light weight 4 season fifth wheel RV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oliver q

I try to find a light weight 4 season fifth wheel RV for retirement, max weight around:11600lbs, length between 30'to35'. sleep 2 to 4 people is fine. I am thinking Tesla cybertruck to tow. Its tow capacity just 14000Lbs. we like ski in winter. Does anyone can give me some recommendation? Thanks!

Does the tesla have at least a 3500 pound payload capacity? You will need at least that unless you are going to let it drive itself and you follow behind in another vehicle. Short trips should be easy. Long trips, not so much.

For what you want you looking af a 40 foot 20,000 pound fiver that will need at minimum a dually, more likely a MDT.
Light weight means miminal insulation, small holding tanks, small appliances. Their light for a reason. There is NO RV that is truely 4 season. All but one or two are constructed using 2x2 sidewalls, so insulation is at thr absolute minimum. If you want to do as you think you will need to give up a lot. Tesla truck? Not happening. Little towing capacity, not much range. Then there is the obvious, how are you going to recharge it when it dies 50 mil3s from a Tesla charging station?

Maybe a 4 season travel trailer that sleeps 4 in a 30’ model like the Arctic Fox. The Tesla truck probably wouldn’t have a problem with that. Arctic Fox does have a 30’ 5th wheel but the GVWR IS RIGHT AT 14000ibs. Their 30’ TT GVWR is 10700lbs.

Last edited:
Maybe a 4 season travel trailer that sleeps 4 in a 30’ model like the Arctic Fox. The Tesla truck probably wouldn’t have a problem with that. Arctic Fox does have a 30’ 5th wheel but the GVWR IS RIGHT AT 14000ibs. Their 30’ TT GVWR is 10700lbs.
As much as I like the Fox they are still built using 2x2 side walls, meaning limited insulation. Dont know what they use now, but when I owned one it was still fiberglas batts.

The Cybertruck is supposedly rated for a 3500 lb payload, but the bed design doesn't look very suitable for 5W hitch. That's just from the limited photos online - I haven't seen one up close. Be aware that a 3500 lb payload limits a 5W to around 9000-10,000 lbs, even with only a lightweight driver in the truck. 5W pin weight is 20%-25% of the trailer gross weight.

In any case, finding a sturdy & well-insulated RV trailer is a challenge at any weight and isn't going to be light or inexpensive. The better ones are all in larger sizes - there isn't much market for smaller rigs at the sort of price that quality design & construction commands.

People do camp at ski resorts in RVs, but they wear sweaters inside and burn a lot of fuel to stay abreast of the chill leaking into the interior.

I try to find a light weight 4 season fifth wheel RV for retirement, max weight around:11600lbs, length between 30'to35'. sleep 2 to 4 people is fine. I am thinking Tesla cybertruck to tow. Its tow capacity just 14000Lbs. we like ski in winter. Does anyone can give me some recommendation? Thanks!
🤣 lmao

Thanks every friend here! Got a lot of good comments. I will have to give up one or two features.
Actually, I think Tesla is better for driving safe and saving fuel.
I know Rockwood has ultra lite fifth wheel around 9500 lbs (even 33 feet). The typical four season package should be less 2000 lbs. But Rockwood doesn't have that. I wish some brand can make a light weight and 4 season RV.

You just don't seem to grasp the obvious,, put on a warm coat and see that it works,, BECAUSE IT IS HEAVY FOR A REASON.. Now add all the items that have to "gain weight" for the same reason..
We see your kind of reasoning every day on the forum.. Not only is winter climate cold,, but altitude and wind makes it colder yet.. The altitude and cold temps makes LP gas almost useless,, look at the number of windows in the average camper and see another major problem with your notion...>>>Dan ( Studies have shown a range reduction of 20% and more in cold to very cold weather with the average EV,, throw in the defroster,, heater,, lights and a heavy load and you will be walking very soon..) ( we live at 6000 feet at the base of a 12000 mountain in Utah,, we know cold.)

Last edited:
Sarcasm alert

Gee, you're stupid. Don't you know anything about RVs and cold? Don't you know that more stuff is required to keep the cold out of the RV? Were you even raised by humans? Many of us are really smart here and know everything, but you obviously are not smart and don't know anything. Ask us some more questions so that we can imply and insult your stupidity.

Sarcasm over

Some good advice by others above, though it sometimes can come across as condescending.

Do a lot of research before you buy anything.

One option is to buy used and try it out to see what works for you and what doesn't. That way, if you want to trade for something else, you don't take the huge depreciation hit a new one will bring. Just know that buying used can bring its own issues since you don't know what is going to break or need repair.

Keep coming back here and read other's stories and opinions about everything. Watch youtube videos of full timers who will give you great details on their experiences with their rigs. Expect that there is a big learning curve, much of which you won't get to until you actually experience it.

Thanks every friend here! Got a lot of good comments. I will have to give up one or two features.
Actually, I think Tesla is better for driving safe and saving fuel.
I know Rockwood has ultra lite fifth wheel around 9500 lbs (even 33 feet). The typical four season package should be less 2000 lbs. But Rockwood doesn't have that. I wish some brand can make a light weight and 4 season RV.
Again, HOW ARE YOU GOING TO CHARGE THAT TESLA WHEN YOUR POWER LEVEL IS ZERO AND YOUR 25 MILES FROM A CAMP SITE?
Remember the truck may claim 400 mile range. But that range is empty. Load it up and appempt to tow a 10,000 pound trailer and the range will drop like a rock.
Your idea is simply put a disaster waiting to happen.
Even the best diesel trucks might get 18-20MPG empty but load them up and you can be lucky to get 10MPG. Its just the nature of RV life. You want to go RVing, you need to man up and get the proper tools.

To Donn, You are right! Too much risk using Tesla. Best idea is diesel engine with around 20000 lbs tow capacity at this time. It can fit most of 35 feet 4 season fifth wheel.
Thanks again!

Lets step back a couple steps
I have a 2020 Extreme weather package on my 5er. At minus 8 celcius 17f i go through a 30lb tank of propane every 2 days. The water hose freezes from the tap. So no running water. My trailer is 20,000lb gvwr im 18000- 19000 without water but loaded to camp my pin weight is 4200lbs which means i need i 1 ton dually.
A four season trailer like a roughneck

Still wont address most of your requirements

Maybe this will work. Can Teslas be towed flat and if so will they recharge as you go? If they can and do, tow with one and have the other behind the fiver. As one runs down swap over to the other. Someone had to invent a perpetual motion machine!

Thanks Steve Blonde for your experience, compare the price of ski resort. 30lbs tank/2days means not much. Anyway you have RV already. winter use is the bonus. The fee of RV camp site in winter is cheaper too. we can stay for a month when retire.
Just for discuss, if give up 4 season feature. Tesla with Rockwood ultra lite 5th wheel maybe the good idea. In RV, take more battery to keep 400miles range to next charger station. or 5kw generator running on the way like hybrid car. I may not take this idea, I like ski.

Thanks Steve Blonde for your experience, compare the price of ski resort. 30lbs tank/2days means not much. Anyway you have RV already. winter use is the bonus. The fee of RV camp site in winter is cheaper too. we can stay for a month when retire.
Just for discuss, if give up 4 season feature. Tesla with Rockwood ultra lite 5th wheel maybe the good idea. In RV, take more battery to keep 400miles range to next charger station. or 5kw generator running on the way like hybrid car. I may not take this idea, I like ski.
Give it up - i said 30lbs at -8c at minus -15 it would be 30lbs a day easy, plus no running water which means no bathroom no shower no washing dishes, most campgrounds are closed plus fuel for a 5000w genny would be 10 -15 gallons a day and your Tesla isnt going to pull a Rockwood 200km in the winter. This whole scene is a disaster waiting to happen

Thanks Steve Blonde !
I still prefer the diesel engine with around 20000 lbs tow capacity at this time. Electrical car need more improvement for towing.

I'm thinking that RV parks will have to come up with a different fee rate for charging EV's. As far as the Tesla truck is concerned, I'd refrain from throwing rocks at the windows for a while. But I'm waiting for hydrogen fuel engines to surpass EV's

Back
Top Bottom