Key West

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hankpac

Anybody have information on the Navy Base and it's RV park on Key West?

I'll do that. According to the info on the site mentioned above, it is a first come first serve, two week limit type park. We have friends stationed there, so wanted to spend two weeks at the military park. the park is limited to retirees, and active duty. A call seems like the best idea.

hankpac,  I've seen in the past years that if you contact your friend on the post, sometimes they will allow visitors to use the campground even if you aren't a retired member of the Armed  Forces.  I know for fact that 3  individuals did it that way.  However it wasn't this time of year, which could make a difference.

Just got off the phone with them. There is a dry camp overflow area. If a person has stayed two weeks, and anyone is in overflow on the waiting list, they go out, and the waiter goes in. Some people switch back and forth all winter. If there is no one in rotation, then one can stay in place for an aditional two weeks.
Sounds like the place is pretty poular, but doesn't sound like we would be stranded. Can at least park in secure area, and dump tanks if needed. Of course I would rn the gen a bit, but it would be no hardship.

We were in the Sigsby Campground (NAS Key West) just last week. The Fantasy Fest was going on and Key West was crowded. No problems at Sigsby which had many empty sites in the overflow area. I expected a big open field but all of the sites were individually marked and all were grassy with picnic tables. The roads were all hard surface. There was a bath house, dump station and potable water available. Upon arrival we were given a map and told to go select a site and let the registration office know which one we were in. Ours and many others were right on the water with fishing, swimming and snorkeling. We pulled straight in and had a beautiful view of the Gulf. This was a no no and soon the camp host came around and said their Fire Marshall required all RVs to back in. This was during cocktail hour and I told him I would move it first thing the next morning since I didn't drink and drive. He smiled and left. We did turn it around the next morning. The second day we were there we had a notice attached to the RV that we could now move to a full hookup site. Since we were only staying for two days I can't comment on the full hookup sites except they are in the same area but not right on the water. I would not hesitate to return Sigsby.

If you will hit your "back" arrow on the upper left on your computer and go to "Military Camp Grounds for Class A's you will see the complete Yahoo address and meet Bob. I just joined the site and discovered that some people have stayed in Key West for six months during the winter. I was there last year and paid over $250.00 per night at a hotel. Talk about Sigbee being a bargain!!!

Garden Knowm said:
: )

I like this thread!!

Where exactly is this military campground?  Is there a MAP online?

cheers

The campground is on Key West Naval Air Station.

Check  KWNAS FamCamp

Authorized Users: Active duty, National Guard, Reservists, Retired, 100% DAV, DoD Civilians, DoT civilians working for Coast Guard, NATO allies on orders to the US.

Does that mena that it is not open to the public... It seemed as if there may be an exception..... ?

I checked.. It is 3.63 miles from Down Town Key West...  closest Camp Site I could find... 

The list is included in his signature, the rest of us get to patronize the State parks and private campgrounds.

Garden Knowm said:
Does that mean that it is not open to the public... It seemed as if there may be an exception..... ?

Correct. It's not open to the public. The only exception (at some FamCamps) is if someone takes you in as a guest. I don't know about Sigsbee.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CampMike2270
Back
Top Bottom