Kodachrome Basin to Escalante Grand Staircase to Escalante Petrified Forest - ??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JHarpJ

Google map tells me that the drive on hwy 12 from Kodachrome Basin State Park to Escalante Grand Staircase National Monument is 26 miles, 1 hr & 41 minutes  then on to Escalante Petrified Forest State Park is 42 miles, 2 hrs & 10 minutes.

This seems like too much time to drive a short distance, is there something I should know about the road or driving conditions.
Thank you in advance?

That's such a beautiful area you may be stopping frequently for photos, so the drives could take even longer :)

Look at the topo on this road.  12 from Capitol Reef down to Escalante has some steep sections.  We saw many RV's on it, but I don't think I would take mine.  I guess I would if needed, but it is relly hilly with some grades around 10%, in fact I think we found a 14% grade.  (north of Escalante)

Yes, there was a 14% grade on rt. 12 along with that very narrow section with no shoulders and very steep drop into a canyon on either side. Also, if one continues on to Capital Reef, there is a 9600' climb over Boulder mountain.

I won't be taking my rig over that road. :)

JHarp-

I believe I duplicated the Google maps route you plotted, because I came up with 26.3 miles and 1 hr. 41 min.  That route is not on Hwy 12;  it is on a dirt/gravel road called Cottonwood Canyon Rd.  And the point it takes you to is literally out in the middle of nowhere.  Then the leg to Escalante Petrified Forest takes you north on what appears to be an unnamed gravel/dirt road, which is why it is 2 hrs.

If you turn on the satellite imagery for google maps and look closely at the road, it appears that this is basically a 4wd track.

Where specifically in GSENM are you wanting to go?

Of course I may be wrong about the route you plotted on Google, but I'm pretty sure that's it.  Auto-type on Google maps brings up "Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument, Kane, UT" and plots a point on the map that is out in the middle of the desert.

As others have said, it's steep, narrow and twisty. The only time we did that route was following the Pennings. Chris P thought he was back in the days when he raced the Monte Carlo Rally, and we beat any time you see on maps  ;D  Since my other half was driving, I was looking down at those steep drops  :eek:

GRST is a really big area. Visitor centers are in Kanab and Big Water (north of Page) on Hwy 89. It's beautiful country.

Tom - Would you drive that route again at a calmer, slower pace ? Is it ok for a big rig?

Wendy

Wendy, Maybe. Apart from being scared, yelling at (my) Chris to slow down, and having limited visibility due to snow falling, I didn't get to see much. So I don't really know what I missed. But the road is certainly drivable at a more sane pace  ;D

I'm glad I wasn't a passenger in Chris P's rally car  :eek:

I'll be interested to hear back from the OP on what route Google Maps actually plotted for him.  I don't think it was really on Hwy 12, because there's nothing really associated with the monument that's 26 mi. away from Kodachrome Basin on Hwy 12.  The town of Escalante shows as being 41 mi., but only an hour drive.  I'm pretty sure the route he looked at is on dirt roads (typical Google Maps).

Thanks for the info on Hwy 12; we'll be driving it for the first time in June.  Probably at slower speeds than Tom.

Scott,

Tom wasn't driving; I was hanging on with my eyes closed  :(

FWIW we have a 38 foot Class A DP and tow a Suburban (weighs around 8,000 lbs).

True enough.  I meant to say "Tom's better half."  ;D

We will be in a 36' DP and only towing a Honda, so I'm sure that will feel like sports car by comparison.  Ha.

(OK, sorry for hijacking JHarp's thread)

The UT-12 Scenic Byway is in my opinion one of the great scenic routes in the Lower 48. I would suggest exploring it without the RV, which will also help you decide whether you want to drive the RV on it. There are many great places along the way that you will not see by simply driving through. There are also some great  Scenic Backways off UT-12 to explore and great Hiking Trails. If you want an alternative route from Bryce to Torrey, take US-89 North to UT-62 East. At Koosharem, turn right on Browns Lane. Turn right East on UT-24 to Torrey and Capitol Reef.

Utah Scenic Byway 12 is indeed a beautiful area and we've driven it in a motorhome BUT the final stretch of Highway 12 climbs to an elevation of 9,200 feet.  If you have any health issues affected by altitude, go another route.  Actually that one narrow area someone else mentioned can be terrifying to the passenger because of the steep dropoff and the driver is so busy watching the road that he/she misses the beauty.  I recommend driving it in a car which is more comfortable and more enjoyable.

ArdraF

Okay all you guys - great job of responding.

This segment of my planed route is (or possibly was) to travel West to East visiting Bryce, Kodachrome Valley, Grand Staircase Escalate, Escalate Petrified Forest then proceed around the west and north side of Capital Reef visiting Goblin Valley on the way North.

My entire route plan can be seen by clicking this link ~>  http://www.tinyurl.com/2013RouteNorth

Visiting Grand Staircase has me leaving hwy 12 onto a dirt road which I didn't realize until it was correctly pointed out by members of this group. Thank you for that.

Could somebody be more specific as to where the real steep portion of hwy 12 is ? Any suggestions on the best way to get around it to include Goblin Valley in our tour ?

Thanks, Jim

Jim,

There are several steep sections from Escalante to Capital Reef but the 9600' climb is over Boulder mountain, just before you get to Capital Reef. It will be a long pull and then a long downhill run. It basically starts in the little town of Boulder.

We just did it in the car and it was enjoyable but I would not have seen half the stuff if I had been driving our 40' coach. :) There are several pull offs on the Grand Staircase/Escalante side but most will not accommodate a large coach and toad. That narrow section reminds me of The Ridge Ride we have done in Quartzite. Very narrow at that point and the driver will not have a chance to see anything.

There is a really neat coffee house along the route. They serve lunch and coffee. It's called the Kiva Koffee House. Much more reasonable than dining in Boulder! There is parking for RV's but it is limited. Coming from Escalante, it's on a downhill curve and easy to miss.

Looks like an awesome trip. I wouldn't worry about the steep section of Hwy 12, just take it slow and enjoy the scenery.

I'm not sure where you're planning on stopping in Escalante-Staircase NM, but you will see and enjoy the scenery.

If you like boondocking, there's a great spot on the road to Goblin Valley.

If you decide to skip Starvation Reservoir, there are some great fossil spots near Price.

We drive that stretch from I-70 north to Baker City Oregon a lot if you want any tips on easy stopping spots and overnighters.

Enjoy the trip !
Wendy

JHarpJ said:
[size=12pt]...Could somebody be more specific as to where the real steep portion of hwy 12 is ? Any suggestions on the best way to get around it to include Goblin Valley in our tour ?...
If you want an alternative route from Bryce to Torrey, take US-89 North to UT-62 East. At Koosharem, turn right on Browns Lane. Turn right East on UT-24 to Torrey and Capitol Reef. Continue on UT-24 East to Goblin Valley. I don't know how to be any more specific than this.

Okay, now having done it I would say Windy was the most correct. My one ton Dodge Diesel pulled my 13,500k 5th wheel up and down and around the whole thing with no worries.
Jim

Great!  Now tell us more details about what you saw/did on the trip so I can get excited for my trip to the same area in 4 weeks.  :)

Back
Top Bottom