Keebler Mechanics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Harveyj

Wife and I went to a local RV dealer over the weekend to look at all of the New rigs.
We had the opportunity to see most of the Newmar line...beautiful rigs.  When we crawled up into a new 40' Dutch Star (3 slides) and tag axle.
I went back and checked out the rear bathroom  (this unit had a bath and a half).  While looking around, I noticed the very small access hatch, around 18-20" ??? over the engine.  I have seen others with the rear bedroom that had the huge hatch under the queen/king bed that gave the much needed access to the big diesel.
Just how does one work on these??  I asked the salesman and he was just as surprised as I was.
I wish I was in the market for one of these big "A's" and this was an area of concern, but....

Harvey

Usually, coaches with north/south beds (front to back) have the lift up beds that can give access to the engine. If the bed is east/west, it is usually in a slide and the slide mechanism is below the bed. In that case there are other trap doors in the floor to access necessary engine parts. We have one on the step before the closet and one in the closet to access the air filter.

Harveyj said:
Wife and I went to a local RV dealer over the weekend to look at all of the New rigs.
We had the opportunity to see most of the Newmar line...beautiful rigs.  When we crawled up into a new 40' Dutch Star (3 slides) and tag axle.
I went back and checked out the rear bathroom  (this unit had a bath and a half).  While looking around, I noticed the very small access hatch, around 18-20" ??? over the engine.  I have seen others with the rear bedroom that had the huge hatch under the queen/king bed that gave the much needed access to the big diesel.
Just how does one work on these??  I asked the salesman and he was just as surprised as I was.
I wish I was in the market for one of these big "A's" and this was an area of concern, but....

We have a 1993 Blue Bird Wanderlodge. You walk around to the rear of the coach, open up that engine door and voila, there is the engine. Easy to get to.

Regards,
Jack and Liz

As with many rear engine diesels, our Monaco has access to the engine from the outside rear of the coach. It also has a couple of floor hatches, one in the bedroom and one in the closet, to make it easier to get to some items such as the transmission dipstick. But stuff like filters and belts are accessible from the outside rear doors.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom