Is This A Good Buy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Frizlefrak said:
28' long, gross weight of 6040.  The OP's F150 will handle this one.

https://elpaso.craigslist.org/rvs/5383791844.html

I should get that one, for the bunk beds and Homeskillet should get this one, close to my location. Maybe we can meet in the middle to swap.  ;)
http://www.rvtrader.com/dealers/Consignment-RV-Sales-2908906/listing/2008-Keystone-Passport-285RL-116957559

This thread is a prime example of people helping people and why I lurk here everyday as my search for our first RV continues. Best of luck to the OP. You will make the right decision with the these good folks by your side!

Homeskillet said:
But, the dry weight of this unit is at 6,500 Lbs.  Factor in clothes, etc.  We're probably at around 7,000 Lbs.  Our truck will only pull 7,600 Lbs. 

Wouldn't this be a little too close for comfort in weight?  Or will the equalizer & sway bar assist with that?

A 500# allowance might be a little light for everything that a family totes along, and don't forget the weight of any/all cargo in your truck... including all the passengers.  If I remember right, you have a few kids + all their stuff.  The weight distributing hitch probably weighs another 100# + all of its parts.  With all those considerations you'd be at or over your weight limit pretty easily. 

Will your 1/2-ton truck still be able to pull the trailer, a little over its capacity?  Sure.  Will it be a fun experience?  Probably not... especially not with any crosswinds or mountainous driving.

Equalizer/sway bar equipment are the components of a weight distributing hitch full setup, and those will not increase your truck's maximum towing capacity.  The weight distribution is the equalizer portion that reduces rear-end sag and helps the truck ride level (improves handling while towing), and the anti-sway portion reduces the side-to-side trailer "wagging" while towing (often caused by heavy winds or passing semi trucks, etc).

Exactly what Scotty said. 

You'd be on the ragged edge of the truck's rating.  The closer you get to the tow vehicle's limitations, the less fun towing is.  And I think if it has a dry weight of 6500, you'll likely be closer to 8000 by the time you factor in everything you need to travel with.  Remember that "dry" weight may not be anywhere near accurate, and that the trailer may weigh 500 lbs more than that before it even leaves the dealer brand new.  Dry weight may not even include the A/C, propane tanks, awning, spare tire, or any other options. Just throwing in 30 gallons of water makes it gain 240 lbs.  Your propane tanks may add another 100.  The hitch assembly itself could weigh 100 lbs.  You get the picture.

Again...CAN you pull the trailer?  Yes.  Will you enjoy it?  Probably not.  Bigger truck or smaller trailer.

Keep looking.  The right unit is out there somewhere!

The best way to determine the truck's actual capacity is to load the truck as if you were ready to pull the TT, including passengers, cargo, etc. and get it weighed.  Now you have a starting point.

Look at the driver door jamb and find the truck GVWR.  This is the most the loaded truck may weigh.
Subtract actual weight from GVWR.  This is what you may safely add.
Subtract 100# for a hitch.  Multiply result by 8.  This is the max TT GVWR the truck can handle. 
Using 12.5% of TT weight as tongue weight (TW),  8# of TT = 1# of TW, or 8,000# TT = 1,000# TW

TT dry weight is nearly useless.  Use the TT  GVWR as a much more realistic estimate of what it will weigh.  These numbers can be massaged a little, but they will be fairly close to reality.

The 7,600# towing capacity assumes an empty truck and a 150# driver.  No passenger, no cargo.

grashley said:
Keep looking.  The right unit is out there somewhere!

Exactly.  You're likely going to have to find a smaller trailer....but here's another angle to look at things.  Once the weather warms up a bit, you can add a screen room to your trailer to gain some living space.  This can make a smaller (F150 friendly) trailer more livable. 

Attachments

• screen rome.jpg
    screen rome.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 12
grashley said:
GVWR as a much more realistic estimate of what it will weigh

This is sometimes the case, but really depends on the trailer.  My TT is rated empty at 7900# and GVWR is almost 11000#... so it can really handle some serious cargo.  Loaded weight is around 9000# so I have a lot of headroom in the GVWR.  My 3/4-ton Suburban is rated for 10000# towing, so if I went by trailer GVWR then it wouldn't happen.

Smaller trailers may have that kind of cargo capacity however, but I was surprised at the numbers on my TT when I got it to a scale.

Homeskillet, take a look at this thread: http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,91181.30.html I got some great guidance and you can find some calculations.
I was interested to find out how much dry weight could the TT have if our truck tows 7,350#. We should stay around 4,500# dry weight and for you should be around 5,000#, I think. I know that DW is not so important but I think it gives a good starting point in one's search.
On top of that if you'll be fulltimming you'll carry more stuff with you so you should consider a bigger cargo and a lighter trailer. So look for the "lite" series. There's a lot of them out there just have to find the perfect floor plan.
Do you travel with kids or just with the wife?
I like this one: https://albuquerque.craigslist.org/rvd/5426639776.html
Dry Weight 4757 lbs.
GVWR 7603 lbs. (Maximum Weight With Cargo)
https://albuquerque.craigslist.org/rvs/5427165434.html a shorter Keystone Passport ultra lite 2012
You should look at some used TT before you dismiss them. Some of them look and smell "like new".

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob007
Back
Top Bottom