Leveling Jacks not working

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jasonpach

I am considering purchasing a 1999 Coachman Catalina (Class A, 34 ft)with 54K miles. During the inspection it was discovered that the Leveling Jack's do not work. The dealer will not replace the jacks.

I have read that some use Scissor Jacks to level/stabilize, use that a viable option? I have read about Electric Levelers, is that an option or do I walk away and look for another RV.

Any help is appreciated and value different opinions.

I would not use scissor jacks on a motorhome. They're designed to stabilize, not to lift and level such a heavy unit.

If the levelers don't work, then what other maintenance has been skimped on or neglected? Are there water stains or water damage, lots of missing screws, caulking (especially on the roof) that isn't kept up so may well leak, overdue oil and lube, and perhaps other things?

With that dealer attitude and not knowing its overall condition, I'd drop it, since a rig that old that is not well maintained can be a money pit.

But if you decide to look more closely I'd get a professional inspection by either a mobile RV repair guy or one who specializes in RV inspection -- certainly not by that dealer.

Luck...

Usually when a Dealer won't fix a key component of the RV, it's all about the $$$. Maybe ask them for an estimate to repair and make that part of your decision making process. If you do get it, I'd have them repair it prior to closing the Deal, all sorts of less than ethical things happen at RV shops. Good Luck.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lizwood71
Back
Top Bottom