Just Turned 70 Concern

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I turned 70 late last year. Is it time to turn in my Class A keys? I still have all my faculties. Just curious.
Late last year and now just posting? What took you so long to post this? Maybe the only problem is that your clock is running slow?:giggle: Happy Birthday and hopefully many more to come...

Only you can make this difficult decision.

I’ll be 75 in October. I’m fortunate to be blessed with good health. I take only one prescription med. Blood pressure always 110/70. Heart healthy. No Covid.

My wife and I will take the coach from Ohio to the west coast and back this summer. In the seven years we’ve owned this coach, we’ve traveled 80,000 miles so far.

However, I can tell that I’m not as “sharp” as I used to be. My driving skills haven’t deteriorated yet, but I can see little things happening that show me I’m mentally slowing down a little. I see differences in my ability to concentrate and multi-task. I sometimes struggle to find the right word in a conversation. So, what to do?

For the moment, it’s status quo. We’ll travel more this summer and see how things go. I think I’ll know when it’s time to come off the road, but I’m not there yet. A few more years...

I turned 70 late last year. Is it time to turn in my Class A keys? I still have all my faculties. Just curious.
Considering that there are still a very few people in their 90s flying light aircraft, you might consider that it's more what condition you're in than it is your age. At 78 I still get around fine, and I know of people who use canes and wheel chairs that still go RVing, even driving them, so just go by YOUR condition, rather than be concerned about a number that means little on an individual basis.

78 here, and I had my annual physical today. All blood work normal, BP normal, etc, and their voluntary reaction tester put me in the 35-40 age group. I think I'm ok for at least another year or so...

I did not even start full-timing until I was 69, and now am almost 78 and still on the road. More aches and pains, and a few concerns about falling, but am hoping I get at least another five years out of this rig and my old body. I've driven about 15,000 miles the last couple of years, and am planning to drive a little more than that this year.

As long as your vision is still good and you drive safely, keep doing what you want to do.

LOL - Almost 71 here and we are about to make a deal on our 2nd Class A - a big DP. Can't wait to get going. Enjoy your life. Wife asked me how long I thought I might want to live the RV life - I told her I thought I had at least another good 20 yars or more.

Everyone is different. If you feel it is time to turn in your Class A keys, it probably is past time. I'm a bit younger than the crowd above, my experiences with watching my beloved seniors age is, not one single one willing admits to or is aware of their aging process and slowing of everyday processing. Driving a car is one thing, a Class A is a whole new story. I'm not saying that you can't be 90+ and drive a Class A, I'm saying everyone is different, and if you feel it is getting to be a bit much, don't be ashamed to accept that, it just means there is a different adventure chapter in your life coming. Your best source of advice will come from your close loved ones and your DR.

With us it wasn't age or slipping faculties, it was the effort to maintain the RV and the decision of whether to get a newer larger RV or to buy a sticks and bricks Snowbird location. The latter won out, but I keep looking for a smaller easier RV, and we continue to scratch our wanderlust by taking lengthy trips in our SUV. It isn't the same, but we have taken a couple of trips from Florida as far west to California, and the SUV is so much easier to maneuver and actually a lot more comfortable.
Ed

We purchased 10 acres in Virginia. Our son is living off grid there now. Our TT is there and we visit quite often. Electric is forthcoming along with septic and well. We have ordered a log cabin park model to be delivered in October. I’m 70, had two knee replacements that didn’t work. My wife is 68 and had major neck surgery. We used to travel internationally a couple times a year and camp several times also. The property seemed like a good fit for us. Our son is a 100% disabled Iraq war vet so doesn’t work. He can take care of the property and us.

Back
Top Bottom