Living in a Class C RV in the north? Self sufficient?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not mentioned much, but you can't just park the RV anywhere as doing so you would soon get an education about the local vagrancy laws and private property issues. You can't just dump your tanks anywhere and get water for free. And of course most class C RVs do not have insulated tanks so the waste in them would freeze to where you couldn't empty them and might burst them if near full.

And I don't think we even approached the "100# dog in an RV" thing... ;)

We're not trying to talk you out of RVing completely, as clearly most of us here are big fans! But it does have its specific enjoyable uses, and plenty of challenges along the way that can turn your blessing into a curse if not understood and planned for... even WITHOUT winter weather and huge pets. :)
Hah!!! Yeah, I was somewhat foreseeing my dog not only disapproving of my choice if I did it, but also one of the reasons for regret of my choice.

Not mentioned much, but you can't just park the RV anywhere as doing so you would soon get an education about the local vagrancy laws and private property issues. You can't just dump your tanks anywhere and get water for free. And of course most class C RVs do not have insulated tanks so the waste in them would freeze to where you couldn't empty them and might burst them if near full.
I thought about the vagrancy part... I had even contacted a realtor about a 1/3 acre of property that was listed at a low price near me to see if I would be allowed to park there if I purchased it. I backed away after getting the advice from this board.

I did not at all give thought about the freezing tanks!

I'll keep that in mind for when I get an RV for the right reasons sometime down the road.

Thanks, Kirk.

Barry

As I mentioned to another, I definitely did not give thought to that!

Thanks, Bob.
I have prepped in central illinois for Florida wintering in Jnauary and I dealt with single digit temps while loading the RV and its no fun. I had space heaters running, extension cords strung to keep the inside temp bearable which I did. Wintering in actual winter temps in ANY RV is going to be a real challenge as they simply are not designed to do so

The worst thing about living in a motorhome prepped for winter is the windows and doors are made as leak proof as possible which means that you don't get air circulating from the outside so you are rebreathing used air.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom