Keyless Entry DOA?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

emiddleb

Background:  2004 Vectra with key fob (just have one) and no keypad outside door.  Keyfob has the lock/unlock for door (which also turns on door light and handle light) and lock/unlock for the cargo bays.

Fob stopped working for both door and bays.  Interior lock/unlock switches on panel by door for door and bays locks still works fine.

Figured battery dead on fob so replaced with new battery.  No joy.  Tried battery swap with known working battery from awning remote, still no joy.

Looked at pinned thread on keyless entries and other threads, got Winne doc on keyless entry, located module in bay behind fuse panel.  Did the 'push the yellow button for 4 seconds' reprogram process (push lock button, cycle ignition key etc) but still no joy.  Checked 12v push-button fuses in bay panel for door locks, bay locks etc and all seem fine.

Did notice one thing... doc describes a "soft clicking" sound the unit should make when the yellow reset button is pressed... I do not hear it.  Unplugged the harness that goes into the box, let it rest a few minutes to see if electronics reset and/or harness issue.  Plugged harness in, still no clicking, tried reprogram stuff, still no remote.  Interior door and compartment lock switches on panel by door continue to work fine.

Anything else you can think of for me to check, or is the unit DOA?  I am aware of the vendor issues and need to go to another system and probably a special wiring harness adaptor if it comes to that.

Thanks all.

Edit by John: changed message icon to Topic Solved

Have you tried cleaning the brass contacts in the door frame with some steel wool? They look like little brass semi round buttons about half way up the inside of the door jamb.  When mine would quit working, that was always my first step. Worked every time. 

Originally I hadn't tried cleaning the door contacts as they didn't look too bad and since the bays also would not unlock I didn't think that would be the problem.  Did clean them after reading your response but still no luck.  Thanks for the suggestion though.  Was worth a try.

The lack of the "soft click" during a reset suggests the lock controller module is dead. Are you able to identify the brand of the lock system?  Mine is from HDC (aka Pop-locks), but my coach isn't a Winnie. HDC has troubleshooting help online at their website.

Well I have a 2007 Journey, and every thing you described, happened to me. And I mean everything!!

It sounds like my system.  Well it has been three years and the locks work whenever they want to. 

As of today they have worked since I parked it after spending the winter in Florida.  It has been almost two months.  Of course I haven't moved it.  It s plugged into power 20AMP. just to keep the MH powered. 

I still believe there is a loose wire somewhere, or that there is a power supply in the locking system that draines any reserve power. The answer is to change the system.

Forget the contacts, it's in the power system in the dash.

Jim

I am not a tech guy cannot read a schematic, but I bet if someone had one and could read it could find out what's draining the power. Broke is broke, it is intermittent, so itis not totally broken. 

It is on my bucket list of things to fix.  Heck I finally installed a CB antenna, and my next project is installing new TV'S. 

Thanks guys.  Looks like another item for my to-do list.

Annoying as it is, at least it's not a critical system.

So a resolution of sorts on my original post...

had some time this holiday weekend, got back into the bay with the receiver with my meter. Figured I'd check to see if it was getting power etc. Pulled the module, pulled the harness, checked the plugs... yes, 12v on the harness, no issues. FYI, as part of my troubleshooting before I had reseated all the harnesses when it wouldn't flash and click when trying the yellow reset.

So after finding that I did have power, put it all back together and reinstalled in the bay, figured one more try before I screwed the panel shut, and the reset button worked... flashed the park lights and the relay clicked. Did the reprogram of the fob and everything now working again.

Don't ask me... at least now it works, have clean fob contacts and new batteries thanks to suggestions, found the receiver (and while in that area also found other goodies like my Smartwheel module for future reference.)

A head-scratcher but I'll take it.

Ed:

Keep us posted, I did most of the same thing, checked the wiring, and reset the yellow button, and re-programed the fobs, and put it back together. Now I'm not much of a electrical genius, so I never used a meter. but after all said and done, it worked. (for a while).  It seems that when I move the motor home, it stops working, and than it starts working a few weeks or months later.  I have replaced all batteries, cleaned all contacts.  I think there is a troll living under the dash, that is moving something and causing the power to drain. like a loose wire?

Jim

Jim, Where is the receiver located on your Journey? Do you have a picture? Mine is intermittent as well and I would lie to troubleshoot it some.

I have had ongoing issues with the keyless entry system. Along with all the suggestions in this post I have found that the FOB needs to be cleaned on a regular basis. The symptoms are the FOB stops working with no clicking or the compartments locking works but the door does not. I keep the contacts at the door frame clean.
To clean the FOB remove the two small screws and remove battery. Lift the PC board with a small screw driver. It is held in place by the small rubber grommet positioned over a small plastic post. Remove the rubber like piece that makes contact with the PC board and I clean both with isopropyl alcohol pads. Reassemble in reverse. It has brought my keyless system back to life many times.

Gary

Well lets see if I remember correctly, when I removed the top of the dash, it was in the middle hidden a little but I believe it was lined up with the steering wheel.  just look for a box with some wire coming out of it, and a ( mine was ) little yellow button mine was behind some tape..

When the system is working, i can hear the clicking, the outside and inside light comes on (front door lock open) the compartment locks all open with a loud sound. (click).  Now when it doesn't work, sounds like (nothing) no sound.  I have to use the inside switch to unlock and lock the compartments.  The door lock switch next to the driver works as well. 

Still working on a way to mount a bracket in the bedroom to mount my new TV.  I want to mount it inside the hole the old TV left, and on the outside wall.  need to find the studs if there are any.  I hate to have the bolts showing outside of the motor home looks too tacky..

Thanks Jim, I guess I will have to tear into it and look around. Last time I was in there was replacing the Info Center. Seems like there were several boxes with wires, but I will take a closer look.

Have you looked through the TV retrofit sticky above? Lots of ideas there. I did mine, but the 39K rear TV is mounted in a swing out cabinet and I do not think yours is. I do recall seeing a swing out arm mount used back there, but do not recall where. Luckily the new LED TVs are much lighter which should make the install easier. If you choose to mount to a cabinet wall I suggest fabricating a backing plate to distribute the load over a larger area than just four individual bolts and washers.

Tin man said:
Well lets see if I remember correctly, when I removed the top of the dash, it was in the middle hidden a little but I believe it was lined up with the steering wheel.  just look for a box with some wire coming out of it, and a ( mine was ) little yellow button mine was behind some tape..

When the system is working, i can hear the clicking, the outside and inside light comes on (front door lock open) the compartment locks all open with a loud sound. (click).  Now when it doesn't work, sounds like (nothing) no sound.  I have to use the inside switch to unlock and lock the compartments.  The door lock switch next to the driver works as well. 

Still working on a way to mount a bracket in the bedroom to mount my new TV.  I want to mount it inside the hole the old TV left, and on the outside wall.  need to find the studs if there are any.  I hate to have the bolts showing outside of the motor home looks too tacky..

Probably aren't any studs you can use. What about making a ply wood "U" shaped insert you can screw to the side walls of the existing cabinet and then install the mount on the back of the "U" insert.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bridger
Back
Top Bottom