Leaking Air conditioner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nologo

Hello all. I have 2 AC's in my RV. The rear one is leaking water from the condensation on the bed in the back. I looked and stuck my hand up in there to see if the drain line(which I couldn't find) was clogged but felt nothin. I tried tilting the RV a little to left and then a little to the right, but still there is a leak. Any Idea's? its aggravating me to death.

An AC that leaks condensation inside might indicate the drain track has become clogged.? ?You'll have to get on the roof and remove the shroud and look along the sides where the water drains.? The channels on both sides should have drain holes, so the AC will drain from either the left or right.

One or both of those channels may be clogged with debris.? You may want to carefully clean out the drain holes with a blunt screwdriver, being careful not to damage any of the AC lines or the roof.

Please be careful on the roof, and to wear shoes with a good grip, because some RV roof materials are very slippery, especially when wet.? Many RVers have fallen from their roofs, some with permanent spinal injuries.? ?If you are not comfortable getting up on the roof, have a competent technician do it for you.

We want to keep our Forum members healthy!

That sounds like just the direction I was looking for. I new it could be done but I wasn't sure how to do it. Thanks for the help. I'll give it a try and hopefully that fixes it, I'll let you know. I 've been on the roof quite a bit and I will be careful, thanks for the advice.

Almost every unit I've had, it seems as tho I've had to clean those suckers.  Ah well just normal maintainence

Another likely cause is simply a slightly loose a/c unit.  If th emounting bolt sloose a bit, the condensation (which runs out on the roof) can leak back underneath the unit and down through the opening.  Also, there is a gasket underneath around the opening, but it can be loose or torn.  Again, the solution is to open her up and take a look. Tighten the mounts as well as  checking the drain.

Most  types of units that I have seen are bolted from the inside (up through the air return opening) but the three major brands (Dometic/Duoherm, Coleman Mach and Carrier) vary in their designs and here may be other mounting schemes. However, all basically just clamp to a gasket on the roof,  so they can leak if they shake loose or of the gasket is damaged.

Good point, Gary!  I should have remembered because we had a leak while driving in the rain which was corrected by tightening the bolt from inside.  Had the other situation as well :(

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoadSage
Back
Top Bottom