Leash Laws

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We stayed at Hat Creek Resort in Old Station, CA recently. The staff did not enforce leash rules and there were two Australian Shepherds allowed to be loose. We won't stay at that park again, it's that simple. Too bad, it was a fairly nice rustic park with a fast moving fishing stream behind it.

I assume an Australian Shepherd says "G'Daye, Mate" before he has at your leg? ?

Hot damn what a topic...LOL I trained my Yorkies' to completely disregard pepper spray and to go for the Achilles tendon then the jugular when the assailant is lying prone on the ground. That's all they can reach n e way..
Seriously though, u guy's have me thinking now about using Fed or State camps. I can b out walking my two lil fur babies (who think they r pit bulls) and have to repel boarders. If I have a 9 Lb. pooch in each hand who protects my err.... more delicate parts? Damn and I thought Central Park was dangerous at night.
Regards
Capt.Steve

We are so new to RV'ing that our experience has been 1 week in a rented class C @ state park. Liked it so much we are looking to buy. We took 2 small (12 lb) dogs which we were responsible to always leash-and cleanup after. Question: when they woke me up at 3AM to go out, i did not bother leashing them but they went out (with me), did their business, and came back. I was assuming that we were alone and therefore OK.
Anyone: would you object to this? Particularly if you never knew. I do not assume that if you can get away with something it is OK. I love to hear your thoughts.

SamSamMom said:
Anyone: would you object to this?

It's a sticky wicket - more than one time, I have been awakened by a startled small dog who on his morning business got distracted and took off. In the grand scheme of world issues, it's an atomic particle.

But....where is the weight limit, what is the "unleashed" time period, what happens when the unleashed little dog bumps into the leashed bigger dog?

I don't want to make this a bigger problem than it is, but leashed dogs is in the top five of most RV etiquette lists. I think it's best, albeit inconvenient, to leash them, and of course, pick up behind them, also probably in the top five list. If it wasn't a problem, almost every RV park I have been in would not have a sign.

Please do not take this as any form of personal criticism, but you asked "would you object?" and my answer would be "in principle". In practice, I am going to be asleep.  8)

SamSamMom said:
We are so new to RV'ing that our experience has been 1 week in a rented class C @ state park. Liked it so much we are looking to buy. We took 2 small (12 lb) dogs which we were responsible to always leash-and cleanup after. Question: when they woke me up at 3AM to go out, i did not bother leashing them but they went out (with me), did their business, and came back. I was assuming that we were alone and therefore OK.
Anyone: would you object to this? Particularly if you never knew. I do not assume that if you can get away with something it is OK. I love to hear your thoughts.
I say always leash your dog. I have been startled by coyotes at a site in Phoenix at night. Plus other dogs may also need out at 3 am, will your dog obey voice commands to stay with you? Our old dog had a UTI last winter and we were in and out most of two nights. You never know who else might be out!

"We have been pet owners for about 40 of 48 married years.  Our dogs were always on a leash except in the house, fenced yard, or dog park."

And haven't learned enough.

"We would let them run if in a remote area with no other people around, and kept a close eye on them."
First off, a dog should never be off leash unless he has been distraction trained and advanced correction trained, and will always come back to the trainer/owner when recalled. And that is very, very, very few owners/dogs, so keep your dog on the leash. You don't have a right to be lazy when it comes to dog ownership.

Second, a dog park is for humans, not for dogs. Dogs don't need doggy friends. Never take your dog to a dog park, you are just begging for trouble. You don't know the humans or their dogs. This socialization/interaction is baloney. Appropriate socialization means training the dog to ignore people, sounds, and places.

A dog needs engagement training so they know that they must keep their eye on you and are not distracted into ignoring you.

As to the pepper spray, I wouldn't get to hung up on that it won't be useful because police dogs and maybe a specific dog has been trained to ignore it. Almost no owners would do that. The other choices are a stun gun, and some dogs will retreat just at the sound of the voltage crack and as another thread responder said, a police baton. Frankly, a small wooden bat ought to do just fine as well. Our job as head of the pack is to protect our dog from attack by an unleashed dog owned by a dingdong owner, even if they are otherwise wonderful RV owners or not.

Well.. So long as they are well behaved no I would not.. HOWEVER on the other hand I've seen well behaved dogs "Go Off" for reasons both good and not good.  Plus there are other distractions and dangers.

Now 3am.. One does not generally expect folks to be wandering around..  On the other hand I've wandered around at 3am due to working the late shift and getting hit with overtime (Which let me out at.. of all hours. 3am)

So.... Would I complain.. Not likely.. But I would not encourage it eitehr.. Generally leash laws, where they exist, make no distinction between 3AM and 3 PM.

If there are leash laws you should obey them regardless of the hour.  In a broader context, however, and because you're new to RVing, you should be aware that your dogs might be in significant danger if you do not have them leashed.  In the desert southwest it's particularly dangerous.  Cactus thorns can get in their paws when they go off trails, coyotes and javelinas are not animals you would want your dogs to encounter, your dogs might endanger the habitat of native critters, etc. etc.  So please do not let your dogs out at any time of the day or night without their leash.

ArdraF

"Anyone: would you object to this? Particularly if you never knew. I do not assume that if you can get away with something it is OK. I love to hear your thoughts."

Mistake. Not just because of leash laws, but because you have no control over your pet and can not protect it if there was a dangerous situation that developed or protect others. Being lazy at any hour is not an excuse.

Our dogs are ALWAYS leashed when we are out and about...no exceptions. Even our GSD who was extremely well trained and who would stay at my side, was never off leash when we were out. Dogs are at best unpredictable, and I love my dogs enough to be responsible for them.

And on a tangential note there are those who define "leash" as any cord or chain less than 100 feet long. I have seen them think all was in control because the line was tight out in front.  But then the dog took off to the left, or right, etc., and they didn't have time to react--even with a retractable leash.

Mike

While walking my 2 little guys after midnight at St. George Island Campground in Fl. panhandle we came across a black bear. Now, not being a dogie psychiatrist, I can't explain why these 2 dogs that add up to about 19 lbs, would square off against a bear weighing in at ???, but they were game and so was the bear. Their leashes allowed me to get them to advance to the rear. If they were free I would, most likely, have ended up mauled or worse because I leave no man or beast behind. BTW. has anyone tried a stun gun on a black bear??
Yorkie's are Terriers and dk they are small. That's why we need to protect them and the prize possessions of others. There is really no intelligent argument against leashing. When we are home in suburbia my llil guy's have there own fenced in backyard and enjoy free reign. We are all spoiled by this convenience but being on the road requires a different coarse of actions.
Regards
Capt.

Someone.. My broteher I think,, Figured it out.

To a dog.  There is no difference between say a toy poodle and a St. Bernard.. THEY ARE ALL BIG DOGS.

Of course the smaller the dog..  The more likely it is to bite you cause it has to PROVE it's a big as the Saint.

(The Saint on the other hand, only had to prove it was bigger than me... which it was not,, thus it got locked in the garage.. It was however, bigger than the lady of the house I was roofing at the time).

I keep my border collie on a leash always in a park, for her protection.  She's very protective of me and at her advanced age I'm afraid a scrape with another dog might be her last.

It really aggravates me when people with dogs feel like their dogs should 'meet' my dog.  Or they have one of the retractable leashes where they don't have much control.  People assume that since their dog is friendly with others all dogs are.  Just not the case, and I know I've insulted plenty by sharply turning and going the other way.  Protecting my own, and in another day, theirs too.

I've been to a few parks recently that have added a statement to the leash rule saying something to the effect that extendable leashes may not be extended further than the 6 foot limit for fixed length leashes. A good addition in my opinion... 

I agree.
The other day a lady was taking two little ones on extended leashes and carrying a bag of garbage.  She dropped one leash and yelled at me to try to catch the dog.  I said as politely as I could that I can't 'my dog isn't good with others'.  I'm also thinking that you should protect your dog more.  My gal is old but if her dog came running up to me we'd have a fight on our hands. I sped away as fast as possible.  Probably thought I was a real b......

SamSamMom said:

update: (3 trips later) used leashes  consistantly on 1st trip-- and with midnight walks, and the concern mentioned about the dogs taking off, we bought 4 'gates' which allow us to make a fenced in area about 10X10 just outside our door. now we can open the door, let them out, and they are contained. (we saw this solution used by someone on our first outing)  thanks for your comments and input-- we are delighted.

Dog Folks said:
Just a note:  Have a plan "B" for pepper spray. 

I have trained, and many police dogs are trained to ignore pepper spray, even when sprayed into the face. 

Moral: Pepper spray is NOT 100% effective.

Regular pepper spray might not always work, but I'll bet that bear spray will. If it stops an angry grizzly, it will surely stop most dogs..

Joel

Back
Top Bottom