Is the grass greener?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blackwater1

Hello everyone!
I am a newbie and just bought a project RV that I just "had" to have :)
I know I'm in for quite a ride, and anxious to get started, but realistically, how much should I expect to spend on a full interior renovation for a Dutch Star 3858?
How about a roof replacement? It has a few active leaks, and I feel like it might be beneficial to just replace the whole roof instead of trying to fight an ongoing battle.
I am doing my investigation in all of these posts, but any advice here would be appreciated...

Thanks and Happy travels!!

1999 Newmar 3858
3 active leaks
Fiberglass
There is some interior damage, I would just like to update everything to have a new, fresh clean look
I would want to have someone else do the work

Thanks for your input!

The first thing you need to do is make it watertight. You might give Newmar a call re replacing the roof, which it sounds like it needs.

Re the inside, assuming interior demolition isn't required to repair water damage, renovations can take the form of painting over all the wallpaper, removing cloth window valences and replacing with what you might put in your home, new backspashes, floors, sinks and counters, and changing shiny brass hardware to today's fashion of pewter, all the way to a gut and build. Depends on your budget. I would wild guess a major freshening with someone else doing all the work (assuming all water damage had already been repaired) at $20K ish, very very wild guess and depends on if you need furniture which can be expensive. If you decided you wanted all new cabinets, a whole lot more. Depending on how well you did in the purchase it could be worth it but you'll have to watch no getting in too deep on an older unit.

Back
Top Bottom