Leveling tandem axle trailer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pbecker89

IMG_2176.jpeg
Is this acceptable or hard on the axle? It’s so simple for a quick overnight stay. I have it on the 3.5” pad, and I have my 4 corner levelers down to support the trailer.

Are you asking if it is OK to have the axles not on the same level as each other? If so, then yes, it's OK.

Yes, that’s what I was asking. Thanks for your response. Just wondering if the uneven axles was bad?
Not at all. That's why your trailer has the see-saw like equalizer bar between each pair of axle springs, to adjust the spring rates and let each axle rise and fall independently of the other.

Is this acceptable or hard on the axle? It’s so simple for a quick overnight stay. I have it on the 3.5” pad, and I have my 4 corner levelers down to support the trailer.
It's no different than if you raised or lowered the tongue jack, shifting more weight to one axle or the other.

I'm curious why you did that, though. Generally you use the pads under the wheel to level side-to-side, so both wheels on one side would raised the same amount. And use the tongue jack for fore & aft leveling.

It's no different than if you raised or lowered the tongue jack, shifting more weight to one axle or the other.

I'm curious why you did that, though. Generally you use the pads under the wheel to level side-to-side, so both wheels on one side would raised the same amount. And use the tongue jack for fore & aft leveling.
Because it’s a lot easier and quicker to just place the single ramp and back up. I have the two wheel levelers as well, but it’s a little more complicated and time consuming. I can have the side-to-side leveled in less than a minute with the single ramp shown.

OK, I get it. The only risk I see is that if the back wheel ramp is high enough and you also have to raise the tongue jack a lot to get fore & aft level, you shift a lot (or even all) of the side weight onto one wheel. Short of that extreme, no worries.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Garwaldo
Back
Top Bottom