A. My Xantrex RV2500 is wired with a 300A fuse and never blew it, but I never pulled a full 2500 watts either.

In any case, the fuse recommendation is meaningless unless the cables to the battery are large enough to handle that many amps.

The fuse must be rated below the ampacity of the wire to avoid the wire becoming the fusible link. The ampacity varies due to wire gauge and insulation temperature rating. I use a 300A class T fuse on a 3500 watt Matervolt inverter charger and haven't blown it yet.

Back
Top Bottom