Is Liberty flat towable?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dot2dot

Hi, we're new to RV'ing and everything is learn as you go ! We are from Wisconsin !  We're looking for a flat tow vehicle and I think we want a Jeep Liberty .  Are all years of the Liberty flat towable ? We were looking at a 2008 Liberty, but haven't driven one yet to see how it feels. We did take a 2004 Liberty for a ride and I found it very responsive. Are any of the other models of Jeep flat towable ? Our RV is a 40' 1998 Continental Safari, no slide outs.  Thank you !

Bob & Gloria
1998 Continental Safari
Don't have a Toad yet !                                                                                           

If you would supply more info we could respond easier.  Like 2wd, 4wd, transfer case with neutral etc.  I the past we towed a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4wd AT with transfer case that had neutral, it towed great.  Check Motorhome Mag Toad/dingy guides.  http://www.motorhomemagazine.com/
Every year they put out a guide of cars and trucks that can become toads without having to do modifications.
And always check the owners manual under towing or recreational or RV towing.  Dick nvrver

We tow a 2006 Liberty, however in the US Jeep did market a 2 wheel drive Liberty, and that is not towable without alteration.  Virtually all 4 wheel drive Jeeps are towable be they standard or automatic transmission.  With ours, we have to put the key in accessory, the transmission in Park (yes that's wright) and the transfer case in neutral, that way all 4 wheels float freely. I do know some people who either pull a fuse or have a fuse switch, but our system works fine without doing so.  We have put about 40,000 miles towing the Liberty, using a Blue Ox tow system, and their braking system too.

Ed

Not all Jeeps with automatic transmission are flat towable. For example, my 2005 GC came with two AT options -- one towable four down and one that wasn't.

Follow Kim and Dick's advice while researching one that you are interested in -- don't listen to salesmen.

Finally, to reinforce the best advice you have already been given, make sure the owner's manual has a procedure for putting the AT transfer case in neutral for flat towing before you buy.

Quillback, in 2005 Jeep sold the GC in both 2 wheel or 4 wheel drive.  As I said, the 2 wheel drive can't be towed 4 down without alteration.  Are you saying that they offered a 4 wheel drive option that was not towable?

Quillback is correct - there was an electronic shift 4WD that was not towable.  That doesn't apply to the Liberty 4WD, though.

Still the best info is in the owner manual or at the dealer (but not the sales guy unless he can show you in writing).

Just to elaborate:

Jeep started a new series of Grand Cherokee in 2005 and ran it through 2010. This is why an individual needs to research the specific year and model they are interested in; a 2004 or 2111 may not be built similar to a 2005.

The 2005 was offered with either Quadra-Trac I (all wheel drive) or Quadra-Trac II with an electronic transfer case. Another variation was the Quadra-Drive System with the Quadra-Trac II transfer case and electronic limited slip front and rear differentials.

Since the Quadra-Trac I is a single speed transfer case which provides full time 4-wheel drive (and, therefore, the transfer case can't be shifted to neutral) it can't be towed four down without alteration and I don't know if it is even possible then since I was't interested in going there.

I wasn't interested in a Liberty so I don't know what drive train packages were offered.

Since we weren't interested in a GC I hadn't researched it, so thank you for educating me.

Ed

Wow, I didn't realize there were more answers here, sorry !  We don't really know anything about what can and can't be towed. It just turned out, that on a trip to California, we noticed the majority of RV's were towing Jeep Libertys. My husband knows a lot about mechanics, but it seems you start researching certain vehicles and all of a sudden you find out it isn't towable.  We do have a tow dolly, but that doesn't seem to be the way to go when you're traveling !  I guess I never realized toads are so hard to come by or how costly it is to have one installed.  I thank you for the info and I do hope we find something soon.  Also, it seems when we ask the salesman, they get this "deer in the headlights look" when you ask if it can be towed behind and RV and seem to bluff their way thru it....no help at all !

The response about looking at FMCA Towing guide is good because it will cover all vehicles. But you mentioned looking at a 2008 Jeep Liberty. If it is 4 wheel drive it is definitely towable. I have almost 60,000 towed miles on ours. I have towed it more than half way across the country without ever unhooking or running it. Jeep does recommend disconnecting the battery, but it isn't necessary for short runs. I installed a disconnect switch because I often run long days or even multiple days.

ken

According to "Motor Trend" August 2007 issue "First Drive: 2008 Jeep Liberty"...

...available in trail rated model with Command-Trac 4-wheel drive which includes locking diff and 4 LO settings. The Select-Trac II option is full-time 4WD, and rear drive remains standard.

It may be worth your time to check if the one you are interested in is full-time 4-wheel drive and whether it can be towed 4-down.

Yeah, it is. Jeep has  multiple 4WD systems and some are NOT towable. Nor are any of the 2WD drive models. Make sure you know which one the prospective vehicle has, and verify the towability of that particular one.

For 2008 both versions of the 4 wheel drive ate flat towable. That is per the manual for the car - I have the manual and double checked just to be sure.

ken

Back
Top Bottom