Is it dangerous being a gay woman on the road at all?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
darsben said:
Sure that's it scare the new campers by making them think RV parks are so bad you need dogs.
NICE!

Yeah, because we said that. Lighten up a bit.  I’d bet ten bucks and my right arm the OP is more intelligent than you give credit.

Most intruders wont mess with any place that has dogs. They are too unpredictable. My dog doesnt have a mean bone in his body, but he sure gets upset when strangers get close to me even to hug me. Although Im not sure if its because he is trying to protect me or if he thinks he should be the one getting the attention.... hes a bit of a diva.

cadee2c said:
Most intruders wont mess with any place that has dogs. They are too unpredictable. My dog doesnt have a mean bone in his body, but he sure gets upset when strangers get close to me even to hug me. Although Im not sure if its because he is trying to protect me or if he thinks he should be the one getting the attention.... hes a bit of a diva.

Very true. Dog barkin?, they leavin?. 

Dogs have a sixth sense we can only dream about.

If you and your partner were camped near me how would I know you are gay? Even if you were showing indications of it for the most part if you are around RV people you are around good people. If you want to be safest camp with the gun owners. You don't have a gay issue, you have a young female issue. You need to develop a sense of your surroundings as you travel. You develop that by reading your environment. As others mentioned it's less safe in and around cities. The rougher characters need to stay closer to population centers because it's easier to panhandle and steal stuff. You don't need to be freaked out all the time, you need to be aware. As mentioned above, when I pull into an area I read my surroundings, I look at what type of vehicles are parked, I look for people hanging out or carrying all their belongings. It doesn't make them all bad people but it does often make them people who will take the opportunity to take from others.

Is it easier to take something from a 210 pound male who may well be armed or a young female bebopping across the parking lot not paying attention.

Look around yourself, self defense is fine but more important is trying to identify any potential threats before they enter your zone. I always try to go to fuel stops or Walmart on the outer edges of town and I don't travel at night.

You may say this is just plain wrong and not like it but  it may be best to not show indications if sexual preference. There are wacky people on the liberal and conservative side and we won't get into that. The point is that if you show your preference you may run into someone who is smiling and waving yet vandalizes your vehicle during the night.

It's one of those arguments were a person can say I had every right to cross the street in the way I did but they are now laying in a hospital bed or dead. They are dead right. It's unfortunate but that's how it is. It's no different than being careful of what you say politically because there are so many zealots who are unaccepting of others point of view.

Come back with any questions or share some rough travel plans and we can give advice about the area. Check out RVillage, they have groups that surely include gays. Also free campsites.net, campendium, and even the traditional ole Escapees club. Escapees has cheap dry camping that's great when coming off boondocking to refill, dump and restock in town.

You do have another big risk which is the risk of wanting to keep on rving! Good luck to you

Is it dangerous to be gay any where else?? your everyday routine?? and why??>>>Dan  ( If you slap people in the face with it, you probably will have a problem)

I've been to a lot of the places "known to be" intolerant: Texas, AZ, the outskirts of NV... I've met all manner of people in RV's, and most of them are just plain friendly or, at worst, keep to themselves in live-and-let-live.

While I can't promise you'll never meet a mean, rude, or bigoted person, these days I'd suspect it's more dangerous to wear a MAGA hat in San Francisco than it is to be gay in a midwest RV park.

bigfatguy said:
un...
While I can't promise you'll never meet a mean, rude, or bigoted person, these days I'd suspect it's more dangerous to wear a MAGA hat in San Francisco than it is to be gay in a midwest RV park.

I would add south, west, east, ... to that midwest list.

My wife spent last weekend in Eureka Springs Arkansas, which unbeknownst to us ahead of time was having a diversity weekend with rainbow flags all over the place.  I saw no confrontations while there, nothing even close, though I did notice a few looks given, but only to some of the more flamboyantly dressed people, like one man/woman? in the downtown park handing out flyers while wearing a rainbow dress, with a rainbow feather boa.

catblaster said:
and mine never misses either.....I would rather sandpaper a bobcats butt while blindfolded than "do the dance"

Beautiful Dobie!  Scary -as it should be.

Isaac-1 said:
I would add south, west, east, ... to that midwest list.

My wife spent last weekend in Eureka Springs Arkansas, which unbeknownst to us ahead of time was having a diversity weekend with rainbow flags all over the place.  I saw no confrontations while there, nothing even close, though I did notice a few looks given, but only to some of the more flamboyantly dressed people, like one man/woman? in the downtown park handing out flyers while wearing a rainbow dress, with a rainbow feather boa.

Images of the Rocky Horror Picture Show just flashed through my mind, Isaac.  One of my most favorite movies -hilarious and a great sound track.

here in California...put a MAGA sticker on your car and watch how fast it gets keyed.  Park it in Hollywood and it will be totaled.

sightseers said:
here in California...put a MAGA sticker on your car and watch how fast it gets keyed.  Park it in Hollywood and it will be totaled.

Reason #100,001 for a gay woman to stay out of California. (Edited to get back on topic)

Back
Top Bottom