Leaving the RV lifestyle...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
...And to think you just did all that work installing the new fridge! :D In all seriousness, I've been aware of you and your wife's battle with cancer through your posts, and I sincerely hope this new path helps you continue on. We're all here for both of you.

Kev

Hey Gary,
I'm hoping all the best to and your wife along with all our prayers! I can understand a little of the situation your in. My dw is a cancer survivor also. Years ago she had to have her stomach removed due to cancer. About four years ago she had a stroke and contracted radical RA. She is now on chemo along with many other meds. We have had to limit our trips to within three hours of home base and have only managed about two trips a year due to her exhaustion after these trips. I am also pondering the sale of our class c because of the limited use. Again, we wish all the best to you and your wife in your new endeavors!

Sorry to hear about your wife's illness and treatments, Gary. Wishing only the best for you both. 
Hope everything goes very well for you.

Always appreciated your remarks and advice on every issue that you commented on, and I hope you will continue to support and add content to this forum.

Warmest regards,
Ron and Joyce

Jeez Gary,

A passage for sure but you  guys are just changing the  venue in which  you play, was  the  motorhome, now a cottage.  Keep us posted on the differences,  likes and frustrations of  your new mode of travel.  All  of us will come to a point where we  know what we  must do  next and yours sounds like a well thought  out plan.  Congrats!

Best  wishes for Nancy's continued courage and successful treatments and for your supportive role.

But  I  am curious as to what  hobbies  are now going to keep  you busy ?  Always an adventure with you two!

Betty,
My hobby is still mostly helping others with their RVs. I write RV articles for magazines and websites, and of course participate here and on Irv2.com daily.  I also get a fair amount of requests for "computer help" from friends. But I'm looking around for new interests, especially since I won't have the motorhome as a source of DIY projects and maintenance chores. I'm an avid maker/fixer of things, so DIY projects are a important part of my life.

The thing we miss most is the social life of itinerant RVing. We loved hosting rallies and visiting others, or being visited, across the country. Most of our best friends are RVers, and we enjoyed meeting up with them in various venues. Our inability to travel as much, and limitations on Nancy's energy level, have reduced our social life substantially.  People still come by to see us, but we mostly can't go to them anymore.  Lunch and an afternoon out is now a big day for us. We are still enjoying life, but at a much reduced pace.

Shifting gears to a rental cottage is a new adventure. Fortunately, a vacation rental around here is not a barebones sort of thing. Our cottage will be nicely furnished, has a gas log fireplace, internet and cable tv, plus is equipped with linens, coffee maker & toaster, a BBQ grill, even a patio set and an outdoor fire pit. Heck, it even has salt & pepper shakers, spice rack,  and a bottle of olive oil! We don't have to bring much but our clothing!

Gary

All you need is a long driveway in NC, we all will be right on down. 8)

Sorry to see it happen but you and Nancy are doing it on your terms. Good luck with the sale.

Jeff,
We will have the driveway, but it's at a fairly steep angle. Hard to find flat spots here in the Great Smoky's! There are two RV parks within 5 miles, though.

Gary, hope that your wife gets better and you can do something else other than RVing in the future.

We sold our coach and toad last March.  Just moving on to another lifestyle.  Since that time I went through Ulcerative Colitis and had my colon removed.

Nice to not have to worry about a coach sitting in the driveway not getting it's proper maintenance.

Our plan was to take more Cruise ship vacations and rent cabins in the Smokies in the summer.  We had to cancel a two month cruise and a three month cabin in the mountains.  Plans are already set for next summer.  Hopefully everything will work this time.

Although I have never had the pleasure of meeting you face to face, your expertise is obviously well respected based on the replies and numerous postings I have read throughout this site.  Your willingness to share that expertise has helped myself and many others during that steep learning curve of owning and working on an RV.  Sorry to hear that you are hanging up the keys but pleased to hear you will continue helping us through some of those, "Why didn't I think of that" moments.  Hope the very best for your wife and her battle. 

We know Nancy's cancer is incurable and 9 years ago her chances of living even 5 more years were rated slim.  But she is still here and we believe it can be held at bay a while longer, so have already made our reservations for next summer. We intend to make the best use we can of the time remaining to her. Ya gotta BELIEVE!

Believing is one of the strongest things to do as I'm sure you know, we all will go sometime but I do hope it is a long time from now and peaceful for all.

Hi Gary and Nancy,

What a shock, but from reading your past posts from years back figured this day might come sometime. Nancy is in our prayers and hoping for her continued well being. It was a goal of mine to spend a day with you folks sometime, ideally in Florida, when I visit my aunt. Figured I could keep you entertained for hours with what I don't know.  ;D

I am hoping to see your posts here, as you have time. You are certainly an important resource here. It is understandable though for you to take this time and spend it with your wife. I want to thank you many times over for all your kind help you have offer me, and the help you have given to others like myself when we come on board to this lifestyle.

Continued prayers and well wishes to you both!!!

So sorry your wife is going through that.  I had a year of it myself last year and i know it is hard.  Sounds like you have worked out a good plan to remain somewhat adventurous! Best of luck to you!

I BELIEVE, and I'll always have you and Nancy in my thoughts and prayers.

At 75 this DEC, maybe I need to stop wanting a good class B, but we haven't stopped traveling. We did 4758 miles this summer, and we still have some trips to make. I have a son an hour N of Ashville in beautiful Erwin TN, and we want to see him next summer. ;)

For us, this is more a change of mode than quitting.  We've been spending much of our time in one place, either the Maine coast or here in western NC, for the past 5-6 years, but now we will spend it in a fixed, rented building rather than an RV. We expect to continue living much the same.  This is mostly a financial decision and we expect to save several thousand dollars each year by renting instead of owning.

Gary RV Roamer said:
For us, this is more a change of mode than quitting.  This is mostly a financial decision and we expect to save several thousand dollars each year by renting instead of owning.

A neighbor here at Happy Trails describes the day they sold their DP a couple of years ago as the biggest pay raise he ever received.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KEC
Back
Top Bottom