Least trouble-prone makes and models of Travel Trailers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gfmucci

I am in the "dreaming" stage hoping to avoid the "nightmare" stage. Purchase is a few years out.

I've researched the Highland Ridge Open Range, the Venture RV Sporttrek, the Keystone Passport and the Grand Design Reflection. I'm sure I've missed a few that meet my "must have" wish list of:
  • W/D connection (full time occupancy by 1 or 2 adults)
  • Less than 1,100 lbs hitch weight
  • Less than 34' in length
  • Preferably 1 to 5 years old
I've read of many "nightmares" among all of these brands.

Question is (knowing that they all will have "some" or many problems), which brands and models of recent TTs (2015 2022), on average, tend to have the fewest problems, the best and most responsive repair network and the greatest longevity of components, etc? I understand QC is all over the place for most/all brands. A few grand more for longevity and fewer needed repairs would be worth it.

I intend to get something used, so most of the "new unit shop time" will hopefully be in the past.

Knowing which brand has the best or most responsive repair network (or knowing a great independent service center) is probably the most important factoid.:geek:

Last edited:
I wouldn't try to generalize too much based on brand or model. The initial quality on any new RV is inconsistent, i.e. the manufacturing process doesn't deliver identical quality on each and every vehicle produced. Even the higher end brands that invest more in design & materials will still produce some amount of "lemons". Most of the horror stories are first year failures, where somebody's new pride & joy turns out to have multiple defects that keep it in repair shops much of the time. The problem is exacerbated by generally slow and low quality dealer repair services. The advantage of buying used is that somebody else suffered through the early life failures phase.

As Seilerbird says, the ideal purchase is an RV with low wear & tear on the interior & exterior and that has received good care (routine maintenance + necessary repairs).

I'll offer a few general guides:
  • So called "light" or "half ton capable" trailers sacrifice solid construction for lower weight. Not a good trade-off if it can be avoided. Heavy RVs are near always better built.
  • For a given size and level of amenities, the (new) MSRP price gives an indication of the quality of materials and the production process. Even though they move down an assembly line, RVs are hand built and rely on individual worker's skills & having enough time to do the job right. That adds to production costs. For a used RV, you can still look into its original MSRP.
  • Most RVs utilize the same appliances from the same major suppliers. What differs is the plumbing and wiring and the accessibility for service & repairs. Look behind the facade where possible to see if wiring and plumbing is neat, well fastened, and preferably labeled as to its purpose.
  • Pay close attention to signs of water leaks, even on new ones. Both pre-purchase and during your ownership. Stains, rippled or pebbly wall coverings, soft spots, etc, on ceilings, walls and floors. It's the bane of any RV. It's not a serious issue if found and fixed promptly, but can be a hidden disaster if neglected too long.
  • Maintenance records are a big plus. If nothing else, it indicates that the previous owner cared. Unfortunately , dealers often discard them, either because they can contain a previous owners private info, or because they simply can't be bothered to keep track of a bundle of stuff for each rig that passes thru their hands. Heck, they have trouble even keeping track of keys & vehicle titles.

Last edited:
I would suggest you be sure to purchase a pre-covid manufactured RV!!
My TT was a 2016 model year Aspen trail 1900 RB and has been virtually trouble free since purchased. It was also built before Thor purchased Dutchman...

Safe travels and all the best..

On the surface, if its a sticks and staple rv, the quality and issues you may experience is similar to rolling the dice at a craps table. This is an age old question. Its really hard to speculate on used units. Hopefully if a used camper has only been thru the hands of one or two owners, most of the bugs have been addressed, if the rv has covered extensive miles.

One thing I would never buy is a rv that has been a stationary unit somewhere in a campground and attempt to put it on the road out of the gate. Ask out of the gate if there is a log for the rv. This normally means that there has been some attention paid to it before you begin to own it. Ask where its been. And if there is a pause, then you probably should not consider it.

I've read of many "nightmares" among all of these brands.
Since you are shopping used, it is important to remember that no RV is built so well that owner neglect or abuse will not do serious harm, no RV builder is so bad that they have no customers who support them and none is so good that they have no unhappy customers. As one who has owned RVs of some type since 1973 and who has purchased both new and used I don't buy into the stories that these are all bad or that any group are all good. That is just RV mythology. There are RV manufacturers who have better reputations than others and there are those who have lesser reputations. Brands that have better reputations are more likely to age well but a lesser RV that has had regular maintenance and repairs as soon as needed will be better than the top quality RV that was abused and neglected, especially after 5 or more years. The most important thing when buying a used RV is to have it professionally inspected by a certified pre-purchase inspector or if not at least by a mobile technician who has no connection to any RV dealership.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GandalfTheGrey
Back
Top Bottom