Irish resident buying used RV in Oregon - what are cons if I have a friend who lives in Oregon register it in her name?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Graham B

Hi there , I’m new here. I’m looking at buying a used Class C in Oregon - I live in ireland so have no address or paperwork for the US.
I’m thinking of asking a friend if she will register it in her name and I’ll pay insurance for it and keep it in Oregon.

What are the negatives for her if she agrees - or do you have any advice on how I could deal with it (ive read about the LLC option so curious about that too, but cheaper if she registers it / hold the title

Thanks

Graham
Ireland

Hi Jackie, I thought they would look for proof of residence or a Local drivers license or social security number

We only went down the LLC route to legally avoid sales tax. As Oregon doesn't have sales tax, there may be no need to set up an LLC.
We also set up a mailing address in the state where we set up the LLC but I would imagine that Oregon also has mailing addresses available. If you set one up, I see no logical reason why you can't purchase and insure in your own name.

I’m thinking of asking a friend if she will register it in her name and I’ll pay insurance for it and keep it in Oregon.

What are the negatives for her if she agrees
The biggest negative is if you crash the RV and her insurance rates take a hit. Depending on the insurance, she may have to make you a "named" driver if she knowingly lets someone drive "her" RV on a regular basis.

However! A quick google reveals that getting an Oregon driver's license may be a piece of cake...

1708612575691.png

Hi Jackie, I thought they would look for proof of residence or a Local drivers license or social security number
You don't need an Oregon driver license to OWN a vehicle there, nor do you need to be a resident. Or even a person (businesses can own things too). You may, however, be asked for proof that the address you give is your bonafide residential or business address, but your friend can be your landlord and "rent" you a room and mainbox privileges.

Whether you get an Oregon driver license is a separate question. You can legally drive in the USA using your Irish license, but there may be reasons to obtain a license from a US state as well.

The biggest negative is if you crash the RV and her insurance rates take a hit.
IMHO that and the big liability for the friend of 'owning' the RV are both big negatives.

This ODOT DMV page suggests that proof of residence is required for a drivers license:

The drivers license in OR would probably make the insurance cost less.
Maybe, but the lack of any US driving record is more likely the critical factor in premium costs. A new driver in the USA won't appear in any risk database, so probably gets lumped into a higher risk category simply because there is no evidence to the contrary.
Some of our other US visitor members can probably give a better appraisal of their experience with obtaining insurance and the costs.

We added my name to my daughter's jeep because she had to renew the tag in person and she didn't want to give up her TN driver's license and get a NM driver's license. She also didn't want to drive 2000 miles one way to get a new tag. The insurance is in her name but the registration info on the insurance had to be updated to include my name. The title of the Jeep reads "Her Name OR My Name". The "OR" is very important. You do not want to use "AND" or "AND/OR". With "OR" you can usually put the insurance in your name.

We have been putting all our vehicles in both our names (using the "OR") as we live together and we both drive the vehicles interchangeably. This also means that if one of us dies, there is no problem with inheriting or selling off vehicles.

Just keep your wits about you Graham, they shanghai us Paddy’s over here to work on the railroads, especially out West.

We added my name to my daughter's jeep because she had to renew the tag in person and she didn't want to give up her TN driver's license and get a NM driver's license. She also didn't want to drive 2000 miles one way to get a new tag. The insurance is in her name but the registration info on the insurance had to be updated to include my name. The title of the Jeep reads "Her Name OR My Name". The "OR" is very important. You do not want to use "AND" or "AND/OR". With "OR" you can usually put the insurance in your name.
X2 on the importance of “OR”. If it’s “and” on the title, you both need to be present to renew or sell or do anything to do with title, transfer or registration. (Learned that one the hard way.)

We were told having a US driving licence would only reduce our premium by less than $50 from memory.

In NV as a UK visitor you can get one but it only lasts for 6 months if I recall correctly. We asked in 2016. May be different now though.

Check into an International Drivers License. When I had one it was good everywhere, except the country that issued it.

An IDP isn't required for UK visitors to the US for driving your own vehicle. However, we always have one as some car rental companies have asked us for one. That may be because we still use the original paper driving licence issued back in the 80's. (and no Jackie, not the 1880's)😁

😁

We've never been asked for an international driving licence. We only got it once then just used our normal ones. Even rental companies haven't asked for one. They'd lose money if they insisted on one I reckon.

An IDP isn't required for UK visitors to the US for driving your own vehicle. However, we always have one as some car rental companies have asked us for one. That may be because we still use the original paper driving licence issued back in the 80's. (and no Jackie, not the 1880's)😁
Some states (inc CA) specifically say they don't recognize an IDL.

Back in the day when we used to have A4 DLs, I was waiting to be stopped during visits across the pond and asked for my licence; I'd have handed it over back side up (on our side of the Severn bridge, the back of the A4 DL was all in Welsh). How's that for an IDL 😶

😁

We've never been asked for an international driving licence. We only got it once then just used our normal ones. Even rental companies haven't asked for one. They'd lose money if they insisted on one I reckon.
You 'reckon'? What, are you from Texas now? :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom