Levelling pad fell off

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DonTom

I just got done setting up at the Lordburg KOA in New Mexico. After I was all set up, I looked under the motorhome and could NOT see one of the levelling pads.

How does the auto level sensing work? Where is it located? I just want to know if I am still level with the pad missing.

The last place I was at where I used and looked at the pads was in DeRidder, LA. Since then, I have hit a few rough roads and a couple of small potholes.

I retracted the levelers here and found this (good one shown below the missing one):missing.JPGokay.JPG

The missing pad should not affect how the system works…. level is determined by a sensor or sensors. I see many place a plastic pad or a piece of wood underneath one of the corners to get a little bit more extension out of one of the jacks.

All that being said, I’m basing that off how the system on my RV works. Others probably have much more in-depth knowledge than I.

The picture is a bit grainy but it looks like the induction or friction weld failed…either hit something or an offset load.

level is determined by a sensor or sensors.
Where are the sensors located?

The picture is a bit grainy but it looks like the induction or friction weld failed
It was getting a bit dark when I took those photos, especially underneath this thing. I am not yet sure, but I think it's a hollow cover with a bolt that goes over the leveling thingy.

I will take a better look in the morning.

-Don- Lordsburg, NM

Ya got me on the sensor location…others swill have to chime in, but, my educated guess is the sensor is “in” the control panel you use to actuate the jacks…again, a guess.

Think of a pendulum surrounded by contacts. If you are level. no contact if you are not one or more of the contacts is contacted by the pendulum.

The ideal location is found by taking two strings. tie one to the right front and left rear jack. the other to the left front and right rear. X marks the spot. above the x

The ideal location is found by taking two strings. tie one to the right front and left rear jack. the other to the left front and right rear. X marks the spot. above the x
Does that mean you believe the levelling sensor could be under the motorhome dead center between the jacks?

-Don- Lordsburg, NM

That sensor could be just about anywhere on the RV but it is probably near the center but I would suspect that it is inside of the coach where it isn't subject to the weather. It wouldn't have anything to do with the footpads since they aren't level anyway. What I would be concerned about is damaging the jack where the footpad is supposed to be as it will sink into many types of surface if you don't put something under it and it may destroy the ability to install a new footpad when you get one. If it is like mine the footpads are held in place by one bolt that is in the center of the pad and threaded up into the center of the jack.

from abve:

• The leveling system has a sensor in the basement that identifies when the coach is totally level. If you are up and moving around while auto leveling is in process, that sensor can’t find the proper level. Be sure everyone is still and not moving gear around during leveling.
  • Select Auto Level. The system is preprogrammed in the factory to know zero-points, or levels.

Does that mean you believe the levelling sensor could be under the motorhome dead center between the jacks?

-Don- Lordsburg, NM
On my Bigfoot jack system, the auto leveling sensor box is bolted to the inside of the firewall near the control panel. There's a calibration routine using the panel buttons. Older HWH jacks did use a swinging pendulum and switches, but the more modern systems use solid state sensors. Even many cell phones have a level sensor module these days. Where the level sensor is located in the RV is pretty much irrelevant since it's calibrated for where it's located.

What I would be concerned about is damaging the jack where the footpad is supposed to be as it will sink into many types of surface if you don't put something under it and it may destroy the ability to install a new footpad when you get one.
Here it is sand, soft ground. When I first noticed it, I thought the pad could have been simply buried under the sand. I decided the extract them to take a look and then discovered the pad was missing.

-Don- Lordsburg, NM

sensor in the basement
That probably means inside one of the outside compartments. Like where my solar controller is located--and the pump for the leveling jacks. Perhaps I could find it if I had a clue what it looks like. This motorhome has all types of stuff I don't recognize.

-Don- Lordsburg, NM

I had that happen to me on a new motorhome on the second trip. I used a wood block under it until I got the replacement. I suggest you do that as well.
Yeah, I have a wooden block with me from Mayo, FL, where I was using it under the sidestand so the motorcycle wouldn't fall over. I can use that for the jack, but here I don't need it as I am on sand.

BTW, is this a warranty issue?

-Don- in cold (in real-feel=21F) windy Lordsburg, NM

If you damage the threads that your pad uses to connect by leveling with no pad that will not be warranty as you are making the damage worse.
A lot of people won't even notice when they fall off, so be sure to check them often.

-Don- Lordsburg, NM

Might want to try and protect the jack from getting damaged while it is extended with no pad, just to make sure your warranty stays intact.

Use that piece of wood you have under it.

@DonTom

Back
Top Bottom