Is there a monster under the bed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dwdanby

I have a 2004 Forest River Cardinal 32ft fifth wheel, with a queen bed in the bedroom. The bed sits on a wood box thing which is maybe 18" high. There is no entry point anywhere, just wood all around. I'm a new RVer and I'm dying of curiosity. Is there a monster under my bed? Failing that, what IS under there? and is there a way to use the space for storage? Perhaps I could share the space with the monster?

Have you tried lifting up the mattress and plywood or particle board under it? Many RV beds are hinged to access storage space under the bed. Our fresh water tank is under the bed, but there's still plenty of storage space.

Generally if you go to the foot of the bed and lift. It opens the storage space
and there may be a "False floor" in the storage space and wiring under that if the bed is in a slide out.

I bought this fiver a few years ago and looked under the bed and found a bunch of wires and gears. I could not figure out what they were so I asked a mobile mechanic who was working on my plumbing what was that stuff. It is the gears for the slide out. Oh.

It probably hinges open, but there may not be any storage under there. Some RVs have the fresh water "tank" there (a flexible bladder is common), and often a maze of wiring and maybe rear slide mechanics and a slide controller. I've seen water pumps located there, and rear access to a water heater too. Just about anything the RV maker wants to hide out of the way.

And yes, the maze of wiring could well qualify as a "monster". :devilish:

Ours had an actual monster, the diesel engine! It is big, noisy and hot, but it does provide easier access to work on the engine.

Ed

Back
Top Bottom