LCD TV Installation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here are the pics I mentioned, forgot to upload:
https://picasaweb.google.com/chrishibbard7/DropBox?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCOSjzeuu-cKJhgE&feat=directlink

took a 1/2 day trip w/ goal in mind of testing the system out.  It worked pretty well, the straps remove the front-to-back sway, which wouldn't been a problem if I'd only bolted the stand down.  I plan to lay the TV down (but still strap in with the 2 bottom straps) while driving and NOT playing videos/ navigation/ computer use. 

I'm using 2 steel rings for each strap, like the "D rings"  on an old motorcycle helmet, to attach the straps of the harness to the permanently mounted (shorter) straps on the bunk and cabinets.  Feels very solid, the strapping is lightweight 1-1/2" poly, $0.17/ft from http://www.strapworks.com/Polypro_Webbing_p/lwp112.htm. 
The my wife sewed up using "coat" nylon thread, I think 70 lb test, double-sewn in tight zigzag pattern, in square boxes and Xs at eat point. 

I have no offiliation w/ the company, first-time customer, but I found them ridiculously cheaper than buying locally, especially for velcro!  I bought 50' of 1-1/2" "velcro" (not velcro brand) for $0.76/ft (each foot means 1ft of "hooks" and 1 ft of "loops", so 2 feet of material for 1 foot of usable (both sides) velcro).  I plan to velcro everything, everywhere now, this price is so good! 

Oh yeah: when all bunks are full of sleeping people, the TV fits nicely between the dinnette and the cab (driver's seat), though I probably need to put something protective over it, so it won't get climbed on by little feet during the night.

I love to see all the projects. My husband wants to also do something like this so its very nice when you guys take the time to post your pictures. Thanks and looks great!

Here's another way to do it. We removed the old TV, the notched each side for a frame to fit inside. (see pictures) We made a wooden box frame and fastened it to the back of the new Vizio 32" HD LCD using the predrilled holes on the back for use with a wall mount. Then we slid the box on the back of the TV into the notch and screwed it tight with 3 scews into the box inside by drilling holes in the outside walls of the original cabinet. After the TV was in, there was a gap at the bottom because the height of the new TV was shorter. We used the space to install a Sony Blue Ray player, and then finished off the bottom to match the original cabinet.

We have made several trips, including to Boston and back from Illinois, and the TV has never budged.

http://s1141.photobucket.com/albums/n598/parttymer/RV%20TV%20modification/

Awesome job!  I dare say that think is the most sturdily install component in your MC, just after the engine block!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reggiejay1591
Back
Top Bottom