Kitchen sink stink

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flyingtexan

The vent for my kitchen sink grey water is under the kitchen sink. It occasionally stinks up the trailer. Now is one of those times. I keep the valve open but am thinking of closing it and treating it like a black tank and treating it with the blue stuff and emptying it every couple of weeks. Just curious what everyone is doing regarding this. We live full time in our 5th wheel.

I'm assuming its one of those pop-up vents? My guess would be its not working properly and should be changed. It should draw air in when draining and not let any air/fumes out. I think in my RV the sink is vented into the stink pipe thru the roof? Curious now. I'll have to take a look when I open it up for the upcoming season.

I also live full-time in my trailer.  I'm super careful to not allow noticeable chunks/solids of food stuff to go down the sink drain.  Yes, it requires paying more attention, and a little more effort to wipe out dishes and pans with paper towels prior to washing, but it helps prevent the food (organic matter) from decaying and causing odors in the tank AND from settling in the tank where it remains decaying even when you dump.  I've not had any problems . . .but I don't know where mine is vented.  I use a strainer at times if I have left-over noodle soup or similar so I can pour the liquid down the drain, but capture the solids.

I also purchased a liquid "grey water" tank treatment - mostly because I had some musty odors around the bathroom grey tank. Got mine from Amazon, but ACE hardware, RV supply stores and other places have it as well.  Added about 1/4 - /12 cup after last dump and odors are gone.  I used it in the kitchen sink drain also just for "grins".  Rather than the black tank chunks, there are several LIQUID formulations for use in grey tanks.  I'd try treating it with grey tank formulations, (may take more than one time) before closing everything up.

Linda

You need to replace the air admittance valve under the sink - it's not working.  It's a standard plumbing part (not RV specific) and just slips on/off the riser pipe. Available at any home store, plumbing supply and many hardware stores.

As Gary said, replace the air admittance valve.  I would not keep the valve open and allow the sewage odors from the entire campground to vent into your system.  Yes, your roof vent or faulty AAV is a vent for the entire sewage system when the valve is open.  I would close the valve, add a tank cleaner and fill the tank completely, then drain and flush after giving it time to work.

When you say you keep the valve open I assume you mean the gray water tank drain valve. I leave mine open all the time and never put chemicals in the tank and never have a odor issue.

As far as the smell, I'd remove the air admittance valve and try taping a baggy over the end of the pipe and see if the smell does away. If it does, then you'll know it's the valve and it needs to be replaced.

Flyingtexan said:
The vent for my kitchen sink grey water is under the kitchen sink. It occasionally stinks up the trailer. Now is one of those times. I keep the valve open but am thinking of closing it and treating it like a black tank and treating it with the blue stuff and emptying it every couple of weeks. Just curious what everyone is doing regarding this. We live full time in our 5th wheel.
Flyingtexan
Any RV sewer tank dump valve, (grey or black), kept open is a vent for the entire sewer system, (campground or municipal),  to which your sewer hose is connected.

I have a 2017 Holiday Rambler. 2 bathrooms and 3 sinks.  None of the sinks have those vent caps only direct draining to tanks.  I have a strong odor coming from under the front bathroom sink.  Checked out with a flashlight and no leaks.  Emaciator is in a bay directly under the sink.  When I open the outside door I also get an odor but again no leaks found! Sooooo what is causing the odor?  Is it possible the Duckbill valves are bad in the pump?  Or the vents on top of the coach?  Any help appreciated. 

Dreamsend said:
it requires paying more attention, and a little more effort to wipe out dishes and pans with paper towels prior to washing, but it helps prevent the food (organic matter) from decaying and causing odors in the tank
Linda

Dogs make very good food "vacuum cleaners', ever consider one ?  ;D

I have a 2017 Holiday Rambler. 2 bathrooms and 3 sinks.  None of the sinks have those vent caps only direct draining to tanks.  I have a strong odor coming from under the front bathroom sink.  Checked out with a flashlight and no leaks.  Emaciator is in a bay directly under the sink.  When I open the outside door I also get an odor but again no leaks found! Sooooo what is causing the odor?  Is it possible the Duckbill valves are bad in the pump?  Or the vents on top of the coach?  Any help appreciated.
Look again for the stand pipe with an air admittance valve under that sink - I would be extremely surprised if there is none. The plumbing code pretty much requires it nowadays.

"Emaciator"? What's that?  Are you perhaps referring to a macerator pump for dumping the waste tanks?  That has no effect if the dump valve is not open.

The vents on the roof are always open. They are there to equalize air pressure, not to emit fumes. If they were plugged, water wouldn't flow down the drains.

I almost always leave my gray tank open as the DW likes long hot showers, and does laundry on a daily basis. I do however set up the sewer hose with a "P" trap in the line. I do that by using a sewer support for the hose, and letting the end of the hose, usually by the RV "droop" 6" before the sewer support.  That causes a small bend that holds water, just like under the sink in any house and most RV's (unless a duckbill waterless trap is used).

The "P" trap in the hose keeps the odors at bay and keeps me from needing to open and dump the gray tank daily. On days that I dump the black tank I close the gray valve before taking the morning showers. That way I can pull the gray tank and flush the hose after the black tank is dumped. 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Timjbodjb
Back
Top Bottom