Leash Laws

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not too much off topic, but I get aggravated with people with the retractable leashes that want their dog to love up to mine. I always have her on leash but even so being a protective Border Collie she's flipped dogs twice her size that she thinks might be a threat to me.  I'm afraid the next one might be her last one, at her age.  So I tell people 'stop' and gotten puzzled, insulted looks, but just because your dog is friendly with everyone doesn't mean mine is.  Which is why she's on a leash.
When they say a 6' leash, please obey it.

Maddie, I'm with you!  One of my dogs was abused as a pup and will not tolerate a strange dog invading his space (which I am the center of).  He is fine with leashed dogs but I always worry about the day someone has their dog off leash and it bounds up to us.  I know I have offended people by telling them to stop approaching us but usually people understand. I found a downloadable image online (don't recall where) that has a stop sign surrounded by "DON'T TOUCH I'M WORKING". I printed it on t-shirt transfer paper and ironed it on to a dog vest.  May seem over the top but people notice and that is all I care about. I usually walk both of our dogs at the same time and if I see an off leash dog we head in the opposite direction immediately. Saw many loose dogs on my trip last weekend and I was so glad I left my dogs at home and did not have to deal with the stress.

For what it is worth, from my observation: Ninty nine percent of dog owners are breaking the rules.

Where ever we go the rule clearly states the leash shall be no longer than six feet.

Need I say more ????

Jack L

-

My better half keeps me on a very short leash  :(

Let me, once again, extol the virtues of my new flashlight, stun/zapper and siren combo. Walking my two lil guys I keep it under my arm light on at night. The piercing siren has been enough to repel boarders so far and also stops my would be pit bulls (in their own minds) from showing aggression toward other animals. I've tried clickers but only get a look from my dynamic duo that says "click this". If worse comes to worse the electric zapper will definitely stop an aggressive animal in a non-lethal way without my having to shoot anyone or thing. I never again want to see my 9 Lb. Yorkie being lifted in the air and shaken in an attempt to break her neck by some unleashed 100 Lb. mutt.
Regards
Capt.

My mother lives in Kansas City and has a reactive dog.  Her trainer suggested that she tie a yellow ribbon on the leash or collar to indicate that people use caution approaching her dog.  She says she since she has been doing this and explained it to others she has met on her walks that she has seen more people doing this. 
I like this idea as it is a visual reminder for others to use caution with your dog.
Here is a link http://www.dogster.com/lifestyle/yellow-ribbon-leash-dogs-campaign
or the Facebook page is  The Yellow Dog Project.

SamSamMom said:
We are so new to RV'ing that our experience has been 1 week in a rented class C @ state park. Liked it so much we are looking to buy. We took 2 small (12 lb) dogs which we were responsible to always leash-and cleanup after. Question: when they woke me up at 3AM to go out, i did not bother leashing them but they went out (with me), did their business, and came back. I was assuming that we were alone and therefore OK.
Anyone: would you object to this? Particularly if you never knew. I do not assume that if you can get away with something it is OK. I love to hear your thoughts.

6 month update: six trips under our belt- mixture of state parks and private parks- have bought 4 'fences' and a dining tent which makes a great space right outside our door- and settles the out-at-midnight question. Not only that, but they have become a great discussion opener- lots of dog walkers stop by to ask questions- for about $200, we have a winner of a solution of letting the dogs have free space.
Recommendation: go to James Island County Park in Charlestown SC- there dog park is almost 2 acres with lake access for dog swimming- we LOVED letting our dogs run and safely socialize with others- BTW, they also have a connected dog park limited to 25 lb or less---

sdasaro said:
......I never again want to see my 9 Lb. Yorkie being lifted in the air and shaken in an attempt to break her neck by some unleashed 100 Lb. mutt.
Regards
Capt.

This would appear to suggest it had happened in the past.  I'm sorry to hear that and hope your pet is OK.

Having a "zapper" means you have to get close enough to said 100 lb mutt to contact it... close enough for IT to contact YOU.  If you're talking about a "gun" style weapon, please be aware that any animal with thick fur will not receive the charge... just like a man wearing two heavy winter coats will not be effected by the "stun guns" you see police using all the time.  Sorry but, any uncontrolled animal attacks mine like that and I don't know if I won't be next...  said animal will go back to it's owner in a box, period.

Back
Top Bottom