Krash!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ernie n Tara

Hi & Happy New Years; A story:

Twas the dark of the night in a peaceful South Florida RV Park. Our Hero is peacefully ensconced in his Motorhome's boudoir reading a David Drake novel.
Ka-Blam!! He's forcefully ejected to bounce off the shower! (well it scared the puppy). Grabbing his sword, he races to defend the palace. Stumbling outside, he confronts the villain, engaging the threatening mace and short sword alternately until he yields; bleeding from numerous wounds.
O.K. its an elderly man who hit the gas instead of the brake on his Golf Cart!
The top hit the edge of the bedroom slide (backed in from the opposite side RV parking place); Hard! It created a Vee shaped dent in the reinforced edge about a half inch inward toward the body of the RV and about four inches high by two inches wide. Since this is both a structural and a sealing surface; I'm somewhat concerned. Does anyone have any experience with a repair to this area. Cost? Potential problems?
The Data:
2006 Georgie Boy Pursuit, 32', 2 slides, Class A
Thanks for any info.
Ernie ~:-(>

Ernie n Tara said:
O.K. its an elderly man who hit the gas instead of the brake on his Golf Cart!

Like you had to tell us it was an elderly old man.  What else in south Florida this time of year.  You have to look out for the baldies & gray hairs! :)

I assume he has some sort of liability insurance?

George,
Better than that, maybe, he has a repairman. Coming over the PM to look, but "says" its an easy repair and common problem. I've got my doubts, but we'll see. I can't imagine that bending that steel flange is common (unless there are more sore(r) heads out there than I've noticed).
See you in Jan.,
Ernie

Just where in South Florida are you, Ernie? Lazydays in Tampa (actually Sefner) has a major RV body shop, but they are probably busy this time of year.  There is another place in Ocala, RV Collision & Restoration, but that's probably well north of you. .

I'd be concerned about that edge too. Contact your insurer, even if he is paying out of his pocket. Always best to get it on record.

Gary,
We're at Sunshine Key RV Park (not highly recommended, but nice pool), just south of Marathon. I will certainly advise my Insurance Company (probably wait to see what the repairman says).
Tx,
Ernie

Well, you probably aren't going to find expert RV repairs in the Keys. On the other hand, body work is body work, pretty much. Any chance of a digital photo of the damage?

Gary,

Ater close examination, its not as bad as it might be:

Pic 1 Dent
Pic 2 skid marks where he was still accelerating backwards
Pic 3 Bonus; Tara knit the dress she's modeling

Ernie

Preview didn't show pic's but Posting anyway

Attachments

• DentPicC310.jpg
    DentPicC310.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 139
  • SkidPicC310.jpg
    SkidPicC310.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 108
  • TaraRedDrC310.jpg
    TaraRedDrC310.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 160
PS May not be as good as I thought. The slide still operates, but it is noisier than before and "catches" or stalls when being moved.
Slide appears to be in its original place laterally, but ???
We'll see what the guy says when he gets here, but this could be a real PITA.
Ernie

Gotta watch out for those old men in golf carts, they are deadly.

DO NOT let his repair guy do the work, unless it happens to be through a reputable shop that is close to your home.  Otherwise you will end up getting it "repaired", and be left without recourse a few months down the road (literally) when you realize the slide is still having problems.  This would probably be best handled by an insurance company and a 3rd-party repair facility who has no previous connection to you or the other guy.

All,
Actually, it turns out that this may work out ok. His repairman is a retired operator of an RV repair facility in IL. Seems to really know his stuff (I owned and operated a garage for seven years - I'm pretty comfortable with this stuff myself) and not trying to sweep anything under the rug. Obvious damage has been repaired (except for cleaning off the blue paint. He'll do that Monday after he picks up some rubbing compound and he'll pull the cover off the slide drive so we can inspect it.
Thanks,
Ernie

Was  Lady in the red dress was not outside at the time of the crash? Old man may have had showing off.... popping wheels, Burn outs or doing donuts.

Damage looks not too serious.
Tara looks great!!
I'm still spooked about the shower and grabbing his sword!!!
Was he in the shower? And even more disturbing, what "sword" did he grab?

Hopefully, Details at 11.

I am somewhat bald and gray haired so this week I am going to check my drakes in my golf cart. I also have insurance because sometimes there is some drivers that need to stay away from operating there carts and sober up.

I would first have him contact his insurance co. and let them deal with it. My daughter was rear ended a few months ago and I called my insurance co. they advised me to call the other parties insurance co to start the claim, because if they got invoved I would have to pay my deductable and them try to get it back form the other insurance co.

Besides he hit you, let him do the work. But get all the insurance information and claim number befor he can take off on you.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom