LiFePO4 bargain

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Great, but the price is a bit deceptive. Unlike others, these don't qualify for free shipping which adds $40 to the price of each battery. Brings the cost up to $206 each, similar to several other batteries that include free shipping.

In theory it's when the internal temperature reaches that point. Most LiFeP04 batteries with cold weather charging protection have their cutoff set a bit higher, around 40 degrees F.
I discovered the hard way it was a mistake to put a LiFeP04 12V battery in my Tesla for that reason. It is often below 40F here in Reno and when the Tesla is being charged, the 12-v LiFeP04 battery can open. Then I have to go through a 20-minute procedure to get rid of the error message. The message stays forever after I once get the message to replace the 12-volt battery, even when the battery comes back to life with a full charge.

For the winter, I will put back in the stock 12-volt battery which was an AGM, IIRC. I would do it now, but I left that battery in Auburn.

I had to do this procedure just yesterday because the battery turned off during my RV trip. Teslas lose a lot of juice over a month and must be left plugged in, unlike my Chevy Bolt which lost nothing during the entire trip and was not plugged in. The Tesla HV battery can lose up to 1% per day when not being driven. A lot goes on in Teslas when they are not being driven. Has both advantages and disadvantages, but the draw on the HV battery is by far the biggest Tesla disadvantage of this. But not as much of an issue with the stock 12V battery.

-Don- Reno, NV

Great, but the price is a bit deceptive. Unlike others, these don't qualify for free shipping which adds $40 to the price of each battery. Brings the cost up to $206 each, similar to several other batteries that include free shipping.
Good catch. When I purchased this battery a year ago shipping was free. I have no idea if this battery has low temperature cutoff because I'm never in a cold enough spot to test it.

In theory it's when the internal temperature reaches that point. Most LiFeP04 batteries with cold weather charging protection have their cutoff a bit higher, around 40 degrees F. They'll deliver power down to -10 or -20F, they just can't charge until they warm up above freezing.
Thanks Lou! Our golf cart is going to need batteries soon. Four of those at that price is less than six 8 volt flooded wet cells. (Though a new charger will balance the cost.) The golf cart lives about an hour south of Tampa, so the charging temp will not be a factor.

Thanks Lou! Our golf cart is going to need batteries soon. Four of those at that price is less than six 8 volt flooded wet cells. (Though a new charger will balance the cost.) The golf cart lives about an hour south of Tampa, so the charging temp will not be a factor.
I replaced the (6) 6 volt batteries in my 36 volt golf cart with (3) Chins 12 volt 100 a/h batteries last year. At $300 each the cost was almost a wash. I was able to tweek my existing charger to provide the 43 volts (14.4 volts per battery) needed to reach 100% SOC. The Chins (now Ampere Time) work great, but you need a shunt based battery monitor to keep track of how much charge remains in the batteries. Lithiums don't gradually fade out like lead acids so a voltmeter isn't much help, they give close to full performance until they're empty and then stop, like a car running out of gas. Caught me once before I added the monitor.

I replaced the (6) 6 volt batteries in my 36 volt golf cart with (3) Chins 12 volt 100 a/h batteries last year. At $300 each the cost was almost a wash. I was able to tweek my existing charger to provide the 43 volts (14.4 volts per battery) needed to reach 100% SOC. The Chins (now Ampere Time) work great, but you need a shunt based battery monitor to keep track of how much charge remains in the batteries. Lithiums don't gradually fade out like lead acids so a voltmeter isn't much help, they give close to full performance until they're empty and then stop, like a car running out of gas. Caught me once before I added the monitor.
Good tip on the battery monitor… thanks!

Back
Top Bottom