Jeep Modifications

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
John,

I'm kinda taking the same approach. Get the basics done for this year.

If I like it, the wallet will be burning getting ready for next year. ;D

hes4all said:
..I have had a few pucker moments with the stock brakes and low gears. I had to slam the into neutral then fined a place to clean myself up! Pretty scary a few times for sure!
Yup - roger that!  Now if I'm in 4-low with my RubiCrawler engaged (and I have the Vanco big brake kit), I could stand on the brakes and I can't stop due to the torque of 10 to 1 final ratio with the 4.1 transfer case and the RubiCrawler.  I'm careful when I use that.

One thing I forgot to mention John is I had to rebuild my transmission over the winter from heat build up. My transmission guy ordered me a converter with 400 rmp stall over stock. He said this would help a ton with heat build up because of the low gearing. I can tell you I don't have to stand so hard on the brakes now. And there appear to be no change in highway driving at all!

Building a Jeep is a "never-ending" drain on the bank account. I priced out the Vanco 17" Big Brake Conversion kit...$1,495.00, and it is not a direct bolt-on, so I would assume there are other mods that must take place as well.

I found these wheels that I like, and might do the trick http://www.4wd.com/Jeep-Wheels-Jeep-Wheel-Accessories/Series-7089-Flat-Black-Alloy-Wheel.aspx?t_c=11&t_s=210&t_pt=100073&t_pn=PXA7089-7865

I really like the Birddog Wheels http://www.intercotire.com/BIRDDOG.php but their 17" wheel does not come in a 5" x 4.5" bolt pattern.

I like the BDS Suspension 3" Ultimate Lift Kit, but it is a bit pricey at $1,945.00, when the Rough Country 3.25 suspension lift kit is a fraction of that cost. I'll have to do some more research into the components to find out why there is such a dramatic difference in price.

I found these tires, http://www.4wheelparts.com/Tires/33x12-50R17LT-Grabber-AT2.aspx?t_c=13&t_s=486&t_pt=101130&t_pn=GEN04568640000 that look like they will work for what I need...

The list seems endless...

Oscar Mike said:
Building a Jeep is a "never-ending" drain on the bank account. I priced out the Vanco 17" Big Brake Conversion kit...$1,495.00, and it is not a direct bolt-on, so I would assume there are other mods that must take place as well...
I bought (and installed) the 16" kit which was a dumb mistake, should have gone to the 17" kit.  All of the advice I read said don't go too large with brakes or braking could have too much force.  I talked to Blaine (Vanco kit designer) and he said the larger brakes would have been fine.    ::)

It is a bit of work to install the kit - you have to pull the axle shafts and replace the stock steering knuckle with the modified knuckle in the kit but the advantage of doing this work is that you get familiar with doing your own work which is handy for trail repairs.  On the 16" kit, the rotors (and I think the calipers) are off a Ford Explorer and are maybe 1/4" too large in diameter so they had to be ground down a bit.  I put Rubi on four jackstands, started the engine, put it in 4-low and let the engine idle which rotated the rotors.  I used an angle grinder against the rotating rotor to take off the necessary material.  The rotors should last for a very, very long time so I don't expect to go through the rotor grinding again.

The caliper in the kit is a dual piston which provides good force against the entire pad unlike the OEM caliper which is a single large piston pushing against the middle of the pad.

Consider Goodyear MT/R Kevlars - they are an extremely good off-road tire and very very good on-road, I'm on my second set (moved up from 33 to 35s.)  The sizing is very accurate, i.e., if you buy a 33" tire, it should measure 33".  The other popular tire I've seen many times is the Mud-Terrain T/A KM2 and to a lesser extent the All-Terrain T/A KO.  The Mud Terrain has a more aggressive tread (better off-road) and the All-Terrain with a less aggressive tread is okay off-road but designed for better on-road performance.

To add to John's mention of the KM2's, they wear extremely well as well as peform well off-road.  I have about 30k on mine driving and another 5-6k of being flat-towed and they still have a lot of life left in them.  When I purchased them I was told I should see close to 40k miles out of them.  I didn't believe it at the time but I may see closer to 50k by the time it is all said and done.  I am anal about tire rotations though so I am sure that has helped to prolong the life.

Mike.

John Canfield said:
Consider Goodyear MT/R Kevlars - they are an extremely good off-road tire and very very good on-road, I'm on my second set (moved up from 33 to 35s.)  The sizing is very accurate, i.e., if you buy a 33" tire, it should measure 33". 

The Goodyear MT/R Kevlar do not come in a 33" inch in a 17" wheel, they come in LT315/70R17D2 121Q B and then jump to 35s. Otherwise it is the tire I would consider. Nor does the Mud-Terrain T/A KM2 come in a 33 inch tire in a 17" wheel.

Oscar Mike said:
The Goodyear MT/R Kevlar do not come in a 33" inch in a 17" wheel, they come in LT315/70R17D2 121Q B and then jump to 35s. Otherwise it is the tire I would consider. Nor does the Mud-Terrain T/A KM2 come in a 33 inch tire in a 17" wheel.

The 315/70R17 MTR's would measure out to about 34.3x12.5. They do make a 305/70R16 which is what I run on my 16" rims. Those measure out to about 33x12. I think that if you are not going any larger than 33's, you are not going to need a Vanco big brake kit. I use Blaine's Black Magic pads and rotors with stock calipers on mine and it has great stopping power. I agree, that if one was to move to 35's the Big Brake Kit would be a good choice. Another thing to remember is the larger the rim, the more $'s for the tires. I could save about $200 on a five tire purchase for the same size tires of the same kind if I would have stayed with the 15" rims.

Water Dog said:
The 315/70R17 MTR's would measure out to about 34.3x12.5. They do make a 305/70R16 which is what I run on my 16" rims. Those measure out to about 33x12. I think that if you are not going any larger than 33's, you are not going to need a Vanco big brake kit. I use Blaine's Black Magic pads and rotors with stock calipers on mine and it has great stopping power. I agree, that if one was to move to 35's the Big Brake Kit would be a good choice. Another thing to remember is the larger the rim, the more $'s for the tires. I could save about $200 on a five tire purchase for the same size tires of the same kind if I would have stayed with the 15" rims.

I hear you. I don't know where my build is heading right now, but one thing is for certain, it is best to move slowly in this hobby, as mistakes and do-overs are quite expensive. As far as the tires and wheels go, I am not sure. I like the idea of 17" wheels, but I am good with 15" wheels too. I don't have to make a decision at this very moment.

Thanks for the head's up on the tire diameters, as you might have guessed I am quite green in this hobby...but I am learning by leaps and bounds.

Oscar Mike said:
I hear you. I don't know where my build is heading right now, but one thing is for certain, it is best to move slowly in this hobby, as mistakes and do-overs are quite expensive. As far as the tires and wheels go, I am not sure. I like the idea of 17" wheels, but I am good with 15" wheels too. I don't have to make a decision at this very moment.

Thanks for the head's up on the tire diameters, as you might have guessed I am quite green in this hobby...but I am learning by leaps and bounds.

You might want to browse around the search feature on Wrangler Forum.com on the TJ section. There are quite a few of the younger set on there without a lot of experience, but there are also some old timers that know the ropes of modifications, and it doesn't take long to realize who knows their stuff. It's probably one of the "more" friendly Jeep sites although not near as friendly as here... ;). http://www.wranglerforum.com/#tj-jeep-wrangler-forum

Water Dog said:
You might want to browse around the search feature on Wrangler Forum.com on the TJ section. There are quite a few of the younger set on there without a lot of experience, but there are also some old timers that know the ropes of modifications, and it doesn't take long to realize who knows their stuff. It's probably one of the "more" friendly Jeep sites although not near as friendly as here... ;). http://www.wranglerforum.com/#tj-jeep-wrangler-forum

I have joined and I am posting in the Wrangler forum, and also Forbidden Jeeps forum. The Wrangler forum has a lot of young guys, but it is a fun, fast-moving forum. Forbidden Jeeps is a smaller forum. Both have given me some valuable information.

Water Dog said:

The 305/70R16's KM2's are what my son is running on his 04 LJ.  Looks great with his 4" long-arm suspension (nice proportion to wheelwell/tire size) and rides great both on and off-road.

Mike.

zmotorsports said:
The 305/70R16's KM2's are what my son is running on his 04 LJ.  Looks great with his 4" long-arm suspension (nice proportion to wheelwell/tire size) and rides great both on and off-road.

Mike.

I've got to say, I do like the appearance of the little bit shorter sidewall on the 70's versus the 75's. And they air down great on 16 x 8 rims.

I have ordered the Rock Hard 4x4 Sports Cage Kit as the first in my DIY installations for the TJ. I don't know how far I will be able to get with my build before Moab, prices for 4x4 stuff is over-the-top expensive... :eek:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob007
Back
Top Bottom