Keeping 5th Wheel plugged in over winter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
albertm1960 said:
This confuses me, I am also living in Montana camper for the winter while lifting home.  I have it hooked up to temp pole with a 50 amp hook up since July.  I have just been leaving it plugged in.  Not sure what everyone means by using timers and charging 1 hour a day? Is that for battery?  I've just been using trailer without anything like that.  I haven't even checked the battery, not sure were it is, maybe in back storage??  Please let me know if I'm doing something wrong. Thanks

It is still a good idea to check the water level in the batteries as preventative maintenance. When you find your battery, if it's a maintenance free type then no worries.

srs713 said:
It is still a good idea to check the water level in the batteries as preventative maintenance. When you find your battery, if it's a maintenance free type then no worries.
I will find and check.  As for using, I see its fully charged but since I'm connected I didnt think I was actually ever using it, its just there as backup in case elec goes out...?  Also, Before I moved in I did test it and kept a light on overnight to find it dead in the morning, is that typical or is it possibly an old battery? I always wondered how when you travel and your off road how you keep lights on on a single battery for any length of time..generator? multiple batteries?

albertm1960 said:
I will find and check.  As for using, I see its fully charged but since I'm connected I didnt think I was actually ever using it, its just there as backup in case elec goes out...?  Also, Before I moved in I did test it and kept a light on overnight to find it dead in the morning, is that typical or is it possibly an old battery? I always wondered how when you travel and your off road how you keep lights on on a single battery for any length of time..generator? multiple batteries?

You say the battery is fully charged. How are you checking that?  Don't go by the battery indicator on your control panel. What that is telling you is the actual output of the converter. You would need to check the battery by disconnecting one of the battery posts and check then battery with a volt meter. At the same time, before you reconnect the cable, check the output of the converter at the ends of the battery cables.

Rene T said:
You say the battery is fully charged. How are you checking that?  Don't go by the battery indicator on your control panel. What that is telling you is the actual output of the converter. You would need to check the battery by disconnecting one of the battery posts and check then battery with a volt meter. At the same time, before you reconnect the cable, check the output of the converter at the ends of the battery cables.
Well, I can do many things but things of an electric nature makes me nervous. I will you tube volt meter, never used one. I thought all my elec came from pole and didnt need battery. Not sure how RV elec works.  I recently noticed some lights not working, All fuses good in fused box wilth lever fused..  then noticed I had what calledIOTA Low Voltage Electrical Distribution Panal.  In there looks like old fashioned pull out fuses. Are they additonal fuses?    Above Number seven the red light is lit.  15amp.  Do I simply remove and replace by pulling it out or do I need to unplug trailor or anything like that.  I was going to start a new thread but thought I'd start here. thanks 

Gary RV Roamer said:
I wouldn't trust a Parallax 7400, and Even Parallax recommends that it NOT be used for extended periods. This excerpt is from the 7400 manual:

One method is the plug the coach into an appliance timer (using a 15A adapter) and setting it to power on only 1-2 hours per day. That should be enough to prevent over-charging and reduce water loss to a bare minimum.
I like this Idea!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reggiejay1591
Back
Top Bottom