Just say, "Thank you"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rollie

I don't want this to sound preachy or condescending but here is a little theory  I have on the proper care and feeding of a co-pilot.  In the past when my DW (co-pilot) would say something like, "There's a stop sign!" or "Here comes a truck!" I would say," I saw it!" ... sometimes I would not have a pleasant tone nor a happy expression  :mad: ... if you catch my drift.  Then I happened to think, what if I didn't see the stop sign or the truck and because I had not reacted positively in the past my DW would assume I had seen them or hesitate just a second before saying anything.  :eek:  So I started to just say "Thank you" and mean it.  Now she doesn't hesitate and I get more opportunities  to let her know how much I appreciate her company and assistance.  Plus sometimes I really hadn't seen that stop sign or the truck or, oh by the way, the flowers. ;D

Rollie,

I'll pass that great advice along to my driver.

Excellent point, Rollie.  My co-pilot is forever telling me about things I already saw and sometimes it irks me a bit, but I try to  NEVER let it show. Occasionally she does indeed see something I missed and someday that thing may be life threatening, or at least a very expensive "Ooops!" Besides, I always tell her what landmarks, intersections, street signs, etc. I am looking for so that two pairs of eyes are on the lookout and that's a big help.

I came to the same conclusion a while ago, so I started answering Karen with, "Thanks!  Four eyes are better than two!" I'm sure my wife is tired of me saying that and just rolls her eyes now, but rolled eyes only lasts a few seconds which is a lot better than the two hours of fuming silence I used to get.

-Dave

Been doing it, for years! Ony way to go!  ;D

And, every now and then it matters!  :eek:

Ray D  ;D

Back when we were first married, we hit on another approach.  We were bouncing down a gravel lane one afternoon when my wife said, "Don't hit that cat!"  I had seen the cat already and let her know that in an irritated manner.  She pointed out that she couldn't know that I had seen it, didn't want us to hit it, and wondered how she could convey that without irritating me.  I probably could have suggested that she should wait for me to grow up...  but she'd still be waiting, I suppose.  Anyway, my suggestion was that next time she should say, "Think you can hit that cat?"  We've been advising each other with, "Think you can hit that...  " ever since which normally brings a chuckle or a smirk.  Not sure why, but it's worked for us.  ;D    ....    Steve

Great advice and I have been adviced to use it <g>.  Actually my co-pilot is very good about letting me know of potential problems ahead in the road.  My problem is not the advice but the tone in which it is delivered.  The tone is such that I immediately go into red alert thinking we are about to be hit directly by a freight train or similar vehicle and disaster is immediately upon us.  I will however, when my heart returns to normal simple reply THANKYOU...tim

Excellent advice that I figured out years ago. My wife drives everywhere we go because, frankly, she gripes about my driving and I don't gripe about hers. It works fine. But she won't drive the MH. Makes her too nervous. So, I drive the rig but whenever either of us is behind the wheel we consider our partner an extra and crucial set of eyes. We thank each other for every little bit of help, whether we needed it or not.

(The griping is a different matter altogether and it's becoming less frequent as we get older.)  ;)

Tony,

Well, of course you'd need a co-pilot. You all drive on the wrong side of the road!  ;)

Nice to see you here.

Dave,

Your radio show must be fun to listen to.

Nice of you to say, Tom, and it used to be true. We did a fun and informative show. Had huge ratings, too. But that was in Sacramento and now I'm with CBS in L.A. Network owned stations tend to be a little stodgy and so we are now. It's not much fun anymore but as my wife keeps reminding me, it pays for my Sea Breeze and buys a lot of gas!  ;D

Good idea... except the passenger has to say something.

I have excellent peripheral vision and what I usually get is a gasp and see her out of the corner of my eye reaching for something to hang on to or her foot hitting her imaginary brake.  :eek: Once in a while, I'll get a "MICHAEL!" and not much more.  :mad: I've even asked (told) her it'd be more effective if she'd just say something. 

Fortunately she's been getting better at it -- or maybe it's just me being more careful with my driving. ;D

THANK YOU for this post!  ;D  On our last trip I was saying "watch out for this branch and that branch" just to be helpful...after a not so nice "I see them!" ...I was just trying to be helpful...well...needless to say I was a little "out of sorts"...upon realizing his error in communication, he now acknowledges my "helpfulness" with a more pleasant tone...so I'm glad that others, too, are realizing that sometimes we're not being bossy...just trying to be helpful...and even it you're stressed with having to navigate through something...we are there to "try" to help.  So...THANK YOU for this post!  I think it might help others to read this, too.

Back
Top Bottom